cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob question about airline and hotel cards and usage....

tag
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

Noob question about airline and hotel cards and usage....

So thanks to everyone on here educating me about rewards cards and sign up bonuses, I picked up a couple airline and hotel cards late last year and earlier this year. I used them for the obvious, travel!  But as my travel winds down for a few months, I'm not using them as much, if at all for that matter. My question is, is it "bad" to sock drawer them until I need them for airline tickets and hotel stays?  My travel is for leisure and travel 3-4x a year.  I guess I'm not used to having several cards in the rotation.... Up until a year ago I had 2 credit cards.....  Smiley Happy

Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Noob question about airline and hotel cards and usage....

Depends on:

Do they have AF's most do? 

Will you profit from them after the AF is paid?

Do you have other cards that can circumvent needing those? 

Example CSP, Plat, PRG UR/MR points Prestige/Premier

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Depends on:

Do they have AF's most do?  Yes

Will you profit from them after the AF is paid? I like to think so.  For the hotels, the free night(s) stay and for the airline, the free checked luggage and priority boarding.

Example CSP, Plat, PRG UR/MR points Prestige/Premier I have CSP and PRG..and those are my daily spend cards along with freedom and capital one QS

Message 3 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@irunfromcredit wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Depends on:

Will you profit from them after the AF is paid? I like to think so.  For the hotels, the free night(s) stay and for the airline, the free checked luggage and priority boarding.

Example CSP, Plat, PRG UR/MR points Prestige/Premier I have CSP and PRG..and those are my daily spend cards along with freedom and capital one QS

Based on that your UR/MR are transferable to alot of airlines and hotels and you need to weigh the cost for free bags

Like you I have my hotel card (Hyatt) which I plan to keep for the upgrages and free annual night but I don't need to make it a daily user per se cause I can top off my account with UR points ....See my meaning on what that card is worth to me? Annual night w/perks that's it

Some Airline CC can be topped off this way as well so then it comes down to how many bags I'm flying with and will I get over the AF 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 6
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@irunfromcredit wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Depends on:

Based on that your UR/MR are transferable to alot of airlines and hotels and you need to weigh the cost for free bags

Like you I have my hotel card (Hyatt) which I plan to keep for the upgrages and free annual night but I don't need to make it a daily user per se cause I can top off my account with UR points ....See my meaning on what that card is worth to me? Annual night w/perks that's it

Some Airline CC can be topped off this way as well so then it comes down to how many bags I'm flying with and will I get over the AF 

Yes my thinking is along the same lines as yours. I use my daily spend cards to top off for my airline and hotel cards.  And for me the perks are worth the annual fee.  I guess I'm just trying to wrap my brain around the "credit card" game and best way managing cards.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

mj, can you provide an example of how that works? Thank you Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.