Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dice for Chase. Sad face!

tag
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

No dice for Chase. Sad face!

I think I mentioned before that I was denied for the Chase Freedom.

I got both my denial letters today - the initial denial and the denial for recon.

• Too many recently opened accounts compared to total accounts
  • Too many recently opened revolving accounts compared to all revolving accounts

The initial denial letter also cities "Credit report shows deliquency."

I even tried to play it off with the Credit Analyst ("Surely, they are STORE cards..they don't REALLY count do they????")

Some scoring system they use...250 - 900 range. I'm 643. They call it "Card Acquisition Risk Score"...lol. I was really hoping to get a EX FICO back, rotf.

Time to garden but i SHALL have a Chase card by the end of this year. Then Capital One and Credit One will have to walk the plank!!

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Re: No dice for Chase. Sad face!

You got a denial letter for recon? How old are your baddies? Inqs? 

Did you talk to a supervisor when you reconned? The frontline CSRs tend to stick to the denail script, at least in my experience. The supervisor will at least be more motivated to try and approve you, even if for a lower limit. It just depends upon the person - some like to get in with what they can get and others like to have a decent limit from the start. There are pros and cons to both.

Yes, store cards are unsecured credit - they absolutely matter.

Message 2 of 6
red259
Super Contributor

Hang in there. Garden for awhile and let your accounts age and then you will be in good shape. It is tough being patient, but patience will pay off in the end when it comes to getting the cards you want. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like they pretty much outlined the items you need to work on.  Don't app for a while, garden, let those inquiries age, build that score up and then you can try them again.

Message 4 of 6
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear. About a year ago when I applied for my Freedom I was on the fence with Chase. Got the approval letter with the exact same reasons for the low application score 684  which was over 100 points lower than my Fico scores. The reason was also due to the app spree. It was a very good lesson for me and I decided not to spree anymore in the future and rather space out my apps. I get much higher limits and better apr if I wait 6 months between my apps.  Btw my Freedom is by far the worst apr with 22,99%...and this only because I was not patient enough with my app. Discover I apped shortly before got me a very low limit.  Sprees are not for me Smiley Embarassed

Message 5 of 6
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

My personal experience w/ chase is to NOT app for them w/ ANY baddies.

They even make you check that radio button/box acknowleding you have no baddies before you get started.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.