Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not renewing a card?

tag
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

Not renewing a card?

What happens when a credit card (in good standing with $0 reporting) expires and the holder doesn't ever renew/activate the new card? 

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: Not renewing a card?

What do you mean by not renewing a credit card? Generally your CCC will send you a new card prior to your expiration date if you still have an active credit line with them.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 2 of 14
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

I guess I mean activating.  When they send you the card you will need to call the sticker to activate it. 

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 3 of 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

It remains open unless/until the issuer shuts it down for inactivity.  Every lender has different criteria for how long they will let an account sit unused before they close it down.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 14
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

It remains open unless/until the issuer shuts it down for inactivity.  Every lender has different criteria for how long they will let an account sit unused before they close it down.

Will having a credit card shut down for inactivity impact a credit score negatively?  Other than the UTIL rate

Message 5 of 14
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

No! It's a good reporting mark that stays for ten years, on your CR's.

If you want to keep them alive, buy a pack of gum every other month.

If you're trying to get away from AF's, then ride the year, and move up.

Message 6 of 14
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

Will having a credit card shut down for inactivity impact a credit score negatively?  Other than the UTIL rate

idk, but won't it say something like "Closed by Credit Granntor"?

Message 7 of 14
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Call the bank and tell them you doesnt want it ..........check your credit report and make sure they dont report it...

i mean i got my wells fargo and turn out didnt want it then after a few months they closed them out and i had to go a long process for Disputed and stuff for a few months but they did deleted it thou......

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If you want the tradeline I would suggest using it sporadically. If you don't, close it.

FICO won't care but there's no good reason to have UW see: "closed by credit grantor" in my opinion. May not matter; however, it might. My thoughts anyway, not confirmed by any evidence.

        
Message 9 of 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@sakhalin070 wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

idk, but won't it say something like "Closed by Credit Granntor"?

So many accounts were shut down by credit grantors during the credit crunch that I don't think much weight is given to this comment.  Especially if the account is clean.  If there's a string of major lates, that's another story, but then again, it's the lates you're worrying about at that point, not the comment.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.