Regular Contributor
EandK23

Re: Nordstom's Visa Signature - Instant Approval

Congrats!! I have 3 primary cards I use: Amex BCE, Chase Freedom, and Discover More. Chase and Discover are used for rotating 5% and Amex for groceries and everything else. It's all about how you use the cards.
Regular Contributor
credithappy

CraveMazda wrote:

Right now, until Sept 16th Nordstroms's is offering triple points to cardholders. They were also offering a special bonus for a skincare line I use so I decided to take the plunge today and apply for their visa card. Got approved for $5K! Yay:smileyvery-happy:! I'm really thrilled because I wanted to get another card with a higher limit before closing my $700 Cap One card that charges me $29/year. I haven't even used the card in a year...

Question. Why do people set out to get so many credit cards? I've noticed on peoples signatures that they have various cards but we all know we don't use all of them. Is there a reason other than helping lower utilization (if you have balance) that one needs so many cards?

CONGRATS!!! I have the store card I hope to be upgraded to the visa card soon.  I got a $3000 CLI in July 2012 which makes my CL $3,500 for big sale that they had for the winter.  

In my wallet: Amex Zync - Amex BCP - Amex Mercedes-Benz - Amex PRG - Amex TrueEarnings - Emigrant Direct Visa - Xcel FCU Visa - Walmart Discover - Sam's Club Discover - Macy's - Bloomingdales - Nordstrom - Sam's Club CC - Discover IT and US Bank Visa FlexPerks, CitiHHonors Sig Visa - NAVcheck and NAVcashRewards Sig Visa
Valued Contributor
RockinRay

Congrats!  :smileyhappy:

I like to use my Siggy Visa at Macy's!  :smileyvery-happy:

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **

Established Contributor
emptypockets

[ Edited ]

CraveMazda wrote:

Right now, until Sept 16th Nordstroms's is offering triple points to cardholders. They were also offering a special bonus for a skincare line I use so I decided to take the plunge today and apply for their visa card. Got approved for $5K! Yay:smileyvery-happy:! I'm really thrilled because I wanted to get another card with a higher limit before closing my $700 Cap One card that charges me $29/year. I haven't even used the card in a year...

Question. Why do people set out to get so many credit cards? I've noticed on peoples signatures that they have various cards but we all know we don't use all of them. Is there a reason other than helping lower utilization (if you have balance) that one needs so many cards?

For me, I got several cards while rebuilding from my BK. When I was 7-8 yrs post BK, I started reading the Forums, and found out about cards I could likely get, with higher limits than the rebuilders. Some of those cards I got to use and to help with utilization. The ones with no AF, I kept. I also kept the store cards I use regularly, like Kohls, Macy's and Discover. To be honest, I have thought about closing Jared (just rarely use it). But with no AF, and a 7.6 k limit, it is a good cushion for Util. I keep Nordstrom for occasional sales, and it also has a 10k limit.  I do have to rotate cards in my " rotation" to use them at times. 

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Nordstrom Visa,US Bank Cash+, Chase (5), Huntington Voice, UMB Visa, Nasa FCU Plat Visa, Barclay's Visa, Citi (4), Discover IT, Walmart Discover, Sam's MC, Cabela's Visa, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, 5/3 RLR MC, Macy's AMEX; Several store cards.

Current Scores: EQ (6/14): 800; TU MyFico (6/14): 814; Walmart TU Fico 08 (8/7/2014): 816; EX (6/14): 775
Established Contributor
amercnchopz34

emptypockets wrote:

CraveMazda wrote:

For me, I got several cards while rebuilding from my BK. When I was 7-8 yrs post BK, I started reading the Forums, and found out about cards I could likely get, with higher limits than the rebuilders. Some of those cards I got to use and to help with utilization. The ones with no AF, I kept. I also kept the store cards I use regularly, like Kohls, Macy's and Discover. To be honest, I have thought about closing Jared (just rarely use it). But with no AF, and a 7.6 k limit, it is a good cushion for Util. I keep Nordstrom for occasional sales, and it also has a 10k limit.  I do have to rotate cards in my " rotation" to use them at times. 

hold old was your BK when u got your high CL cards???

Established Contributor
emptypockets

I would say the 5 yr mark is when I started being approved for higher (5k +) limits. Prior to that, I wasn't too knowledgeable about what to do to get better limits (asking for CLI's, etc.). Once I got 1-2 higher limit cards, it becamsa easier after that. Plus, by the 5 yr mark, many of my smaller cards were older, and better established leading to more CLI's and approvals with higher limits.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Nordstrom Visa,US Bank Cash+, Chase (5), Huntington Voice, UMB Visa, Nasa FCU Plat Visa, Barclay's Visa, Citi (4), Discover IT, Walmart Discover, Sam's MC, Cabela's Visa, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, 5/3 RLR MC, Macy's AMEX; Several store cards.

Current Scores: EQ (6/14): 800; TU MyFico (6/14): 814; Walmart TU Fico 08 (8/7/2014): 816; EX (6/14): 775
Frequent Contributor
ShiningDown

What was your score when you applied. Did they pull transunion? Was your utilization low.  

Just something to compare our own credit with, congrats!  Thanks.

Contributor
CraveMazda

Last check my EQ was at 691. I have a few baddies that will fall off next year, but I have 20 + years of history (thanks to backdating thru my Amex Zync). It's been a slow climb rebuilding my credit. I don't have a mortgage and think that might be why my score hasn't gotten up to the 700's yet. I don't think my profile is well rounded enough.

Cap 1 Plat: $750 | Zync: NPSL | NFCU Rewards MC: $23K | Nordstrom Visa: $10K | USAA Amex: $4K | Chase Freedom: $5K | Discover IT: 11,500K | BCE: $ 11K

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+