Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not off to such a good start with Citi.

tag
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

Not off to such a good start with Citi.

I was happy with Citi until today. I spoke to a CSR four times, once regarding my BT and she was amazing, a second I called in a card that I found at my restaurant and the service was good again. One about requesting a CLI without a hard inquiry which was good as well. And today, not so good. I took the average two pulls for my double cash, ypu know the usual. I called a CSR regarding a CLI after sending a secure message using the online center and she assured me it would be a soft pull. Put in the request and two days later they hit me with another do u left pull. 4 pulls for one card, I was upset of course abd called in and the girl I got barely spoke English and on top of that first stated they hadn't done a inquiry and than asked how I knew they pulled my credit, after I stated that I knew she suddenly said yes it was for a CLI, I stated with her 4 times that I was told it would not be a HP, let alone 2 pulls. She wasn't very apologetic about it and kept repeating that it was for the cli. I finally asked her to put the request through for the removal and she said that it couldn't be done... I said I exact words after 10 minutes on the phone "ma'am please put the request through for me and I will call the excutive office tomorrow regarding it" suddenly she had a change of attitude, she was now happy and assured me it could be put up for removal and she would put it through. I'm kinda at a lost, like citi is supposed to have amazing customer service and it in my opinion looks like I scared her saying i would contact the excutive office. Has anyone else had this or did I just get a rare glimpse? Like I've said so far until today it's been amazing and than this I was just taken by surprise....
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Not off to such a good start with Citi.

You got the DC with $1k initially, and then requested a CLI nearly immediately? Do you have the card in hand yet? Is it setup in your on line account with a link that allows requesting a CLI? How did you request the CLI?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 25
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

I've had the card almost 2 weeks, all I requested was a raise to $2,000 and I sent a secure message to begin with, and I even asked if it would be a hard pull, I than called abd talked to a CSR to be reassured it was NOT going to be a hard pull and she told me to put it in online. like I said this took me by surprise because this was the first call with citi I've had like this even when I reconed twice in the past because of denial the CSR's were amazing. mostly I was asking if anyone else has had this like random bad interaction with the CSR and I guess I should have put in my original if when requested online they had been hard pulled as well but I kinda spaced asking that :0
Message 3 of 25
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Confirms to me--- always use the online center for soft increases(never any errors there)and contact customer service when allowing a hard.
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had this exact same problem happen with me. I was told in the website chat feature (and printed the transcript out) that it would be a SP CLI for the DC, only for it to be a HP. 

I called customer service and eventually elevated it to a manager at their Maryland office. I was angry, but played up my frustrations with her and said: "I have cards with Chase, Discover and Wells Fargo as well, I get much better customer service from them!"

The manager  quickly referred my case to the credit investigations unit and I received a letter 10 days later saying that TU, EQ and EX would receive notice that it was a SP instead of an HP.

Call and keep getting escalated until you get to a manager. Keep asking for peoples supervisor.

Message 5 of 25
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

I put my request online and it was a HP. I called to confirm it was supposed to be a soft and the CSR Ttold me to put it in online and that it would be a soft
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cookie2120987 wrote:
I put my request online and it was a HP. I called to confirm it was supposed to be a soft and the CSR Ttold me to put it in online and that it would be a soft

Like I said, call and escalate it. You can get it removed. You just have to get high enough and be angry enough. If it worked for me, it can work for you.

I had my HP CLI changed to an SP and I also got to keep the CLI.

Message 7 of 25
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cookie2120987 wrote:

Like I said, call and escalate it. You can get it removed. You just have to get high enough and be angry enough. If it worked for me, it can work for you.

I just don't understand this. Not trying to provoke a fight, but it was credit seeking behavior (which is what a HP is supposed to show on a CR). Why should Citi or any other creditor remove these when they have an explicit, permissable right? YOU called them, YOU asked for more credit. There are thousands of posts on this website about the inaccuracies of front line CSRs. Most don't know the difference between HP and SP. There are a hundred things I would rather have improved from Citi (when is the new website coming?!?), but if I ask for a CLI, a SP is a bonus and hoped for, but I'm not about to complain all the way to the EO for that. If Citi just randomly HP'ed me, then you'd see me swinging like my Royals are right now against the Angels Smiley Wink

I'm sorry if you or OP view this as an attack. I'm just tired in general of reading posts that have been explicitly answered multiple times in hundreds of threads.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 8 of 25
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cookie2120987 wrote:

that is wendsay I am going to do.  I just couldn't quote JSS3 dive I'm on mobile that I did mine online and got the hp. As stated by someone else above I stated I had never had a online increase be a HP before by any of my other credit cards.  I didn't go in detail about the service of my other cards because that's from what I've seen it doesn't go good in the end

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cookie2120987 wrote:

I just don't understand this. Not trying to provoke a fight, but it was credit seeking behavior (which is what a HP is supposed to show on a CR). Why should Citi or any other creditor remove these when they have an explicit, permissable right? YOU called them, YOU asked for more credit. There are thousands of posts on this website about the inaccuracies of front line CSRs. Most don't know the difference between HP and SP. There are a hundred things I would rather have improved from Citi (when is the new website coming?!?), but if I ask for a CLI, a SP is a bonus and hoped for, but I'm not about to complain all the way to the EO for that. If Citi just randomly HP'ed me, then you'd see me swinging like my Royals are right now against the Angels Smiley Wink

I'm sorry if you or OP view this as an attack. I'm just tired in general of reading posts that have been explicitly answered multiple times in hundreds of threads.

I understand what your saying but the problem here is that the OP was TOLD it would only be a SP. So that alone puts the error on Citi and should be corrected. Just like I was told that checking to confirm a fraud alert was removed would only be a SP by Chase and the individual then did a HP for it which the EO later corrected after reviewing phone records and determining that it should have been a SP. If the OP had simply decided to make a request without this confirmation from Citi then I would agree with you. But that isnt the case here and its worth a try to get it changed to a SP or removed entirely. Good luck OP Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.