Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noooo! Barclays HP'd me for CLI :(

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Noooo! Barclays HP'd me for CLI :(

I knew it was too good to be true. Just got the alert from MyFICO. Barclays HP'd me for the CLI I got on Sunday. 

There goes my spade Smiley Sad 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Noooo! Barclays HP'd me for CLI :(

Were you expecting it to be a SP for some reason? Sucks but customer initiated CLI requests online with Barclay are always HP. You might be able to get a SP increase by phone at some point but I would make sure the rep states as much during the call. Did you at least get the increase? If so then the inq wasnt wasted. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 12
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Were you expecting it to be a SP for some reason? Sucks but customer initiated CLI requests online with Barclay are always HP. You might be able to get a SP increase by phone at some point but I would make sure the rep states as much during the call. Did you at least get the increase? If so then the inq wasnt wasted. Smiley Happy

It was during my phone call to lower the APR on my Apple Rewards card. I asked if a CLI was available and she said that my credit report would be accessed, but did not say it would be a HP Smiley Sad 

I did get a CLI, but I don't think $950 in exchange for it was worth it. If I would have gotten the $3500 additional that I asked for, this might be an easier pill to swallow. 

Message 3 of 12
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

IIRC this was a a request made via phone call after APR reduction

ETA: Beat me to the punch Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It was during my phone call to lower the APR on my Apple Rewards card. I asked if a CLI was available and she said that my credit report would be accessed, but did not say it would be a HP Smiley Sad 

I did get a CLI, but I don't think $950 in exchange for it was worth it. If I would have gotten the $3500 additional that I asked for, this might be an easier pill to swallow. 

This statement = HP. From this point forward anytime you read it or hear it assume this will be a HP. Now if she had said they would review a current report on file or something along those lines then that might have meant a SP but I would have asked for clarification in either case.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

I knew it was too good to be true. Just got the alert from MyFICO. Barclays HP'd me for the CLI I got on Sunday. 

There goes my spade Smiley Sad 

Didn't you ask about it in a thread? Barclaycard is always a hard inquiry for increases except for automatic or offered by retentions. Requests are still subject to review.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Sad Well thats kind of a bummer so sorry you didnt get what you requested but at least you know how it works going forward. Something is better than nothing.

Message 7 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I knew as soon as you said "your credit report would be accessed", in your previous thread, that it was going to be a HP. They may not come out and say "hard pull", but if they mention accessing your report count on a HP unless they explicitly state that its a SP.

With any CLI you must expect the potential of a HP. You're seeking credit. The common "ask for apr reduction" meme with Barclays doesnt mean you are immune to a HP. You must ask detailed questions of the analyst if you want to avoid the pull. Be careful following the common anecdotes too closely. Always ask questions.

Nevertheless at least you got something out of it.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked barclay multiple times to be sure the rep wasn't going to pull hp. "you are sure it isn't going to require hard inquiry on my credit report?", "yes". Repeated that about 4 more times.
Message 9 of 12
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I asked barclay multiple times to be sure the rep wasn't going to pull hp. "you are sure it isn't going to require hard inquiry on my credit report?", "yes". Repeated that about 4 more times.

always a great strategy when asking for a CLI with any bank. Make sure you ask more than once and you get a clear answer just for the reason if you end up with a HP, you can call back and have a good chance of getting it removed since most calls are recorded. But to OP...dont feel bad, it has happened to some of us here.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.