Noobie questions

tag
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Re: Noobie questions

@chan85 wrote:

@atarvuzdar wrote:

Hi all, new to the forums here...

I've got several questions regarding, well, a variety of things relating to credit cards.

I currently have:

1. Cap One Platinum (rebuilder): Started w/ $300 CL in Feb 2011, bumped to $500 in August 2011 through Steps program. Any chance of getting a CLI on this? From what I've read, not likely, but wanted to make sure.

2. Cap One No Hassle Rewards (the one for fair credit): Started w/ $500 CL in Dec 2011, will be bumped to $750 through Steps program sometime this summer.

I would recommend that you use the card for something every month. My personal theory about cap 1 is that they like useage even its is small. And part of the steps programs is to use it. I had the cap one rewards card as well, $500 cl when i opened 3/2011, then went to $750 with my one credit step. I carried a balance for awhile, occassionally pif and then running it back up, had my netflix bill every month and then occassionally used it when i was out. i got bumped to 2250 a few months ago. I recommend you call the back door number and find out what the ceiling is on that card. i had another card with them since 2004 at 500 and it never increased, it wasn't until i called and found out it was a builder card that wasn't going to grow. they made money on me with interest and swipe fees, and i think they rewarded me. nothing i suggest is a gurantee for a CLI but i am almost certain that SD the card as a form of punishment for them keeping your line low isn't going to phase them or pusuade them to increase it for you. i also think it helped that they saw i was heavily using my zync card and it was being managed well even with balances nearing $10k reporting at times. they wanted in on that action!

Thanks for the input--looks like you got your card a little after I received my first Cap One. When you were bumped to $2,250 did they do it themselves or did you request it? I'm wondering if I should request an increase after my 1 yr anniversary?

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 11 of 12
chan85
Established Contributor

Re: Noobie questions

Thanks for the input--looks like you got your card a little after I received my first Cap One. When you were bumped to $2,250 did they do it themselves or did you request it? I'm wondering if I should request an increase after my 1 yr anniversary?

They did it. As of now they don't do cust requested increases. It has to be auto.

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.