cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now Amex is offering me their Gold card in the mail -- no way.

tag
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

Now Amex is offering me their Gold card in the mail -- no way.

I don't need anymore cards and anymore cards with annual fees. But I guess in a way that I feel kind of excited or honored that I get their junk mail? Anyone ever feel that way with certain things like credit card applications in the mail?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Now Amex is offering me their Gold card in the mail -- no way.

Yes. Receiving an Amex Gold Card offer in the mail would excite me. Whether I would benefit from the card would require some evaluation due to the AF. But, it is a good feeling!
Message 2 of 9
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

At first I thought it was my Blue card I got approved for, then my mother said it looks like an application and told me not to apply. I told her I'd never apply for AE's charge cards cause they have huge fees on them and that I don't need anymore cards. I wonder if it's because I never responded to their Green card offer LOL.

Message 3 of 9
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@killer_queen229 wrote:

I don't need anymore cards and anymore cards with annual fees. But I guess in a way that I feel kind of excited or honored that I get their junk mail? Anyone ever feel that way with certain things like credit card applications in the mail?

Getting lots of solicitations in the mail is actually a GOOD thing. 

It generally means that the credit card companies are now taking you seriously, and that they want your buisness.

Although you are free to ignore the offers (it's not like you are wasting an opportunity - as they will continue to serenade for your affections), it's nice to know that they now WANT to do business with you, and that you no longer have to grovel for their acceptance.

It's a good position to be in - just resist the temptation to respond to each offer, until the perfect suitor eventually catches your eye.

Message 4 of 9
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

I think it probably is a good thing too, after all I used to only get Credit One and First Premier applications (got one last week, but man has Amex been loving me recently!).

Message 5 of 9
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@killer_queen229 wrote:

I think it probably is a good thing too, after all I used to only get Credit One and First Premier applications (got one last week, but man has Amex been loving me recently!).

I have gotten like two credit card offers in the mail one was an amex the other was merrick bank. I want the junk mail lol idk what I am doing wrong my dw has almost the same score as me the same cards as me and she gets stuff from discover and chase all the time. And no I am not opted out lol. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 6 of 9
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

I have gotten like two credit card offers in the mail one was an amex the other was merrick bank. I want the junk mail lol idk what I am doing wrong my dw has almost the same score as me the same cards as me and she gets stuff from discover and chase all the time. And no I am not opted out lol. 

I know it's sad - but both DH & I opted out a few months ago & now wish we hadn't!  I'd be curious now to see what kind of junk mail would end up in our mailbox, lol.  Just thought about opting back in the other day, but decided against it.  Being on this forum is temptation enough!  Smiley LOL

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 7 of 9
phonic
Contributor

The only promotional material I get from Amex are offers to upgrade my PRG to Platinum about once every other month.

I don't travel enough anymore for it to be worth it.

Citibank on the other hand. My god. I had a regular Citibank Platinum card (recently upgraded to Dividend World) and my wife was an AU. Every week of every month for the past two years, my wife and I would receive AT LEAST 2-3 combined credit card offers. It was rediculous. Litterally every card they had in every color with various rates. We would often joke about who got the best APR or BT offer. Factor in the set of BT checks I received twice a month and I had a forests worth of Citibank paper.

Since upgrading to the DW version, I have only received maybe 1-2/month, so I guess that helped. 

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 8 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Each week, each of the four of us receive one or more offers to join Discover.  From time to time they vary the envelopes which makes me look, then I see the Discover logo on the back.  (They should stop doing that, then I might be fooled into opening it).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.