Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to apply online AMEX

tag
JustJen
Regular Contributor

Not able to apply online AMEX

I am a current AMEX cardholder and I was attempting to apply for a revolver online and I got a message saying I'm not able to apply for an additional card online, anyone ever seen this before? It said if i had additional inquiries to call. Lol is that their friendly way of saying I have no way in heck of getting a revolver don't waste your time?!?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Not able to apply online AMEX

remember if you have an Amex you don't want to apply til January cause of backdating.    Member since YEAR + application of new credit MONTH is how they figure things out, you'll have 10 months of extra history if you apply in January.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 16
JustJen
Regular Contributor

Good point!

Message 3 of 16
JustJen
Regular Contributor

Bump

Message 4 of 16
distantarray
Established Contributor

stupid question did you log in? try logging out before looking for cards 

Message 5 of 16
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

remember if you have an Amex you don't want to apply til January cause of backdating.    Member since YEAR + application of new credit MONTH is how they figure things out, you'll have 10 months of extra history if you apply in January.

More details please ?????

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 16
distantarray
Established Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

Don't understand what you need more details on, but I guess I"ll spell it out better.

Amex backdates once you have an account with them. They save the Member Since date (ONLY THE YEAR)

So if you got a Card in December 2012. you would have 1 month history with Amex in January 2013 right. 

Backdating on Amex works by taking the current month of the application  (January 2013)   and adding the month to the member since YEAR.

So  Application month + Member since YEAR. So if your hungry to have aged accounts you'll have the account backdated to January 2012 so even though you JUST got a brand new 2nd Amex in January you'll have a whole year's history.   Ithere's no age benefits if you got the first  and second cards in the same year.

Message 7 of 16
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

Don't understand what you need more details on, but I guess I"ll spell it out better.

Amex backdates once you have an account with them. They save the Member Since date (ONLY THE YEAR)

So if you got a Card in December 2012. you would have 1 month history with Amex in January 2013 right. 

Backdating on Amex works by taking the current month of the application  (January 2013)   and adding the month to the member since YEAR.

So  Application month + Member since YEAR. So if your hungry to have aged accounts you'll have the account backdated to January 2012 so even though you JUST got a brand new 2nd Amex in January you'll have a whole year's history.   Ithere's no age benefits if you got the first  and second cards in the same year.

Got it...Thanks......So if i apps for 1 card now and later on in jan 2013 i apps for another cards...then my account history going to be 15 months which Oct + 2012 = 15 right ????

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 16
YahComb
Established Contributor

new card would have 12 months of history, the first card would have 3 months.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JustJen wrote:

I am a current AMEX cardholder and I was attempting to apply for a revolver online and I got a message saying I'm not able to apply for an additional card online, anyone ever seen this before? It said if i had additional inquiries to call. Lol is that their friendly way of saying I have no way in heck of getting a revolver don't waste your time?!?

Is your Zync NPSL or a hard limit?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.