Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Impressed with Discover More Rewards

tag
GregB
Valued Contributor

Not Impressed with Discover More Rewards

I had been quite impressed with Discover More Rewards lately. Then two things happened that changed my mind:

1. My spending in the current quarter in the 5% rewards for Restaurant and Grocery Store reached their $400 spending cap. This means a total of only $20 rewards in Restaurants and Grocery Store. Somewhat my fault for not reading every bit of small print BUT I'm a very sophisticated consumer with lots of experience and I still have a tough time understanding the rewards "big picture".

2. My account reached its anniversary and my 1% rewards on everything dropped to 0.25% until I've spent $3000. That means I only get $7.50 rewards on the first $3000 in spending this year instead of the expected $30.00 on that $3000. It was explained to me by the CSR that I received 1% rewards unless I spent less than $3000 per year on the card.

So unless one is a big user of Discover to get lots of use in the 5% catagories without going over their spending cap in that catagory, Discover is just not that good as a rewards card. Even if your spending matches the optimum, a normal 1% on everything like my two BofA cards is much better.

I suppose it is better than nothing, but there are lots better deals out there. Just my $0.02 worth.

edited to fix my silly typos

Message Edited by GregB on 12-31-2009 09:03 AM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

Re: Not Impressed with Discover More Rewards

GregB, I have to agree with you on the spending caps and Tiered cashback.  However, what I like about Discover is the online shopping.  They offered the best cashback, imho, when you shop through discover.  I did all my christmas shopping through Discover.  In addition, they have special cashback throughout the year.  For example, they were offering double cashback for department store purchases in November and December (so 2%).  I have to say Discover More is my second favorite cashback card behind Chase Freedom. 
Message 2 of 9
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

I've got to agree that the caps and the tiers (after the CIT) snap the icing off the cake a bit, but the online shopping rewards are pretty good, if you like the vendors and the products and usually buy from them anyways.  Some of the vendors earn you 10% in rewards when shopping, and on the redemption end of things, I've turned $20 in rewards into $25 gift cards frequently, which I then use in-store like cash, getting additional rewards from that store's program on top of Discover's.  (I double-dip when I can...I'd triple dip, but it hurts my back!)

It works for me, but like always, different strokes for different folks.  :smileyhappy:

Message 3 of 9
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@GregB wrote:

.......I'm a very sophisticated consumer with lots of experience and I still have a tough time understanding the rewards "big picture".

The 'big picture' of the rewards game is that it is a gimmick to bind you to use one card so that you get 1 or 2% back as some sort of 'reward'.  Most of us would scoff at comparison shopping at a grocery store, gas station, or other store to get the last 1% squeezed out of a cash transaction but we do it with these reward cards.  I'm not saying they don't have some use, but we put way too much reliance on them, imo.  CCC's really dislike them now and are dialling back these programs.  I don't think they will go away but they will become increasingly less valuable in the future (fewer rewards, expiration dates, program fees, etc).  We would all be better off focussing on managing our budgets to minimize unnecessary expenses and using the cards and PIF each month.  And remember, these programs are not free money, the costs of the program are inevitably rolled in to the price you pay at the cash register.  There is no free lunch in this world. 

Message 4 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@GregB wrote:

I had been quite impressed with Discover More Rewards lately. Then two things happened that changed my mind:

1. My spending in the current quarter in the 5% rewards for Restaurant and Grocery Store reached their $400 spending cap. This means a total of only $20 rewards in Restaurants and Grocery Store. Somewhat my fault for not reading every bit of small print BUT I'm a very sophisticated consumer with lots of experience and I still have a tough time understanding the rewards "big picture".

2. My account reached its anniversary and my 1% rewards on everything dropped to 0.25% until I've spent $3000. That means I only get $7.50 rewards on the first $3000 in spending this year instead of the expected $30.00 on that $3000. It was explained to me by the CSR that I received 1% rewards unless I spent less than $3000 per year on the card.

So unless one is a big user of Discover to get lots of use in the 5% catagories without going over their spending cap in that catagory, Discover is just not that good as a rewards card. Even if your spending matches the optimum, a normal 1% on everything like my two BofA cards is much better.

I suppose it is better than nothing, but there are lots better deals out there. Just my $0.02 worth.

After I really started to track my rewards on various cards, I soon realized that Discover's rewards are pretty lame. There is no "big picture" to be had on such small rewards. The .25% was the icing on the cake for us. My husband used to use his Discover for all of his business expenses, but no longer. Now it's our AmEx Delta. PenFed VISA is for the 5% on gas at the pump and 2% on groceries.

The way we ended up maximizing our Discover rewards was for each of us to have our own accounts. That way, once we spent $400 x 2 on groceries, we at least got $40 total rewards as a couple instead of just the $20. We do that for every category that is workable for us in order to double the 5% rewards. Then, we use the earned cashback for gift cards where we can get another boost on value ($40 cashback for a $50 gift card, for example).

I don't shop through Discover a lot because I can get the same type of deals in mileage through my Delta SkyMiles shopping site. I did utilize the 2% cashback on certain purchases at Christmas (department stores, etc.). What I find frustrating is never being able to track what I am signed up for. I kept getting an alert to sign up for the special 2% at Christmas, even though I knew that I had signed up. It is frustrating to simply TRY to find out what I'm getting rewarded for what. I like Discover as a cc company, but i certainly think they could be much more transparent on their rewards structure.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least this coming quartar is $800 instead of the normal $400!
Message 6 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

If you put something on your Discover More for a 0.25% reward you're doing something wrong. And if you put something on your Discover More for a 1.00% reward you've done something wrong a whole lotta times to get to that point. The regular (tiered) rewards and the BT offers are not worth a hoot. This card is strictly for the 5% categories and ShopDiscover. I rarely use it for anything else. That said I like the card and their service is great. I also like my nice CL with them. You just have to use the card the right way to get any mileage out of it.
Message 7 of 9
GregB
Valued Contributor

I wish I had known then what I know now.......... Otherwise known as 20/20 hindsight.

I suppose I should have figured out it wasn't worthwhile a year ago. I've been really happy getting $50-$80 per month credit to my Discover account per month on charges that I would have paid anyway, many of which I just would have paid via check. At that rate, the $50 increment to "claim" the reward is not a problem.

In the month that my account reached its anniversary, I spent the $3,000, so I guess I'm committed for another year. Anything I spend gets me 1% until NEXT November. I charged $5,900 today so that is $60 rewards on something that I used to just pay via check. And, of course, I can get my $20 when the 5% for groceries and restaurants comes around again.

Come November, 2010 Discover gets replaced with something better, which I will have found before that. Probably either a 2% Schwab FIA card or BK - not likely to be something in-between.

Message 8 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

We may need to conduct a BK exorcism for you. If you end up going that way be sure to use all your Discover rewards before they close the account.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.