cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nordstrom said "DENIED" Should I ask for a recon?

tag
AprilShowers4
New Contributor

Nordstrom said "DENIED" Should I ask for a recon?

Hi everyone! Smiley Happy

I applied to Nordstrom last week and they denied my request for a store card. On the denial letter, it list that my credit score from equifax is 610. They also list key factors that adversely affected my score such as:

Derogatory public record or collection filed ( I was evicted back in 2010, I lost my job and was unemployed for 6 whole months)

Too many inquires in the last 12 months ( I went on an app spree, I know I know, it was before I found this great board)

Length of time since derogatory public record or collection is too sort ( Eviction in 2010)

Proportion of balances to credit limits is too ig on bank revoving or other revolving acounts ( I have a capital one platinum that has a 300 CL and the balance is at 277)

So let me know what you guys think, I value your opinions! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

Re: Nordstrom said "DENIED" Should I ask for a recon?

You applied and took a HP, you might as well recon.  It deff. can't hurt anything.  The CSRs as normally very helpful and you might be able to get them to recon. if you explain your previous situation with the eviction.  I would call, explain your past difficulty, mention how much you love the store and have been shopping there (and are really looking forward to earning the Nordstrom's Notes.  Also, mentioning that you would be more than happy to accept the lowest possible CL might not hurt.  You can always call in and request a CLI in 6 months (maybe it's 7 with Nordstrom's, I forget).

@AprilShowers4 wrote:

Hi everyone! Smiley Happy

I applied to Nordstrom last week and they denied my request for a store card. On the denial letter, it list that my credit score from equifax is 610. They also list key factors that adversely affected my score such as:

Derogatory public record or collection filed ( I was evicted back in 2010, I lost my job and was unemployed for 6 whole months)

Too many inquires in the last 12 months ( I went on an app spree, I know I know, it was before I found this great board)

Length of time since derogatory public record or collection is too sort ( Eviction in 2010)

Proportion of balances to credit limits is too ig on bank revoving or other revolving acounts ( I have a capital one platinum that has a 300 CL and the balance is at 277)

So let me know what you guys think, I value your opinions! 

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 2 of 6
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Always recon, if given some sort of denial or 7-10 day message.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 6
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I'd definitely wait until the inquiries had gotten older. App Sprees, though fun for some, aren't really the best way to build credit.

Also, when applying again make sure the one credit card isn't reporting as maxed-out.

For the eviction, I'd try researching it on the rebuilding forum and seeing if there's any way to have the judgment vacated, working things out with the OC, etc...

I wouldn't personally try recon unless there were inaccuracies. That being said, calling won't cost anything unless they do another HP.

Several years ago, people used to consider Nordstrom Visa and PenFed (gas card) white whales of the credit world. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
ssp
Valued Member

All of those issue will still be there when or if you decide to ask for a recon-I'd pay that card to 0 and get a secured card. I do believe that public record will be there for at least 5 more years until it's paid. It appears that you are in the rebuilding stage so a secured card, a lot of patience AND if you can pay off that judgment that would be a VERY good thing.

TU 792 EQ 782
*In The Garden*

Message 5 of 6
AprilShowers4
New Contributor

Thanks for your input everyone! Now I noticed that the judgement I was telling you guys about reports on my credit report as 700.00 roughly but the account is in collections and is reporting as 2000.00 odd dollars. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.