Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more annual fee for AMEX PRG??

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: No more annual fee for AMEX PRG??

Yeah I know I can buy gift cards. I already used my credit on that. Technically it falls out of their terms though and airline gift cards are still way less useful to me than cash. I probably won't get an opportunity to use them for another couple years.
Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:
Yeah I know I can buy gift cards. I already used my credit on that. Technically it falls out of their terms though and airline gift cards are still way less useful to me than cash. I probably won't get an opportunity to use them for another couple years.

I agree gift cards are less useful than cash and you only get 200 dollars of them the first year.  I don't think it is worth it for me to keep the card the second year unless they give me some sort of redemption bonus.

Message 22 of 24
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:
I've figured out once I've collected the miles I need for flights, I'm better off putting non-category spend on a 2% cash back card and pool those rewards plus restaurant/gas spend on the TYP to put towards hotels and other expenses.

Yep, that's my new philosophy, too.  Only collect as many points as you need for the next year or two, and get 2% cash back with the rest of your spending.  Points+cash is a good combination.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 23 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

When I had the card I used the 100 credit for pesky fuel surcharges . On to the topic of value of mr points if you fly internationally and want to fly in business or first you can get really good value for them. I am actually eyeing nyc-bkk for 100k mr round trip via Ana in business class .  Before switching to an mr card I Lulu make sure you know what you want to do with those mr points .

This is great advice. Yea you may see a huge signup offer on a credit card that everyone is jumping on, but if those points don't transfer to a travel partner you want to use they are mostly worthless. I'm trying to save up MR points for a SQ or SQ partner redemption for one wy in Suites or maybe F with ANA for SE asia-NYC. Currently have around 80k saved up May need to dip into my chase URs to top off account. for the other direction I have saved up quite a few AA miles so I will look at getting a CX flight.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.