Frequent Contributor
Math_Rocks

No go with preapproval link means what?

I have opted out of preapproval offers and am on the Do Not Call list. I've heard differing opinions on whether this effects the preapproval links, e.g. B of A, Cap One, etc. But I've tried them a few times and they never have preapproved offers for me. Is this a big neon sign "Do not apply - you'll just be rejected!" or does it mean I'm not in one of their mining "pools" and I just have to bite the bullet to find out?

(If you're wondering why I'm still applying for cards, its b/c I still have the *^%$# Providian to kill, annihilate, destroy, you get the drift.)
Filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy 04/12 after two and a half years in a DMP. So wish we would have done the BK sooner. Live and learn!
Established Contributor
fevmlo

Re: No go with preapproval link means what?

Hmmm, I don't know, but I opted back in about a month ago and BofA won't pre-app me for anything. I don't want to apply for anything anyway, it's just more out of curiosity that I keep checking every now and again... and I'd love to know exactly the same as you - whether it's because I flat out wouldn't be approved for anything, or if it's just that it takes a while for your information to filter through to them after you opt back in. I knew it would take a few weeks but... it's been quite a while now (not sure how long exactly, but I'm sure it's over a month). It's weird, like I say, I don't want to app for anything with them, pre-approved or not, but it'd be nice to know they don't consider me 'untouchable' in some way!
EQ: 723 / TU: 760 (August 2009)
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

With BofA it absolutely means you won't get any offers, and I assume it's the same with the others. I didn't get diddly on any of them when I was opted out. It took a good 3-4 weeks after opting back in before anything worked.

My guess is that when you go to one of these sites, they do a soft with a -PR (promo) prefix. If you're opted out, these are blocked.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Regular Contributor
Wesley23

Math_Rocks wrote:
I have opted out of preapproval offers and am on the Do Not Call list. I've heard differing opinions on whether this effects the preapproval links, e.g. B of A, Cap One, etc. But I've tried them a few times and they never have preapproved offers for me. Is this a big neon sign "Do not apply - you'll just be rejected!" or does it mean I'm not in one of their mining "pools" and I just have to bite the bullet to find out?

(If you're wondering why I'm still applying for cards, its b/c I still have the *^%$# Providian to kill, annihilate, destroy, you get the drift.)

How do you opt back in? I opted out a few months ago.
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar

Wesley23 wrote:

How do you opt back in? I opted out a few months ago.

You opt in at the same site you use to opt out:

----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Established Contributor
miahmarie

Go to

opt in

click on the button at the bottom to Opt in or Opt out. Follow instructions!
Established Contributor
miahmarie

you beat me to it!
Regular Contributor
d09

the BoA preapproval link has been annoying for me too. I've never gotten pre-approved for anything; on the other hand, I've done it a bunch of times and I've never seen the pre-approval soft inquries on either my EQ or EX reports. they may have been pulling TU but when I applied for my card with them they pulled EX.

funny enough, I have a BankAmericard (which they auto-CLI'd when I first had the account) which I previously never used, but now I'm using since I've heard of the great generosity of BoA.

I wouldn't expect to be denied if I applied for another BoA card, so the lack of pre-approvals (except for them offering me Keep the Change and the Secured card) confuses me just a little bit. It's something I try not to think about too much.
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar

miahmarie wrote:
you beat me to it!

:smileywink:

----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Frequent Contributor
Math_Rocks

haulingthescoreup wrote:
With BofA it absolutely means you won't get any offers, and I assume it's the same with the others. I didn't get diddly on any of them when I was opted out. It took a good 3-4 weeks after opting back in before anything worked.

My guess is that when you go to one of these sites, they do a soft with a -PR (promo) prefix. If you're opted out, these are blocked.

Okay, I opted us back in and we'll see what it shows next month. :smileyhappy:
Filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy 04/12 after two and a half years in a DMP. So wish we would have done the BK sooner. Live and learn!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}