Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not using Sallie Mae if they keep this up

tag
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

Re: Not using Sallie Mae if they keep this up

In case anyone doesn't know, you can notify Barclay of your trips through their app.. I know a lot of people don't like having to do it but the app is a bit more convenient if you need to do it.
QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 11 of 31
Bman70
Established Contributor

That was only your 2nd purchase using the card? Maybe that's what triggered it. I don't think you'll have any difficulty after that initial verification. Great card, I use it on all my gas and plan to when travelling this summer. Although if I go to Finish Line I'll probably use the Cash+. Smiley Happy

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 12 of 31
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@happypill wrote:

I have the Sallie Mae card and haven't had a problem with it.  I travel quite frequently, although I typically use my Venture while traveling.

I'm sure CCCs have sophisticated algorithms for detecting fraud.  For example, people usually buy athletic shoes near their hometown, but maybe rarely buy them while traveling.  People frequently pay for hotels or gas while traveling, so an out-of-town hotel or gas station would probably be more expected.  I'm sure they also track usage patterns.  For example, I dine out a lot when I travel, sometimes restaurants in 2-3 cities thousands of miles apart in a single day.  Not too unusual and never a problem once you have a history established, but for the person who always charges within 50 miles of home, an out-of-state restaurant might trigger something.

When traveling out of state, I ALWAYS put travel notifications online for the cards I am going to use.  Last trip took Amex, Barclays and Chase.  Not a peep from any swipe.  Also, this adds a layer of protection, for those not spoofing IP address, hard to put a fraud charge through out of state if not traveling.  Just my 2 cents.

Signature needs updating
Message 13 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand the inconvenience, but bravo to Sallie Mae (Barclay's) for flagging it, especially if Finish Line is notorious for fraud purchases. I've travelled the past 2 months and each time I contacted the CC the dates and the states I'd be in and didn't  have any problems. If you'd have had a fraudulent purchase at Finish Line and it wasn't you, then you might have issues like trying to get them to wipe out the charge. It happened to someone with another card yesterday with Discover.

Message 14 of 31
jbsea
Established Contributor

This happens a lot with BOA.  I dont travel a lot but whenever I do I always let which ever ccc know that I'm taking with me.  Really not that big of a deal.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 15 of 31
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@hizzaah wrote:
In case anyone doesn't know, you can notify Barclay of your trips through their app.. I know a lot of people don't like having to do it but the app is a bit more convenient if you need to do it.

+1

I always utilize the travel alerts with my accounts. Rather not run into any issues later on.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 16 of 31
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@barbaralee wrote:

I didn't know that about Finish Line...

Yeah, I imagine most people wouldn't know... Finish Line was bad a couple of years ago, and then it died down. I just noticed in the last few months that I am starting to see more of their transactions on affidavits again. 

I find this absolutely fascinating Smiley Happy.

I know specifics aren't appropriate but can you give a general idea of what types of places cards are used fraudulently on a regular basis?  I'm sort of aware of gas stations and online, but are there specific retail types that tend to get hit more than others?  I would not have expected shoes heh.

Many thanks!

        
Message 17 of 31
barbaralee
Established Contributor

We see a lot of fraud from those Starbucks card things, Target still gets it pretty bad (especially for the north eastern state credit unions that we serve),  certain grocery stores use to be horrible, like Safeway and Publix. Right now there has been a lot of international fraud, primarily in Mexico and the Middle East. And of course, there's ALWAYS the infamous gas stations, lol. There's also Steam, XBox, Playstation, etc. 

Where we don't see much fraud is Amazon (though people swear up and down that Prime is fraud... even after they confirmed they signed up for 2 day shipping Smiley Indifferent) Wal-Mart has fraud, but not as bad as other stores, same goes for Best Buy... but it can really fluctuate.

We do have this one fraud that we call the "hotel transactions". They are for various hotels or businesses listed as Hotels and it is always for a small amount, like $3-$5. They NEVER post to the account, but it's not unusual for us to see the hotel transactions followed by a much larger transaction that does go through. 

Fraud trends tend to change quite a bit. What can be a huge place for fraud at one point, can change very quickly. I am interested to see how things go once the new EMV system goes into place. 

Message 18 of 31
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@barbaralee wrote:

We see a lot of fraud from those Starbucks card things, Target still gets it pretty bad (especially for the north eastern state credit unions that we serve),  certain grocery stores use to be horrible, like Safeway and Publix. Right now there has been a lot of international fraud, primarily in Mexico and the Middle East. And of course, there's ALWAYS the infamous gas stations, lol. There's also Steam, XBox, Playstation, etc. 

Where we don't see much fraud is Amazon (though people swear up and down that Prime is fraud... even after they confirmed they signed up for 2 day shipping Smiley Indifferent) Wal-Mart has fraud, but not as bad as other stores, same goes for Best Buy... but it can really fluctuate.

We do have this one fraud that we call the "hotel transactions". They are for various hotels or businesses listed as Hotels and it is always for a small amount, like $3-$5. They NEVER post to the account, but it's not unusual for us to see the hotel transactions followed by a much larger transaction that does go through. 

Fraud trends tend to change quite a bit. What can be a huge place for fraud at one point, can change very quickly. I am interested to see how things go once the new EMV system goes into place. 

Many many thanks!  Yeah I'm curious as to how things go with EMV too, just received two EMV cards in mail (I didn't call my lenders for them) so the consumer side is hitting even those not "paying attention" 

        
Message 19 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

Thanks, interesting info.    I was told (I think by Capital One fraud) of the differences geographically in the first "test" transaction of a stolen credit card.   At that time, several years ago, the claim was that in the US stolen cards are often tested at late-night gas stations in cities (where if the card is rejected, not a big deal, just drive away).  In the UK, the card was tested doing a top-up on an unregistered SIM on an  internet site.   (I had of course just attempted to top up a SIM on a UK site, hence the converstation!)  Wonder if this has changed.

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.