Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more luv for US Bank!!

tag
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Re: No more luv for US Bank!!

Ok, some updates for everyone.  First off, for those of you asking, my EQ FICO is 751.  However, my TU is only about 615 since there is a large (almost $6000) CapOne CO on there that is factored into my UTL, putting it OVER 100% even though my actual revolving UTL is only about 20%.  For some reason, this CO is not factored into UTL on EQ or EX.  Also, I have one collection (paid) reporting on TU and EX that is reporting as a credit account on EQ making it look as if I have 0 collections on EQ.  I would ESTIMATE that my EX FICO is around 650-700 based on what I saw when we could still pull that score.

The killer for me here is that they pulled EQ only when they made the decision to unsecure my card, which would have been a good thing...except...shortly (a day or two)after they unsecured me, they also pulled TU.  The main difference between TU and EQ is the score due to the way the way the CO is handled on TU.  The low TU score is what made them CLD me.

As I said earlier, the main reason I was mad about this (other than just the principle of the thing and feeling insulted) is that I need a card with a large limit for work related travel expenses.  Not because I am strapped for cash, but because I need availale credit for travel so that I can put a week's worth of travel on one card, turn in my expense report and CC statement, and get reimbursed.  It gets exponentially more difficult if I have everything spread between a couple of smaller cards.  Since, in the past, a typical trip has costed an average of $800 - $1200, you can see why the difference between the original $1100 limit and the new $900 limit, although only $200, is actually significant because this is going to mean that I will have to put a lot of my trips on more than one card.

Anyway, it may turn out that all if this will not matter anymore--I was approved for a Cabelas Visa.  I am still waiting for the card and was not told my limit yet, but, the account did hit my EX report yesterday and is showing a $3500 CL! 

Now, I can tell US Bank to shove it!! And, by "shove it", I mean pay it off and carefully place the card in a sock drawer and use only enough to keep it active until they CLI me someday since this card COULD someday be my best card--I know, not exactly "shoving it", but it feels good to say right now Smiley Happy

ETA:  The funny thing is that I realized that US Bank is still using the "derogatory interest rate" that was used on my secured card after I went over the limit once (the AF was not charged when I expected it to be and it put me a couple dollars over the limit when it unexpectedly hit).  So, they told me that they treated the process of unsecuring the card as if it was opening a brand new account and that is why my old limit and old history did not factor in to their determination of my new CL--however, apparently my old history does factor in when they can use it as an excuse to charge a higher interest rate.

ETA^2:  In the defense of US Bank, I put gas in my gas guzzler truck BEFORE I knew about the CLD.  The transaction did not post until AFTER the CLD and BEFORE the recent $800 payment I made (actually it posted the same day as I made my payment, but they payment didn't immediately post).  This resulted in an over limit fee.  I called and explained that his transaction occured before my CLD and they did actually remove the OL fee without any resistance.

Message Edited by valley_man0505 on 04-27-2009 09:41 AM
Message Edited by valley_man0505 on 04-27-2009 10:02 AM
Message 11 of 23
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

Hello VM,

Sorry to hear of the troubles you have experienced with US Bank. I've actually always loved US Bank (& Discover) because they only pull TU (always my best score). The majority of banks & credit unions pull EX or EQ for NJ.Smiley Mad

Have you tried calling an analyst to explain the TU problem (factoring in the old charged off tradeline)? They like scores over 700, but not sure how they are reading the charge off. Anywho at this point it could not hurt to try. 1-800-947-1444 will get you to US Bank underwriting dept.

If they decide to keep you at the same CL do not despair...call in every 6 months for a CLI. For my accounts (x2) I receive a $1,500 CLI every 6 months. (Last few years it was qtrly, but the policy has since changed).

Also, check your statement in about 3-6months, they slowly lower the APR.

Good luck!

Message Edited by ocheosa on 04-27-2009 10:16 AM
[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 12 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

be careful with cabelas, they can be touchy especially lately.

Usbank will come around, call them in 6 months and ask for the cli without credit pull, usually $1500 

Message 13 of 23
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

@ocheosa wrote:

Hello VM,

Sorry to hear of the troubles you have experienced with US Bank. I've actually always loved US Bank (& Discover) because they only pull TU (always my best score). The majority of banks & credit unions pull EX or EQ for NJ.Smiley Mad

Have you tried calling an analyst to explain the TU problem (factoring in the old charged off tradeline)? They like scores over 700, but not sure how they are reading the charge off. Anywho at this point it could not hurt to try. 1-800-947-1444 will get you to US Bank underwriting dept.

If they decide to keep you at the same CL do not despair...call in every 6 months for a CLI. For my accounts (x2) I receive a $1,500 CLI every 6 months. (Last few years it was qtrly, but the policy has since changed).

Also, check your statement in about 3-6months, they slowly lower the APR.

Good luck!

Message Edited by ocheosa on 04-27-2009 10:16 AM

Unfortunately, I have already tried the underwriting department and they wouldn't budge.  They never admit to using your actual score as a deciding factor--they always say that it is the information on the report and not the actual score that determines what they can and can't approve.  They probably said that as they were staring at some chart in their office showing different FICO tiers.

As for my APR, they said the derogatory rate will end in October since that will be the one year anniversary of going over the limit due to the unexpected annual fee.  The way it sounds, I would be surprised if anything happened before that.

Message 14 of 23
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

be careful with cabelas, they can be touchy especially lately.

Usbank will come around, call them in 6 months and ask for the cli without credit pull, usually $1500 

What do you mean by "touchy" in regards to Cabelas?  CLD's?  Other AA?

I agree that US Bank will definitely come around eventually and I want to stay on good terms with them since they are the only "prime" CC I have right now.  I definitely don't want to burn that bridge.  Up until now, I have actually had nothing but good experiences with them and I have also seen all the positive comments on myFico about them, too.

Message 15 of 23
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@valley_man0505 wrote:

Unfortunately, I have already tried the underwriting department and they wouldn't budge.  They never admit to using your actual score as a deciding factor--they always say that it is the information on the report and not the actual score that determines what they can and can't approve.  They probably said that as they were staring at some chart in their office showing different FICO tiers.

As for my APR, they said the derogatory rate will end in October since that will be the one year anniversary of going over the limit due to the unexpected annual fee.  The way it sounds, I would be surprised if anything happened before that.

Well Kudos to you for trying a recon!!!!

Give them a little time, it gets better...  In October when you get the APR lowered, ask the customer service rep for the internal CLI. It'll be a 2fer phone call !!

BTW, CONGRATS on the Cabela's Visa!!! Whoo Hoooo! I've purchased from their website..great pricing on ammo.

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
Message 16 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

My cabelas was CLD from 3k to $1500 while it was in the mail.

At 4 months I asked for CLI and got CLD down to $1000.

Last week it 9 months and on review they closed my entire account.

then 4 days later my parents (in the 700;s) had there over 10 year old cabelas card closed also!

They review your credit every 3 months and if they don't like something count it gone

Message 17 of 23
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

CLD while in the mail?  Wow.  That scares me because I have not received my card in the mail yet and it has been 2 weeks since my application was approved.  I just moved into my new house, but I still have my apartment til the end of this month as well.  When I filled out the app, I used my apartment address to be sure it wouldn't look strange since my new house address was not showing on my credit reports yet.  Now, my mail is already being forwarded from the apartment to my house and I am worried that the card is not going to be forwarded.  I have been worried that if I call them and tell them I need to change the mailing address right away, that it may trigger some sort of fraud alert in their system or something.
Message 18 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

It sure would be a big trigger but think your going to have to bite the bullet and do it because I don't believe credit cards forward in mail.
Message 19 of 23
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

valley_man0505 wrote: 
Now, my mail is already being forwarded from the apartment to my house and I am worried that the card is not going to be forwarded.  I have been worried that if I call them and tell them I need to change the mailing address right away, that it may trigger some sort of fraud alert in their system or something.

Call your local USPS branch and ask. There is nothing on the envelope that states no forwarding, but could be policy. If they cannot forward you can ask that they hold any non forwarding mail for pickup. This would work out well if you are in the general area. Could be a nightmare if you've moved more than 30 mins away. (For me anyway).

Congratulations on your new home!

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.