Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nordstrom Account - High Balance Reported

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nordstrom Account - High Balance Reported

I have a Nordstrom card, and since there is "soft limit" (I'm not sure that it's technically a "No Present Spending Limit", since there is a limit, it's just higher than my actually reported CL), I occasionally go over my CL, although I always pay it down before my statement closes.

I called Nordstrom and asked them what information is reported to credit bureaus, and the rep I spoke with assured me that balances aren't reported - meaning CLs aren't reported, ending balances aren't reported, and high balances aren't reported.

Well, I just checked my Equifax report, and lo and behold, all of that information is there.

Needless to say, I'm worried that it looks bad that I'm charging more than my stated CL, even though again, I always pay it down, and Nordstrom lets (actually encourages) you go over your CL.

Have I been shooting myself in the foot?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Nordstrom Account - High Balance Reported

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, just their regular store card.

Message 3 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Interesting. I have their store card too and I am unfamiliar with 'soft limit'. My high bal and CL have always reported.
Message 4 of 8
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

I'd ask if you have paid on time 6 months or more for a cli they are really good about this but you have to ask.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@09Lexie wrote:
Interesting. I have their store card too and I am unfamiliar with 'soft limit'. My high bal and CL have always reported.

A soft limit just means that you can actually charge more than your stated CL. At least in my experience, this seems to be a point of pride for Nordstrom, as I'm always being told about it. It's also one reason why I've taken advantage of it (that, and the belief that it wouldn't hurt me, as long as everything was paid down by the end of the billing cycle).

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarkell wrote:
I'd ask if you have paid on time 6 months or more for a cli they are really good about this but you have to ask.

Did that; it's been 4 months since my last CLI, so the rep said I should wait another 2 months, but otherwise, from what he could see of my account, everything's in excellent order, so when I do get that CLI, his hint was that it should be a pretty hefty one. Still, I'd appreciate it more now, rather than later.

(For some reason, I thought that one could ask for a CLI from Nordstrom every 4 months. Not sure where I got that from.)

Message 7 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ Nord - learn something new everyday. I haven't come close to my CL yet so I'm interested to see what kind of increase I will get. Had the card since November and they SPd me last week.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.