Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

Hi guys,

I just tried to have my new Zync card backdated to the date I opened my first AMEX card (08/1999), and was told that they don't backdate for new cards, only if it's a continuation of the old card...?  The person I spoke with was definitely not in the US, not that it should make a difference.  I've read many stories on this board about AMEX customers who have had past accounts, closed them, and then opened up new accounts and AMEX reported their original open date to the CRAs. 

I opened an AMEX Gold in 1999, then closed it in 2001. I just got my Zync last week, and emailed them to ask if I could get a backdate. I was told they couldn't find my old account in their database, and the email team doesn't handle those matters anyway. I was advised to call 800-874-2717 and speak with a Credit Analyst, so I did, and she is the one who told me that they don't backdate. After she finally found my old account, she said it would be taken off my credit report, and I replied that it had already fallen off my reports, and I was only concerned about getting the new account backdated. At that point, she shut me down.  Very, very disappointed.

*UPDATE* I called the number on the back of my card and spoke with a nice gentleman in the U.S. He was unable to locate my previous Gold card in the system, so I offered to fax over a copy of my credit report with it still reporting. He said he wouldn't make me go through all that trouble, and he believes that the account did exist and is "out there somewhere." He submitted a request to change my "Member since" date. I asked him if it would say 1999 instead of 2012 when I log in to my account online, and he said yes, and that they'd send me a new card. However, it can take 9-12 days. Of course, what I'm really concerned about it how it's reported to the CRAs. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Re: No more AMEX backdating?

This isn't something you usually have to request unless you want that date to show on your card.  The backdating-- at least as far as your credit report is concerned-- happens automatically in most cases.

When you log in to your account online, what "member since" date is shown toward the top of the screen?

Message 2 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, it says "Thank you for being a Cardmember since 2012." I've read on the forums that this is the date that gets reported to the CRAs, so that's why I initiated the process. I was very surprised, as I've read some people have had new accounts backdated to the 80s...and mine just fell off my reports this past January. I'm not sure what to do, but I feel like the backdating and subsequent boost to my AAoA would be worth fighting for.

Message 3 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I have read, you need to call up and request that your member since date be corrected.  If they do not have any record of your old account in their files then you will need to provide that number or some other evidence that you had the account to get them to change your member since date.

Message 4 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aha, maybe I confused the young woman by using the term "backdate." I also faxed a copy of my credit report that I pulled in December before the account had fallen off, but have seen no change in the year when I log in to my account online. I was thinking of taking an old school approach and writing a letter and sending it with a copy of the credit report since I did not have a good experience with calling them. I expected more from AMEX customer service.

Message 5 of 69
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Aha, maybe I confused the young woman by using the term "backdate." I also faxed a copy of my credit report that I pulled in December before the account had fallen off, but have seen no change in the year when I log in to my account online. I was thinking of taking an old school approach and writing a letter and sending it with a copy of the credit report since I did not have a good experience with calling them. I expected more from AMEX customer service.

I would call one more time and say that there was an error with your "member since" date, as it should be XXXX.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 69
Crashem
Valued Contributor

You are taking wrong approach. Do not talk to credit bureau unit first which is what you did when you talked to credit analyst. Do not talk to email unit. Just call number at back of card and talk to cs. Ask them to change your member date back to old card and send you new copy with original member date. Have them look it up. Offer to fax them your credit report with old card reporting. If they can't find or say they cant do it, don't argue it too much and just thank them and hang up. Then call back and try again. My guess it will take 4 calls at worst and most likely done in 1-2 calls.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I'll try that. Hopefully I get better service calling the number on the back of the card. After I got off the phone with the last person I spoke to, I started to wonder if I was crazy in thinking that backdating was even a possibility.

Message 8 of 69
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

1 (800) 492-3344

Use this number for CS if you want us based. Just put your account number in when you call. Again tell them you want the date corrected on your card
Message 9 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

THANK YOU, Nada. I will. I appreciate the help!

Message 10 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.