Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No go with preapproval link means what?

tag
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

No go with preapproval link means what?

I have opted out of preapproval offers and am on the Do Not Call list. I've heard differing opinions on whether this effects the preapproval links, e.g. B of A, Cap One, etc. But I've tried them a few times and they never have preapproved offers for me. Is this a big neon sign "Do not apply - you'll just be rejected!" or does it mean I'm not in one of their mining "pools" and I just have to bite the bullet to find out?

(If you're wondering why I'm still applying for cards, its b/c I still have the *^%$# Providian to kill, annihilate, destroy, you get the drift.)
Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No go with preapproval link means what?

Hmmm, I don't know, but I opted back in about a month ago and BofA won't pre-app me for anything. I don't want to apply for anything anyway, it's just more out of curiosity that I keep checking every now and again... and I'd love to know exactly the same as you - whether it's because I flat out wouldn't be approved for anything, or if it's just that it takes a while for your information to filter through to them after you opt back in. I knew it would take a few weeks but... it's been quite a while now (not sure how long exactly, but I'm sure it's over a month). It's weird, like I say, I don't want to app for anything with them, pre-approved or not, but it'd be nice to know they don't consider me 'untouchable' in some way!
Message 2 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

With BofA it absolutely means you won't get any offers, and I assume it's the same with the others. I didn't get diddly on any of them when I was opted out. It took a good 3-4 weeks after opting back in before anything worked.

My guess is that when you go to one of these sites, they do a soft with a -PR (promo) prefix. If you're opted out, these are blocked.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Math_Rocks wrote:
I have opted out of preapproval offers and am on the Do Not Call list. I've heard differing opinions on whether this effects the preapproval links, e.g. B of A, Cap One, etc. But I've tried them a few times and they never have preapproved offers for me. Is this a big neon sign "Do not apply - you'll just be rejected!" or does it mean I'm not in one of their mining "pools" and I just have to bite the bullet to find out?

(If you're wondering why I'm still applying for cards, its b/c I still have the *^%$# Providian to kill, annihilate, destroy, you get the drift.)

How do you opt back in? I opted out a few months ago.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wesley23 wrote:

How do you opt back in? I opted out a few months ago.

You opt in at the same site you use to opt out:

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to

opt in

click on the button at the bottom to Opt in or Opt out. Follow instructions!
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

you beat me to it!
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

the BoA preapproval link has been annoying for me too. I've never gotten pre-approved for anything; on the other hand, I've done it a bunch of times and I've never seen the pre-approval soft inquries on either my EQ or EX reports. they may have been pulling TU but when I applied for my card with them they pulled EX.

funny enough, I have a BankAmericard (which they auto-CLI'd when I first had the account) which I previously never used, but now I'm using since I've heard of the great generosity of BoA.

I wouldn't expect to be denied if I applied for another BoA card, so the lack of pre-approvals (except for them offering me Keep the Change and the Secured card) confuses me just a little bit. It's something I try not to think about too much.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

miahmarie wrote:
you beat me to it!

Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
With BofA it absolutely means you won't get any offers, and I assume it's the same with the others. I didn't get diddly on any of them when I was opted out. It took a good 3-4 weeks after opting back in before anything worked.

My guess is that when you go to one of these sites, they do a soft with a -PR (promo) prefix. If you're opted out, these are blocked.

Okay, I opted us back in and we'll see what it shows next month. Smiley Happy
Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.