Reply
Senior Contributor
drkaje
Posts: 3,488
Registered: ‎07-25-2008
0

Re: No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

@Holly,

The future holds what Ella and Bing sang about, "Blue skies". :smileyhappy:

Know what's even better? ..... Wait for it..... It will not show up as a new account!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 754 FICO, EQ 737FICO
Goal Score: 776 FICO


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Member
HollyDay
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎06-15-2012
0

Re: No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

Oh, Ella and Bing...I can hear them now...:smileyhappy:

I'm very grateful to AMEX. They've gained a very loyal customer!

Valued Contributor
android01
Posts: 1,207
Registered: ‎09-22-2009
0

Re: No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

It hasn't been discussed in this thread, but it should be noted that if you look closely at the account history on your credit reports for AMEX accounts, you'll see that on TU and EX, the little green "OK" boxes only go back as far as when the account was opened.  EQ (through their website) shows years and years ( to the backdated date) of "OK" boxes.  Any lender doing a manual review will see the limited AMEX history on EX and TU even though the opening date may be decades ago.  EQ, on the other hand, would show a full acount history since the membership date.  

 

So, AMEX backdating is really only beneficial with computer generated application approvals.   I don't think many underwriters will look that deep on manual review, but if they do, and they understand all this, it might make a difference in their decision.  

EQ FICO - EQ08 - 850 - 6/17/14
TU FICO - TU08 - 850 - 6/17/14
EX FICO - EX08 - 850 - 6/17/14
Senior Contributor
drkaje
Posts: 3,488
Registered: ‎07-25-2008
0

Re: No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

@ Android,

 

I fully agree that manual review reveals all. The likely look at everything but how aspects are factored in likely comes down to underwriting standards. If a card is dated to 1958 but has no history, it'll stand out upon manual review. I feel the same way about 12 new accounts in one year and no inquiries, LOL!

 

Supposedly; FICO 08 doesn't include AUs. On the Mortgage forum, I recently read a thread where someone (with no history of their own) was asked to remove themselves as AU on 3 cards. No idea how it worked out, saw something shiny and forgot to check back, LOL!


Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 754 FICO, EQ 737FICO
Goal Score: 776 FICO


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
OhioCPA
Posts: 459
Registered: ‎03-29-2011
0

Re: No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

[ Edited ]

android01 wrote:

It hasn't been discussed in this thread, but it should be noted that if you look closely at the account history on your credit reports for AMEX accounts, you'll see that on TU and EX, the little green "OK" boxes only go back as far as when the account was opened.  EQ (through their website) shows years and years ( to the backdated date) of "OK" boxes.  Any lender doing a manual review will see the limited AMEX history on EX and TU even though the opening date may be decades ago.  EQ, on the other hand, would show a full acount history since the membership date.  

 

So, AMEX backdating is really only beneficial with computer generated application approvals.   I don't think many underwriters will look that deep on manual review, but if they do, and they understand all this, it might make a difference in their decision.  


I have noticed this with not only my backdated Amex accounts but my BOA Visa. When I converted it to a reward card, and then again when the card was reported stolen the card was dated with the original open date but without the complete history. Thus, I am not sure that upon a manual review someone would necessarily come to the conclusion that an account was backdated. The next question is: would they really care? This affect is only temporary, once the account is past two years it will look just like any other two year or older account.

________________________________________________________________________________
Valued Contributor
android01
Posts: 1,207
Registered: ‎09-22-2009
0

Re: No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

[ Edited ]

OhioCPA wrote:

android01 wrote:

It hasn't been discussed in this thread, but it should be noted that if you look closely at the account history on your credit reports for AMEX accounts, you'll see that on TU and EX, the little green "OK" boxes only go back as far as when the account was opened.  EQ (through their website) shows years and years ( to the backdated date) of "OK" boxes.  Any lender doing a manual review will see the limited AMEX history on EX and TU even though the opening date may be decades ago.  EQ, on the other hand, would show a full acount history since the membership date.  

 

So, AMEX backdating is really only beneficial with computer generated application approvals.   I don't think many underwriters will look that deep on manual review, but if they do, and they understand all this, it might make a difference in their decision.  


I have noticed this with not only my backdated Amex accounts but my BOA Visa. When I converted it to a reward card, and then again when the card was reported stolen the card was dated with the original open date but without the complete history. Thus, I am not sure that upon a manual review someone would necessarily come to the conclusion that an account was backdated. The next question is: would they really care? This affect is only temporary, once the account is past two years it will look just like any other two year or older account.


I understand what you're saying, and I'd be pretty upset if one of my Amex accounts that are legitimately 26 years old and they gave me a new number with new history, even with the same opening date. I'd be really upset having to trade 26 years of history for 2 years.    

EQ FICO - EQ08 - 850 - 6/17/14
TU FICO - TU08 - 850 - 6/17/14
EX FICO - EX08 - 850 - 6/17/14
Member
HollyDay
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎06-15-2012
0

Re: No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

Yes, I understand that I won't be gaining any payment history where none exists, and that backdating is mainly beneficial for the boost to AAoA only. I don't believe backdating is unethical or misleading to my future creditors because they won't be fooled as there is clearly no payment history reporting during the gap between cards.
Moderator
Revelate
Posts: 8,892
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

[ Edited ]

HollyDay wrote:
Yes, I understand that I won't be gaining any payment history where none exists, and that backdating is mainly beneficial for the boost to AAoA only. I don't believe backdating is unethical or misleading to my future creditors because they won't be fooled as there is clearly no payment history reporting during the gap between cards.

Ugh, my apologies, we severely side-tracked your thread.  Our random debate about backdating and the industry wasn't a negative aimed at you in any, way, shape or form.  Personally, I fully intend to leverage what limited amount of backdating I can in the future with Amex, and there's nothing unethical about your or my coloring inside the lines which Amex has setup.  

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 679, EQ 8 708, TU 711, EX 702* (07/14/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus
tinuviel
Posts: 4,877
Registered: ‎11-02-2010
0

Re: No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE


HollyDay wrote:

Another update: I just signed in to my account online, and it now reads "Thank you for being a Cardmember since 1999." I won't celebrate until the card starts reporting and 1999 is listed in my credit report, though.

Sidenote: I've enjoyed reading the discussion that has ensued about AMEX's backdating policy. It will be interesting to see what the future holds!


 

Congrats! If the website has the corrected date, you should be in good shape. Keeping fingers crossed for you on the credit reports; please let us know.


Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Frequent Contributor
xiownthisplacex
Posts: 259
Registered: ‎08-29-2011
0

Re: No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

Same thing happened to me. I have been an authorized user since 1998 (still am) and they put me as a new member since 2012 :smileymad:

So I called the number on the back of the card today and they switched it right away, only took me 7 minutes on the phone with providing all my info (they didn't ask for the old card number). 9-12 business days and I will have my new card with the Member Since 98 on it :smileyhappy:


Starting Score Myfico EQ: 676 08/11/2011
Current Score: Amazon EQ Pull: 781 Walmart TU08: 782 AMEX EX Pull: 745 08/03/2014 Goal Score: 780+
Hover over image to see limits

NPSL$1,000$18,000$9,500$5,000$5,000$5,500$6,500$5,300$9,000$5,500$4,200$1,900$4,000$1,600

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+