Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

tag
BullsEye10
New Contributor

Re: No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

Thought I would throw in my two cents on this topic and ask a question.

In 1989, as a teenager, my father added me as an AU and got me an AMEX Gold card for emergencies.  it said "Member Since 89".  Our family's business subsequently ran into difficulties and we closed the card in 1994/1995.

The business recovered, and my father re-established a relationsip with AMEX in 2006 by opening an "American Express Business" account.  Despite not working for the company (full time at least) I was added to the account as an AU and got a card that said "Member Since 89".

This month I finally pulled the trigger after months of deliberating and applied for my very own AMEX, the platinum charge card.  Much to my surprise and delight I was approved, and because it is a platinum card it was overnighed to me.  Lo and behold, it said "Member since 2012". 

Well, as a happy reader of this board (and others) I knew the effect this would have on my credit, and a few days ago called AMEX and told them I wanted the Member Since date on the platinum card changed to reflect my history since 1989, as the business card does.  They told me they would, and sure enough, the very next day I received my new platinum card that says "Member Since 89".

However, when I log on to the AMEX site, it says under my name "WELCOME TO AMERICAN EXPRESS. WE'RE HAPPY TO HAVE YOU AS A CARDMEMBER."  No mention of my member since year.

Should I be concerned?

AMEX Platinum - NPSL (Approved for $75,000.00)
AMEX Gold Business - NPSL
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22,500.00)
Bank of America Cash Rewards ($5,000.00) - Sock Drawer
Discover ($4,500.00) - Sock Drawer
Capital One Venture ($7,500) - Sock Drawer
Message 51 of 69
Crashem
Valued Contributor

That's to do with their new look. Go to account page and see. Somewhere their they still have member date. The real test however is to see what credit report says. I wouldn't worry. My Amex had similar situation with card saying 2012 and it reported mine back to my first Amex in 1989 after long hiatus.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 52 of 69
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Just called in today (6.28.12) using the phone # given by someone on the 1st page of this thread, took all of 5 minutes (iPhone call history verifies this), customer service was very friendly, saw my old account and had no problems backdating to the primary cardholder's member date! I was added in '01 as an AU, but the primary cardholder opened the card in '93. As a matter of fact, customer service told me it would be changed to '93 BEFORE I even had a chance to say I was added in 2001. The old card is currently closed, but still shows as open and current on my credit report. I never used the term "back date" and instead just said I was looking through some old cards I had and noticed that my 'Member Since' date on my current Zync card is incorrect. So from 2010 to what I thought would be 2001 to 1993?!? We'll know in 7-10 days when I get my new card, or if/when my online account page updates. Smiley Very Happy

ImageImageImage

Message 53 of 69
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Wow nice. Sounds like you got lazy rep and hit the jackpot. I would confirm in next couple of months what credit report says however. I have heard of people in this situation getting the member date but the actual reporting date being in your case just the 2001
Message 54 of 69
slarano
Frequent Contributor

I also remember having an AMEX Green card, perhaps she was referring to that card, which I probably had as an AU way back in '93...
ImageImageImage

Message 55 of 69
bribro
Valued Contributor

@simonlarano wrote:
I also remember having an AMEX Green card, perhaps she was referring to that card, which I probably had as an AU way back in '93...

Well, that gives me less hope haha. Congrats btw.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 56 of 69
heirophant
Established Contributor

If this question was answered in this thread, sorry.  What about people who currently have a card, like myself?  I was considering BCE.  Will it automatically show my member since date since I am an active member or will I have to call to have it backdated when it arrives?

Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 57 of 69
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@heirophant wrote:

If this question was answered in this thread, sorry.  What about people who currently have a card, like myself?  I was considering BCE.  Will it automatically show my member since date since I am an active member or will I have to call to have it backdated when it arrives?

It should automatically backdate.

Message 58 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just looking for an update. How long did it take AMEX to report the new date to the CBs?

I became an AU on a card on 7/1 and called and got it backdated to 2006. They sent me a new card with a "Member Since 2006" thing and now I'm waiting patiently for it to report and affect my AAoA!

Message 59 of 69
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just looking for an update. How long did it take AMEX to report the new date to the CBs?

I became an AU on a card on 7/1 and called and got it backdated to 2006. They sent me a new card with a "Member Since 2006" thing and now I'm waiting patiently for it to report and affect my AAoA!

I am a little mixed up.  Did you have an AMEX in 2006?  Or did you get them to backdate you to 2006 based on original card holders member date?  Or something else.  I am hearing more and more that they will change your member date on card but not what is actually reported for AU cards.

Message 60 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.