cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Cap One!

Senior Contributor

No more Cap One!

I've been reading posts where people have been able to PC a Cap One platinum "step" card to a "regular" (prime) Cap One. They have previously told me that my card wasn't eligible for that, but I could apply for a different CC w/3 HP, which I would not do.

 

Since others have been able to PC their rebuilders, I decided to call them. I called the Escallations Dept. (800) 707-0489.

 

After 1 1/2 yrs and major improvement in my credit report and FICO, they said that my acct wasn't eligible for a PC or CLI. They offered to lower my interest rate on the piddly $500 card with a 0 balance. Ridiculous.

 

I told her that Cap One refused to recognize the improvement in my credit since I got the card by either converting to a better CC w/rewards and/or giving me a CLI. So, I closed my acct.

 

I am grateful that they helped me to rebuild, but the time has come for me to move on. Seeing that $500 card on my CR was like a thorn in my side.

The thorn is gone! Yay! Smiley Tongue

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES
Contributor

Re: No more Cap One!

Smiley Happy

 

Walmart TU-724 on 12-2012
EX-707 on 08-2012
EQ-668on 08-2012
_________________________________
Wallet - Discover 1500 | Chase Freedom 1500 | OldNavy Visa 2750 | Walmart 2000 | Amex BCE 6000 | BoA Visa Sig 5000 | Chase Marriott 5000 | Amex Hhonor 2000 | CSP 5000
__________________________________________
Message 2 of 18
Valued Contributor

Re: No more Cap One!


bichonmom wrote:

I've been reading posts where people have been able to PC a Cap One platinum "step" card to a "regular" (prime) Cap One. They have previously told me that my card wasn't eligible for that, but I could apply for a different CC w/3 HP, which I would not do.

 

Since others have been able to PC their rebuilders, I decided to call them. I called the Escallations Dept. (800) 707-0489.

 

After 1 1/2 yrs and major improvement in my credit report and FICO, they said that my acct wasn't eligible for a PC or CLI. They offered to lower my interest rate on the piddly $500 card with a 0 balance. Ridiculous.

 

I told her that Cap One refused to recognize the improvement in my credit since I got the card by either converting to a better CC w/rewards and/or giving me a CLI. So, I closed my acct.

 

I am grateful that they helped me to rebuild, but the time has come for me to move on. Seeing that $500 card on my CR was like a thorn in my side.

The thorn is gone! Yay! Smiley Tongue

 


I do not blame you one bit for doing this. Their loss...

 

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 3 of 18
Senior Contributor

Re: No more Cap One!

Thanks! Smiley Happy

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 18
Frequent Contributor

Re: No more Cap One!

Good for you im going to have my wife close her Cap! card soon with $750 NO AF that just sits in SD.

it sucks @$$ when CAP1 won't give her ANY CLI while she apped for CITI and Amex starting CL $9000 and $10000.

 

I don't know how the hell i got my Cap1 card that started from $200 to $6500 !!!

Lots of cards and counting !!
Las Vegas REALTOR
FICO 800ish Shooting for 800+
BCE 20K,ED 10K,Sky 2K, DCVR $6800, Slate 8K, Freedom 5k, Care Credit 10K, Lowes 10K, Cap1 QS $11500, Venture 15K, Paypal 5k Hidden, US Bank Edge Cash Business 20K and NFL $1500 soon to DIE.
Message 5 of 18
Regular Contributor

Re: No more Cap One!

Yea i feel your pain they did the same too me too.. Had the card for 5 years they only bumped it to 1500 and then i called to close it and they told me the only thing they could do was reduce the rate on a zero balance for 6 months at a reduction of 3% and i had a AF on this card for 39.00.. Well today i went to check the mail guess what i see a Crap one offer.. at a rate of 22.9% and No Annual Fee on a Platinum card no way am i going to bite on that worm haha not sure why they could not had giving me this on my exsiting card i had in order to keep a customer!

Message 6 of 18
Frequent Contributor

Re: No more Cap One!

This is EXACTLY where I am with them.  I have a dispute outstanding so once that's over, that account is getting closed.  Been with them since 1998 and every time I CLI, I'm not eligble and I'm not able to PC to a new card.  Yet, they charge me $59 every year.

 

I went ahead and did an app since 'that's the only way I could get a different card" for their Cash Rewards cards.  I applied 9/1 and as of right now it's pending and in some sort of manual underwriting that should take "up to 15 business days."  I'm not sure what kind of systems they have, but's already ridiculous in my book.

 

I'm a few weeks away from putting CapOne out to pasture.  If I get denied for the Cash Rewards Signature Visa, I'm done with this company FOREVER. 

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 7 of 18
Established Member

Re: No more Cap One!

I was one of the lucky ones...

 

Started with a $500 "Platinum" card in 2008. Recieved an automatic CLI in 2009 to $4750. Requested a PC in 2012 to a Venture1...

 

I'm not going to use it often, but I didn't want the annual fee on the "Platinum".

 

Congrats on removing that thorn though! I was going to close my account if they didn't grant me the product change.

FICO: 754, (Walmart TU, 9/4/13)
Wallet: AMEX Gold, and cash.
Chase Freedom (5000), Capital One Venture1 (4750), CU Visa (5000), Discover More (5500), Walmart Discover (7500), Barclays Visa (2000)

Message 8 of 18
Senior Contributor

Re: No more Cap One!


DeadSpider wrote:

Good for you im going to have my wife close her Cap! card soon with $750 NO AF that just sits in SD.

it sucks @$$ when CAP1 won't give her ANY CLI while she apped for CITI and Amex starting CL $9000 and $10000.

 

I don't know how the hell i got my Cap1 card that started from $200 to $6500 !!!


You're one of the exceptions to the Cap One rule! Lucky you! Smiley Happy

 

The same thing happened w/ me as w/ your wife: I just got approved for $10k with Citi (and didn't even need to call or recon!). What am I doing keeping this $500 card around? It was like clutter on my credit report.

 

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 18
Senior Contributor

Re: No more Cap One!


bobomb01 wrote:

I was one of the lucky ones...

 

Started with a $500 "Platinum" card in 2008. Recieved an automatic CLI in 2009 to $4750. Request a PC in 2012 to a Venture1...

 

I'm not going to use it often, but I didn't want the annual fee on the "Platinum".

 

Congrats on removing that thorn though! I was going to close my account if they didn't grant me the product change.


I wonder why some people are able to do this and others aren't. I know it's not my FICO or CR. It would have been nice if they had been willing to do this with me. I would like to have had a Venture/Cash Rewards card with them. Oh well, I'm set in the credit card dept.! Smiley Happy

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 10 of 18