Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No specific place to ask this

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No specific place to ask this

Within the next few months I'm planning to trade the sable in. I'm considering a prius, a crossover or a small suv. I don't know anything about Saturn, but the saturn dealer here just shut down about a month ago. What I really want is reliability. Having something that the manufacturer actually stands behind would be very nice!! I just don't think I'm going to find that in American made and that makes me very sad.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have personally have 4 Fords (1995 Mustang 145K miles, 1999 Expedition 133K miles, 2004 Focus 115K miles and 2006 Explorer 40K miles[Traded in a 2001 Escape]). I guess it all depends on driving habits and how well you maintain a vehicle. And the funny thing is I'm not a union worker or wasn't raised by a union worker nor am I a "buy American" advocate. I guess I have always liked their style and quality.
Message 12 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on the great track record!

We're maintenance freaks around our house, and I'm very kind to my cars, all of which have gone over 200K miles. Well, other than the you-know-what.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hauling, I'm a big guy too and love my Expy, I think your DH would love the comfort (but not the gas mileage)Smiley Sad
Message Edited by RenoFico on 02-13-2009 08:54 PM
Message 14 of 24
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

I do know there were transmission issues with FOMOCO. I had a 1987 Mercury Sable which reached 120,000 in twelve years before I sold for twenty percent of original cost. Lucky, maybe. I was told by a friend that even back then the issue had existed prior to that year.

Something most people don't seem to factor into any company's transmissions is the terrain in which you live and drive. The people in the plains are not going through these things like folks in the Rockies and Appalachians. This is true for brakes as well. Another issue. I have an American and German auto presently. They happen to be trouble free. However if they required equal amounts of service and repair, the loser would be the German car. (part cost are breathtaking) This is true for a number of non domestics. Had the op's Transmission not been on a domestic product the thread could read quite differently since the bill would not have been $2400.00.

Having said all this; there are a lot of apples and oranges here. There is still room for those of us with individual taste. Auto hell for me would be driving a Camry; alot like the equivalent of a generic car. May be a good car, but boy does it have no personality.

Returning to credit issues.

CI

Message 15 of 24
tatiana
Contributor

My Toyota was a bonafide lemon.  

My Chrysler has been an absolute dream.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Might as well change my surname to Morgan-Chase.
Closed on my crazy midcentury home in July, 2012! Thanks, FHA!
Message 16 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

CHARGE_IT wrote:

Something most people don't seem to factor into any company's transmissions is the terrain in which you live and drive. The people in the plains are not going through these things like folks in the Rockies and Appalachians. This is true for brakes as well. Another issue. I have an American and German auto presently. They happen to be trouble free. However if they required equal amounts of service and repair, the loser would be the German car. (part cost are breathtaking)

Very true. We live on the side of a mountain, and each morning I creep down the hill, hoping that the brakes hold and I don't get dumped out onto a busy 2-line highway. There's a lot of shifting involved around here, whether automatic or manual.

And I hear you on German car maintenance, whew. I may have finally convinced DH to give up on them.

Peas, my mother bought one of the first Saturns ever built, and she's had them ever since. The dealer calls her up, begging her to trade in, so that he can have her current cream-puff. She's never had a moment's trouble. Of course, she puts about 3K miles a year on it, lol.

And I'd love to have a Vue, if I give up on sedans. But the Saturn brand has been dropped, hasn't it? I can't keep track any more. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in the mid-west. No moutains. Always stay on top of keeping the car serviced. My mechanic and the guy who fixed my transmission made sure I understood that the problem I had was not related to upkeep. It was an issue that has been common with this particular transmission.

Does anyone own a prius?

Message 18 of 24
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

My 2001 Sable got a new transmission at 109k in June, 2007.   Yep, it's a known problem.  High miles were put on by a single owner, my ex-fil.  He maintained it impeccably.   I sold it shortly before the warranty on the new transmission was about to expire.

I bought a Honda CR-V, have never liked an auto as much as my little wannabe-SUV.  Another happy Honda owner.

Ford products?  Not in the forseeable future.

atlast....

Message Edited by atlastontheroad on 02-14-2009 06:02 PM
Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Everything you pay monthly at the start will be interest so after paying on the account for 2 or 3 months the principle will still be nearly the amount you barrowed. The account will show PIF or paying as agreed for 7 more years.

What kind of car do you have that losy its transmision in 60K miles?

The account may not stay on your report for 7 years.  In August 2007, I took out a $3500 installment loan and paid it in full in 4 months.  The account reported to each of the CRAs but, as of last month, the account only reports on EX. 

Perhaps an exception to the rule,

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.