Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No foreign exchange fees card recomendation

tag
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

Re: No foreign exchange fees card recomendation

James,

As long as you hold an EU passport and have an EU address, you should be able to get a CC with HSBC, ING, or other big banks there...if you are going for work or school, talk to the company and see what they say - you aren't the only one that's done this!

You may also want to open a bank account with these banks and get a debit card there.

Also, one other recommendation, consider using a "free" debit card the whole time!  USAA doesn't charge ATM fees anywhere in the world (and they refund any bank that does). Therefore, you would only pay the foreign transaction fee.

Personally, I would try opening a bank account there, and then a CC - and keep it when you move back!  Their interest rates are better than ours after all.

good luck!

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 18
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@Lel wrote:

On a related subject, I've seen some articles about how it's sometimes complicated to use US-issued cards in Europe since a lot of merchants are using chip-and-PIN technology.  

Overseas merchants still have the capability to doing an old-fashioned swipe of the card, but apparently it can be a hassle and some merchants are balking (even though this practice does violate the merchant agreement).

I've been in Germany in Poland this past summer for two to three weeks. I used my US-based CCs constantly (swipe) without any problem at all. Probably 60+ transactions. Is this a rumor or do you have actual proof?

Message 12 of 18
yumz89

Re: No foreign exchange fees card recommendation

I just applied for the discover miles card and its pending now. I have a ton of inquiries and I'm afraid I won't be approved. I need the card because of the exchange fees. (plus I get a 75$ Amazon gift card)

Starting Score: 588
Current Score: 768
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 18
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just read that AMEX will be dropping the foreign currency fees on the plat and cent cards. (I couldnt find a major/reliable source, else I would post it). Those cards don't really fit my lifestyle though haha.

I have the amex plat.  No foreign fees on the plat card at this time. 

edit:  The the plat is also chipped.  You just need to tell the csr you need the chip in your card, and they will make sure you get that correct verision of the card. 

Message 14 of 18
nishant1
New Contributor

Re: No foreign exchange fees card recommendation

No foreign transaction fee cards I like are

1) Chase Sapphire Preferred

2) Any of the cards issued by Capital one

3) New Discover It

Message 15 of 18
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

BofA Travel Rewards

1) It has 0 foreign-transaction fee

2) It has a chip in it

3) It gives ~1,5% cashback on everything

BTW, Germany is quite a peculiar country in terms of CC acceptance. It largely depends on a specific region, but in Berlin there are lots of places that accept local EC-cards only (not Visa/MC). If you have a chance to open at least one local card, let it be EC card (debit or credit).

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 16 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

I was going to recommend BofA's BankAmericard Travel Rewards, too. If you have a checking account with them you earn 1.65%. The card also comes with ShopSafe, which I've heard is useful for dealing with imperfectly reliable merchants, such as those in a foreign country.

Message 17 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

#2YearOldThread
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.