Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not meeting bonus spend on Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Not meeting bonus spend on Amex

This is what I did with my SW Visa to get the 50k bonus rewards when I had to spend 3k in 3 months.

I used the card to pay all my utilities which I usually pay cash for like:

Cellphone

Gas

Cable

Lunch/Food

Grocery Shopping

It added up in no time BUT since you only have 4 days pay off some utilities then take your cash and pay back the card.

Message 31 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pass up free $100+ dollars? The economy must be good.
Message 32 of 58
jm1991
Regular Contributor

wow, i would have spent 1k in no time. maybe use online portal to buy gift cards that you can use later on? i have marriott rewards and use their online portal which gives me 1 marriott point per $ on giftcards.com and my amex gets another 1pnt/$ for spend, so essentially getting 2pnts/$. Although Visa cards are inelegible for the marriott point, i buy gift cards that i will forsure use later on like Gamestop, Macys, Amazon, bestbuy, ect. I have stocked up many of these cards for shopping during christmas or balck friday. I try to buy only e-gift cards to save on shipping and no restaurant gift cards since i could get 2x by just paying with my marriott card anyways. 

Marriott Premier SV: $8,500 Amex blue sky: $24,000 BoA BBR: $3,900 BoA Cash Rewards: $9,100 Ritz Carlton: $5,000 Discover: $5,000
MyFico Score:752
Message 33 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whether or not to use the points on a cash-equivalent is an ethical question at this point for you. You're only supposed to get 2x points at grocery stores, so purchasing a gift card violates the spirit of the points or works around the problem, depending on your point of view. It won't raise a red flag this week, since everybody's purchases are spiking for Thanksgiving, and you're only picking up another $400, not the $1500 some people have been trying to get away with. I think that if you don't make it a habit, you'll be fine getting the cash equivalent. That said, if it bothers you, you could always pick up an Amazon gift card, which is not a cash-equivalent, and use that for your christmas shopping. 

Message 34 of 58
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Whether or not to use the points on a cash-equivalent is an ethical question at this point for you. You're only supposed to get 2x points at grocery stores, so purchasing a gift card violates the spirit of the points or works around the problem, depending on your point of view. It won't raise a red flag this week, since everybody's purchases are spiking for Thanksgiving, and you're only picking up another $400, not the $1500 some people have been trying to get away with. I think that if you don't make it a habit, you'll be fine getting the cash equivalent. That said, if it bothers you, you could always pick up an Amazon gift card, which is not a cash-equivalent, and use that for your christmas shopping. 

$1,500 is unlikely to cause problems either!   It took Amex 10 months of me spending $25-30K per month to care (and then they cared a lot!)

Message 35 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did it!

Now hopefully they don't screw me out of those points
Message 36 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

No gift cards. Just a couple of big (big for me) online shopping trips
Message 37 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
No gift cards. Just a couple of big (big for me) online shopping trips

Congrats! Whether Christmas or something nice for yourself, I wish you luck!

Message 38 of 58
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

WoW  i would love to hear that story you were a MS machine Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 58
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No gift cards. Just a couple of big (big for me)online shopping trips

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't online purchases charge your account after the purchase is shipped? If that's the case, you still won't meet the minimum spend?

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 40 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.