cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob have some questions.

Established Contributor

Noob have some questions.

Ok guys, I was just approved for Amex BCE, and Discover It Student about 2 weeks ago. I'm thinking of calling Chase, and ask for a CLI becuase it's been 6+ months now since my last CLI.  Should I ask for a CLI?? I'm also going to do the Amex 3x CLI in 61 days from May 31st...

More info about me: Full time college student, with a part time job, and I get grants and fin aid.. I'm also going to take out private student loans in the next couple of months....

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (2/16) TU: 690 EX: 684 EQ: 690
Goal Score: (7/18) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Gardening until July 2018!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Noob have some questions.

Personally, I wouldn't because Chase usually requires a HP in order to do a CLI.

Give it another 6 months and then ask.

Have you explored your options with federal student loans?  I hate to see someone take out private student loans when there are subsidized federal loans available.

I went to college on grants and did not have to take out any student loans during those years on the grants.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Message 2 of 7
Mega Contributor

If your willing to give up a HP go for it! IMO id wait a year.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 7
Established Contributor

webhopper wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't because Chase usually requires a HP in order to do a CLI.

Give it another 6 months and then ask.

Have you explored your options with federal student loans?  I hate to see someone take out private student loans when there are subsidized federal loans available.

I went to college on grants and did not have to take out any student loans during those years on the grants.

Oh the only reason I'm taking a private studen loan is because i don't have money for the security deposit required for the place I found. Aside from that, I have a fed subsidized student loan, but the money from all my fin aid will be disembursed too little too late.. (a week before school starts).

That said, I won't ask for a CLI on Chase then.. lol

Message 4 of 7
Established Contributor

Bump cos I don't want to make another thread.

That said, I'm thinking of applying for another card before I garden for 3 months... Should I apply?

Or maybe just raise the CL of my Best Buy card (which is Capital One) because it's been at $800 ever since I first got it..??

Message 5 of 7
Epic Contributor

enxinas wrote:

That said, I'm thinking of applying for another card before I garden for 3 months... Should I apply?

Or maybe just raise the CL of my Best Buy card (which is Capital One) because it's been at $800 ever since I first got it..??

Check if you have Best Buy Plan A or B... if it's B you are stuck at what you are at... if it's A request request request (right online) it's SP and should be instant...

might just have to apply for increase to find out what type you have.

You could add a Citi Card to your mix and you can do the pre-qual they have on their site... I wouldn't bother applying right now though if you don't get an offer.

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Creditaddict wrote:

enxinas wrote:

Check if you have Best Buy Plan A or B... if it's B you are stuck at what you are at... if it's A request request request (right online) it's SP and should be instant...

might just have to apply for increase to find out what type you have.

You could add a Citi Card to your mix and you can do the pre-qual they have on their site... I wouldn't bother applying right now though if you don't get an offer.

Thanks! I just increased my CL, and I'm also prequal on a bunch of cards: Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card, Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®, and Citi Simplicity® Card.

Is it just me, or knowing how to increase CL, and managing CCs are addicting? lol

Message 7 of 7