Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not using a card...

tag
Mshellt
New Contributor

Not using a card...

I now have a buckles card, a walmart card, and a capitol express Visa. Between the three of them, my score almost instantly dropped from 669 to 640!! *gasp* These are my first cards so I'm hoping they will help my scores rise over the next year (hopefully faster??) and anyway, I noticed that Buckles sells products that strike me as cheap looking and simultaneously overpriced. I'm really disappointed, but I can't find anything in their store that I actually want. I imagined at least purchasing a cheap excessory once a month to show credit usage, but there isn't anything I want. I forced myself to buy an ugly 10$ headband  that probably wouldn't sell for 3$ at Walgreens just so a purchase and payment would be recorded. But now, I'm wondering if it would do any harm to just ignore the card and let it sit with a zero balance forever?

Starting Score: 630
Current Score:Equifax: 776 TransUnion: 746 Experian: 747

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
MT936
Established Contributor

Re: Not using a card...

It won't do any harm but if you let it sit a couple mind they could cancel it which would then affect your score
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 2 of 14
irrational
Frequent Contributor

Check your cardmember agreement on how long you can go without a purchase before they close the account. I've never heard of one that needed monthly usage, most are a year or more.

So, perhaps you could get away with only buying ugly head bands as Christmas gifts Smiley Very Happy

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 3 of 14
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

You can do that.  Eventually they may close your account due to non-use, but it will still report for 10 years after closure.

I had a GE/Care Credit account that sat unused for 6 years before they closed it.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 4 of 14
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

This is why you only get a card if you are going to use it.  But I agree, Buckle is not my type of store either.

Message 5 of 14
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Not sure if this policy still applies to FICO scoring.

About a year or so ago, Barry from FICO stated in a article about financing and scoring that FICO will not use

any credit card that has had a zero balance for a period of six months or more for scoring purposes.

Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable about scoring can shed some light.

Message 6 of 14
peepers
Frequent Contributor

Interesting. I thought FICO had no "memory" per se
AMEX Green charge NPSL | NFCU Cashrewards Visa Sig $25,000 | NFCU Navcheck $15,000 | AMEX Everyday $15,000 | Discover IT $19,000 | Amex BCP $18,000 | Cap1 Quicksilver $5000 | Firestone $2,400 I Amex Oasis Optima (recovery card) $500 (closed July 2014)
MyFICO: TU 780, EQ 785 EX 776 Discover TU FICO 780. Rebuilt from 500's....closed on home May 2015!

Message 7 of 14
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

I have never been to a buckle.  I just searched for it and it looks like a clothing store.

You can probably buy a pair of socks,  a white tshirt, or a pair of underwears once a year to keep the card active.  Since these are your first cards I would just keep them.

Find out if its every 6 months or 1 year.  i would wait for others to post just to be sure Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Mshellt wrote:

II noticed that Buckles sells products that strike me as cheap looking and simultaneously overpriced. I'm really disappointed, but I can't find anything in their store that I actually want.

Why would you apply for their card then?  Be more carfeul in future.

Message 9 of 14
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

@Mshellt wrote:

I'm really disappointed, but I can't find anything in their store that I actually want.

I never walked inside a buckle but after looking at their site I cant find anything I would ever buy.  It would of been better applying for a Macys, Saks, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus etc..

I heard macys is easy to get.  Or better yet it would be nice to skip store cards and get a credit card.  Maybe capital one since it is easy to get accepted.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.