Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No recon at Cap1? True or not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No recon at Cap1? True or not?

So I called cap1 today after my CLI request was declined. I asked for the recon dept and the csr put me on with her supervisor. I was denied because I just got an auto CLI in June. It's was only $250 but it was the ONLY auto CLI I've ever received in 10 years worth of history and the only CLI at all the entire 10 years. So I accepted it thinking it was some kind of gift from God lol. Anyway, now knowing better I know I should've called and countered but I'm still rebuilding and didn't even know I could do that. I keep hitting the wall every month with this insanely low limit and I'm trying to take advantage of my rewards. I'd like to run more spend through and PIF like I'm doing now. It's the QS1. Next week after we close on our house I'm going to app for the QS, Plat and Venture on the same day.

Anyway, I offered to send them paycheck stubs to prove income to support a limit increase - I make $96k per year and she said there is no recon dept, no one who manually reviews info. That my recourse is to wait until Jan and try again. Is this true? Cap1 has no recon dept???
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Credit Profile - Senior Account Manager finally cleared it up!

So after being a 10 year customer with cap1, and making $96k a year, I still have a dinky $750 CL with my QS1 card (just PC's from Plat). I have applied for CLI and denied because they gave me the last little one - $250 - 4 months ago. So, I finally talked to an account executive who couldn't be nicer, she was very sweet. And asked her what gives. She said that I do have to wait the couple months to Dec 1 to app for a CLI, but she also said that even though my credit scores had changed (I actually think they were higher way back then in my 20s), and my salary had increased 4x over, that the same profile I app'd with way back then stays with you when you try to CLI. she said that my account history looked great and that my profile today looked great BUT I would probably get what I ask for newly applying for another product. I was going to do that anyway.

So, not just for Cap1, but for other banks, maybe getting frustrated over CLI's on cards you have had forever is just beating your head against the wall. Maybe just app for a different product. I like them, they were good to me and very easy to work with when I got into a credit bind a couple years back so I don't want to get all frustrated and close them. I'm going to do a multi app on one day for a couple of their other products and see what sticks.

Message 2 of 9
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: No recon at Cap1? True or not?

Yes and no. It's true there is no true recon department. But a analyst could manually review for a CLI. Have you tried reaching out a senior analyst? I think there's a number. Could also try FB they are pretty decent. Just stay firm with FB when they say to go online and request it.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
So I called cap1 today after my CLI request was declined. I asked for the recon dept and the csr put me on with her supervisor. I was denied because I just got an auto CLI in June. It's was only $250 but it was the ONLY auto CLI I've ever received in 10 years worth of history and the only CLI at all the entire 10 years. So I accepted it thinking it was some kind of gift from God lol. Anyway, now knowing better I know I should've called and countered but I'm still rebuilding and didn't even know I could do that. I keep hitting the wall every month with this insanely low limit and I'm trying to take advantage of my rewards. I'd like to run more spend through and PIF like I'm doing now. It's the QS1. Next week after we close on our house I'm going to app for the QS, Plat and Venture on the same day.

Anyway, I offered to send them paycheck stubs to prove income to support a limit increase - I make $96k per year and she said there is no recon dept, no one who manually reviews info. That my recourse is to wait until Jan and try again. Is this true? Cap1 has no recon dept???

You could contact the EO and request a manual review for CLI.   Or you could wait 6 calendar months from your last CLI and just use the LUV button.   Do bear in mind that CLI decisions are based on your overall profile, which includes income as well as internal and external scores.   With your current FICO scores, most creditors aren't going to hand over large CLs.   I would definitely recommend continuing to work on the issues that are depressing your scores.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Credit Profile - Senior Account Manager finally cleared it up!

From reading the forums I've seen that if someone is stuck they go to prequal site for cap one and app for venture one and end up with a sweet starting limit.
Message 5 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One Credit Profile - Senior Account Manager finally cleared it up!

@Anonymous wrote:
From reading the forums I've seen that if someone is stuck they go to prequal site for cap one and app for venture one and end up with a sweet starting limit.

+1

My QS1 card was 'stuck' at $1720 (it is eight years old) and I used the pre-qual site... it said I was pre-qualified for Venture and Quicksilver.  I choose the Quicksilver, and was instantly approved for $5k (it has been increased to $7k).  Had I chosen Venture, it likely would have been even higher.

Keep in mind if you do eventually get someone to do a manual review for your existing account, they might end up doing a HP for the review.  Of course, a new app with Capital One is three HPs, but unless you're into card churning I wouldn't 'sweat' the inquiries, since it will likely be worth it.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I emailed the EO yesterday (I felt so stupid emailing the CEO for a CLI hahaha). But I figured it was 5 min of my time and I've been a longtime loyal customer. I did go to the prequal and see that I would be approved for the Platinum and QS. I'm waiting for my house to close but I'll app those two plus venture (might as well try). I am sure you are right. The account executive I spoke to yesterday told me that even though my current profile has changed and the market has changed over the last 10 years, your original profile gets stuck with you unless and usually apping for another product is the best course of action.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep us updated as I see we have similar scores!   I want my mutant QS World MasterCard but fear it may never happen.

edit:  bc I type too fast.  I see your August is similar to my October and you are probably higher than me but I'm curious nonetheless

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It worked! I just looked at my Cap1 online today and I got a 100% increase of $750 to bring my new CL to $1500! This after repeated denials and having a small $250 increase in June. I am stoked!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.