Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No foreign transaction fee card w/ average credit

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: No foreign transaction fee card w/ average credit

For China, discover will work really well since it runs on the unionpay network.

For most of the countries you listed (not including Ukraine and RU), especially China, Cambodia, Thailand and Malaysia, a lot of those places do not accept credit cards at all, unless you are shopping / dining at higher end establishments. Even for places that do accept credit cards, some will either impose a 3% fee or will offer you some sort of a discount if you are paying cash.

I think you should be alright for the arrival, though they will most likely approve you for a CL below 5k which means you will get the platinum MC as opposed to world MC. Others can chime in, I suppose.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 11 of 40
Temporary_me

@rlx01 wrote:

Your score is good enough for all cards. The issue is income.

Best bet is Arrival, BoA Travel Rewards, and most CU cards.

Yes, currently, my annual personal income from my internship/scholarships (people are justified using these I believe), is only ~$30k. If I could report $100k from my accepted job offer I think I would have zero problems!

FICO: 763 (Discover Statement March 2015)
Barclay Arrival (no fee) - $6,300
Discover Open Road - $2,500
Message 12 of 40
Temporary_me

@enharu wrote:
For China, discover will work really well since it runs on the unionpay network.

For most of the countries you listed (not including Ukraine and RU), especially China, Cambodia, Thailand and Malaysia, a lot of those places do not accept credit cards at all, unless you are shopping / dining at higher end establishments. Even for places that do accept credit cards, some will either impose a 3% fee or will offer you some sort of a discount if you are paying cash.

I think you should be alright for the arrival, though they will most likely approve you for a CL below 5k which means you will get the platinum MC as opposed to world MC. Others can chime in, I suppose.

Hypothetically, if I were approved for the Barclay Arrival with Platinum MC would I be able to upgrade to WorldMC and a higher CL down the road with increased income? (In fall after I start a job).

Message 13 of 40
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Temporary_me wrote:

Hypothetically, if I were approved for the Barclay Arrival with Platinum MC would I be able to upgrade to WorldMC and a higher CL down the road with increased income? (In fall after I start a job).

With Barclays, no.  You would need to close the account and reapply.

you could request the credit line increases, however.  

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 14 of 40
Temporary_me

@DaveSignal wrote:

@Temporary_me wrote:

With Barclays, no.  You would need to close the account and reapply.

you could request the credit line increases, however.  

Eek, that's unfortunate.

Message 15 of 40
enharu
Super Contributor

For Barclays, once you are approved for the plat MC, you pretty much stay that way even if your CL increases past 5k. They do review accounts from time to time, but don't count on it until it actually happens (to avoid the disappointment / anger).

Your CL can always go up via auto CLIs, or you can always ask for one, though it will cost a HP, which really isn't a big deal in my opinion.

Everything is same about the card, except for world MC vs platinum MC benefits. Most wouldn't even care or use those benefits at all.

I personally think its a good deal for you since its 40k points after 1k spend, which is essentially $400 in savings on your travel. Do u know what your fico scores are? What is your utilization? I think you have a decent shot at a lot more cards than you think.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 40
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

You might get the WMC from the start though. They will try to qualify you for that first. But either card offers the same benefits from Barclays and fits what you are looking for. I agree that you should apply for it.
EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 17 of 40
dap1984va
New Contributor

1. You have picked some great cards, Barclays is picky with inquiries, before or after applying. They soft pull you, (i know) and you stand the chance of getting to a country and come to find out the card does not work because they closed the account, not sure I would suggest it or not

2. It should be more than the fee or cash back. I "assume" you will use the card for more than a pack of gum,  One or two of the choices are known for low starting credit limits. eeny meany meeny mino mo..... Capital One tops the list. Using a "small card" could negatively effect that c score if the usage is high. 

3. income plays a part in the equation,  that is a no brainer...so...............you can only expect/assume/ the limit will not be but so high.

Message 18 of 40
Temporary_me

@enharu wrote:
For Barclays, once you are approved for the plat MC, you pretty much stay that way even if your CL increases past 5k. They do review accounts from time to time, but don't count on it until it actually happens (to avoid the disappointment / anger).

Your CL can always go up via auto CLIs, or you can always ask for one, though it will cost a HP, which really isn't a big deal in my opinion.

Everything is same about the card, except for world MC vs platinum MC benefits. Most wouldn't even care or use those benefits at all.

I personally think its a good deal for you since its 40k points after 1k spend, which is essentially $400 in savings on your travel. Do u know what your fico scores are? What is your utilization? I think you have a decent shot at a lot more cards than you think.

I do not know my fico scores, though I was contemplating paying for those. It would be ironic to look at them, apply for the Barclay, and then have free access to them as a Barclay cardholder.

As far as utilization I typically use between 10-20%. I pay down balances before my statement date to keep it in that range.

Message 19 of 40
Temporary_me

@dap1984va wrote:

1. You have picked some great cards, Barclays is picky with inquiries, before or after applying. They soft pull you, (i know) and you stand the chance of getting to a country and come to find out the card does not work because they closed the account, not sure I would suggest it or not

2. It should be more than the fee or cash back. I "assume" you will use the card for more than a pack of gum,  One or two of the choices are known for low starting credit limits. eeny meany meeny mino mo..... Capital One tops the list. Using a "small card" could negatively effect that c score with the usage is high. 

3. income plays a part in the equation,  that is a no brainer...so...............you can only expect/assume/ the limit will not be but so high.

1. As far as inqiuries, I have not made any hard inquiries since applying for my Discover card 1.5 years ago, and I will not make any more inquiries after getting my next card until after my travels are completed and I start working.

2. As far as a low credit limit I'd be fine with something around $1.5k. I always have the ability to pay off balances before a statement posts to prevent exceeding my limit in extreme cases. Also while out of country I am having my parents monitor balances on whatever card I get to ensure I stay below 20% utilization.

3. What is a "low" limit defined as in general, or just in respect to your income? Looking at my internship and my scholarships for the past year/rest of my school year my annual personal income is just a bit over $30k. What might be a reasonable initial CL to expect?

Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.