Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No longer part of the Amex family :(

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

No longer part of the Amex family :(

I saw it coming and I'm not surprised. Amex shut down my Green over the weekend.

I tried to settle a Sheraton bill and was declined (thankfully I ALWAYS carry cash to match any CC purchase). I called and the CSR hinted that it was a FR, though within a couple hours of the call their website said the CC was closed. Why? They didn't say yet, but a couple of months ago a 30-day late appeared on my CR. It's legit. But a new 30-day on a pristine report dropped my 2 FICOs 60-75 points. Aside from the late, my spending on the CC peaked around $10k-$12k/mo, with a stated income from the last FR at less than $120k. I had been using it for biz purchases which is a no-no with Amex. I bought a business this past year and cut my income to support that, so a FR would have been bad news anyway with 30% less showing on the 1040 for 2011.

I'll get everything back in order and maybe a couple of years down the road they'll let me back in the fray. BTW, I lost 65k in points. Smiley Sad.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: No longer part of the Amex family :(

@llecs wrote:

I saw it coming and I'm not surprised. Amex shut down my Green over the weekend.

I tried to settle a Sheraton bill and was declined (thankfully I ALWAYS carry cash to match any CC purchase). I called and the CSR hinted that it was a FR, though within a couple hours of the call their website said the CC was closed. Why? They didn't say yet, but a couple of months ago a 30-day late appeared on my CR. It's legit. But a new 30-day on a pristine report dropped my 2 FICOs 60-75 points. Aside from the late, my spending on the CC peaked around $10k-$12k/mo, with a stated income from the last FR at less than $120k. I had been using it for biz purchases which is a no-no with Amex. I bought a business this past year and cut my income to support that, so a FR would have been bad news anyway with 30% less showing on the 1040 for 2011.

I'll get everything back in order and maybe a couple of years down the road they'll let me back in the fray. BTW, I lost 65k in points. Smiley Sad.

Aww I'm so sorry Smiley Sad  Have you asked for a GW on the 30 day late?

This is the reason why I think I need a business Amex and Plan to app for one next yr.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 25
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

No GW yet. I'll let it age a bit while PIFing each month before asking for a GW. I'm not really upset. It's one less card to worry about and I know they'll backdate later (I hope).

Message 3 of 25
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Ouch !!  So they closed your account because you were 30 days on another ( non~AMEX ) account ??  And you lost your MR points too ??

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 25
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

WOW - that was cold blooded of them!

I am very sorry this happened. 

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 5 of 25
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@llecs wrote:

No GW yet. I'll let it age a bit while PIFing each month before asking for a GW. I'm not really upset. It's one less card to worry about and I know they'll backdate later (I hope).

Ya, don't lose the actual card in case you ever have to try to get backdated.

I worry about this with my Amex, I've put about 5k worth of business expenses through the card that I get reimbursed for.   My husband and I make about 180k per yr combined income, but the card is just under my name, with my reported income of 121k Gross. He is an ACM though and his spending less than mine.

I've also got 2 mortgages, 1 student loan and 1 car note on my report, combined committments for payments totalling 3672.

Our combined YTD spending is 20,458 through the Zync. The card was activated 2/11/12.  I get kind of worried because I know that the monthly spend is higher than what my discretionary spending "should" be based on my individual income and committments.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 25
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

I don't think you lost your points.  I think they give you 30 days to use them or something. Call and find out. 

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 7 of 25
sjt
Senior Contributor

@llecs wrote:

HI,

I would definitely contact Amex and ask for reconsideration. Explain the 30-day late and if necessary, explain the charges.

If you are F/R'd, the reduction in income is not that much and you can explain that situation as well.

Chances are you will be reinstated. The same thing happened to my friend and they were reinstated.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 25
FrugalRican
Blogger

Come to the dark side... the Chase side. Muahahahaha!

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 9 of 25
CS800
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear Smiley Sad

GIve it some time and like you said you can try again. Your total available credit didnt go down so thats good. Your AAoA will not be affected either since it will report .

But i understand the disappointment

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.