Regular Contributor
JustJen

Not able to apply online AMEX

I am a current AMEX cardholder and I was attempting to apply for a revolver online and I got a message saying I'm not able to apply for an additional card online, anyone ever seen this before? It said if i had additional inquiries to call. Lol is that their friendly way of saying I have no way in heck of getting a revolver don't waste your time?!?

Established Contributor
distantarray

Re: Not able to apply online AMEX

remember if you have an Amex you don't want to apply til January cause of backdating.    Member since YEAR + application of new credit MONTH is how they figure things out, you'll have 10 months of extra history if you apply in January.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Regular Contributor
JustJen

Good point!

Regular Contributor
JustJen

Bump

Established Contributor
distantarray

stupid question did you log in? try logging out before looking for cards 

Valued Contributor
nicholasyud

distantarray wrote:

remember if you have an Amex you don't want to apply til January cause of backdating.    Member since YEAR + application of new credit MONTH is how they figure things out, you'll have 10 months of extra history if you apply in January.

More details please ?????

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 748 Wishlist: CSP, Simply Cash, SPG, BOLD, INK, United MP,
Goal Score: 800

Walmart: 10k |Usaa: 8k|BCE: 9k| Amex: NSPL|Dis: 3.4k|Cap: 3.5k|CAP: 2k|CSP: 5k| Pen:4.5k

Established Contributor
distantarray

nicholasyud wrote:

distantarray wrote:

Don't understand what you need more details on, but I guess I"ll spell it out better.

Amex backdates once you have an account with them. They save the Member Since date (ONLY THE YEAR)

So if you got a Card in December 2012. you would have 1 month history with Amex in January 2013 right. 

Backdating on Amex works by taking the current month of the application  (January 2013)   and adding the month to the member since YEAR.

So  Application month + Member since YEAR. So if your hungry to have aged accounts you'll have the account backdated to January 2012 so even though you JUST got a brand new 2nd Amex in January you'll have a whole year's history.   Ithere's no age benefits if you got the first  and second cards in the same year.

Valued Contributor
nicholasyud

distantarray wrote:

nicholasyud wrote:

distantarray wrote:

Don't understand what you need more details on, but I guess I"ll spell it out better.

Amex backdates once you have an account with them. They save the Member Since date (ONLY THE YEAR)

So if you got a Card in December 2012. you would have 1 month history with Amex in January 2013 right. 

Backdating on Amex works by taking the current month of the application  (January 2013)   and adding the month to the member since YEAR.

So  Application month + Member since YEAR. So if your hungry to have aged accounts you'll have the account backdated to January 2012 so even though you JUST got a brand new 2nd Amex in January you'll have a whole year's history.   Ithere's no age benefits if you got the first  and second cards in the same year.

Got it...Thanks......So if i apps for 1 card now and later on in jan 2013 i apps for another cards...then my account history going to be 15 months which Oct + 2012 = 15 right ????

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 748 Wishlist: CSP, Simply Cash, SPG, BOLD, INK, United MP,
Goal Score: 800

Walmart: 10k |Usaa: 8k|BCE: 9k| Amex: NSPL|Dis: 3.4k|Cap: 3.5k|CAP: 2k|CSP: 5k| Pen:4.5k

Established Contributor
YahComb

new card would have 12 months of history, the first card would have 3 months.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-758(06/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 7.5K | Disc It 9K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yr AAOA: 25.8 mo
Frequent Contributor
jd5189

[ Edited ]

JustJen wrote:

I am a current AMEX cardholder and I was attempting to apply for a revolver online and I got a message saying I'm not able to apply for an additional card online, anyone ever seen this before? It said if i had additional inquiries to call. Lol is that their friendly way of saying I have no way in heck of getting a revolver don't waste your time?!?

Is your Zync NPSL or a hard limit?

In my wallet: Amex PRG & Zync, Amex BCE (19.2k), Chase Freedom (5k), PSECU Visa/PSL (20k)
Current Scores: Equifax: 738 (Fako) TransUnion: 721 (Fico) Experian: 717 (Fico)
Disclaimer: I am by no means a financial advisor. My posts are based on opinion, experience, and/or knowledge.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+