Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a good day regarding my CC mail

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not a good day regarding my CC mail

I get home from school & volunteering tonight and check the mail - something from BOA and something from Discover. I open BOA - apparently my CC number and info has potentially been compromised, so they're closing my acct and giving me a new CC and new acct #. I call the number provided to ensure this won't look like I'm credit shopping, and the CSR wants me to tell her my current CC number, my name, my email address, the card's exp date and the 3-digit security code. Seems kinda sketchy so I refuse the last 2. She asks for a family member's name, I reply and we're good. I guess this acct will show up as closed due to it being lost/stolen on my CR or something. Fun.

I then open the Discover mail and find that my Open Road rewards are changing from 5% cashback on gas to 2% cashback on gas & restaurants. I don't eat out much. Fantastic.

I got mail a while back saying my Chase rewards are changing on Oct 1 to the silly rotating areas. It's impressive how these new laws are really messing with once-great rewards structures.

Almost makes me wish I hadn't checked the mail...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Not a good day regarding my CC mail

lol, sometimes you have to envy ostriches, don't you?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I get home from school & volunteering tonight and check the mail - something from BOA and something from Discover. I open BOA - apparently my CC number and info has potentially been compromised, so they're closing my acct and giving me a new CC and new acct #. I call the number provided to ensure this won't look like I'm credit shopping, and the CSR wants me to tell her my current CC number, my name, my email address, the card's exp date and the 3-digit security code. Seems kinda sketchy so I refuse the last 2. She asks for a family member's name, I reply and we're good. I guess this acct will show up as closed due to it being lost/stolen on my CR or something. Fun.

I then open the Discover mail and find that my Open Road rewards are changing from 5% cashback on gas to 2% cashback on gas & restaurants. I don't eat out much. Fantastic.

I got mail a while back saying my Chase rewards are changing on Oct 1 to the silly rotating areas. It's impressive how these new laws are really messing with once-great rewards structures.

Almost makes me wish I hadn't checked the mail...

Pez, I received the same Discover notice as well.  Also other changes such as my min pmt going from $15 to $40 due to the new laws and the extent and manner in which I use my acct.  Which admittedly is not often and I PIF.  Also increased my cash advance rate and fee.  No biggies since I never take advances and PIF.  As an aside the new laws needed to be tougher on the banks IMHO.  A lot of the rate hikes and CLD to customers like myself with high FICOs and excellent history should not have been allowed.  And they certainly should not have been given mos in advance to sock it to us.  Discover had already previously increased my purchase APR by 3 pts.  I will say they did give me a CLI however.  Re B of A I shut them down and closed all of my bank accts with them after CLD.

Message Edited by ExcellCR on 09-26-2009 01:58 PM
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Pez, I received the same Discover notice as well.  Also other changes such as my min pmt going from $15 to $40 due to the new laws and the extent and manner in which I use my acct.  Which admittedly is not often and I PIF.  Also increased my cash advance rate and fee.  No biggies since I never take advances and PIF.  As an aside the new laws needed to be tougher on the banks IMHO.  A lot of the rate hikes and CLD to customers like myself with high FICOs and excellent history should not have been allowed. FICO SCORE ALTHOUGH THEY INFLUENCE THE AMOUNT OF CREDIT A COMPANY WISHES TO EXTEND DO NOT EQUATE AN ACROSS THE BOARD CREDIT LIMIT AMOUNT-BANKS HAVE CHANGED THEIR LENDING STANDARDS AND ARE JUST NO LONGER MAKING AVAILABLE THE MONEY THEY HAVE IN THE PAST, AND HAVE LOWERED THEIR PER PERSON EXPOSURE. And they certainly should not have been given mos in advance to sock it to us.  I THINK HAD THEY ALL WAITED UNTIL JANUARY THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN AT A GREATER PUBLIC OPINION DISADVANTAGE. Discover had already previously increased my purchase APR by 3 pts.  I will say they did give me a CLI however.  Re B of A I shut them down and closed all of my bank accts with them after CLD.
Message Edited by ExcellCR on 09-26-2009 01:58 PM

Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

pez478 wrote:

And so another good rewards program bites the dust. Smiley Sad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.