cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now Most Citicards have EMV Chips!!!!

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Now Most Citicards have EMV Chips!!!!

Yes, it is worth to wait. It is a good looking card. You might want to call them to send the right card because they sent me the card with PayPass. 

Ron.

Message 11 of 17
Ron1
Super Contributor

@amercnchopz34 wrote:

@LesWH wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Sorry. No Amex. They don't have it yet. I think Amex Platinum Cards or the Centurion Cards have EMV chip. You might want to call them to request one.I think it's only for Visa/MC. 

Ron.

Yes it is on the Platinum AMEX.  AMEX is delivering my new Platinum card with it tomorrow.

I am sorry for the dumb question...

what does the EMV chip do for you ??

EMV Chip is good traveling outside US especially in Europe.. It is like PayPass/Express Pay. 

link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV_Chip

Ron.

Message 12 of 17
andre181
Established Contributor

Interesting. The option was available for both my Forward and ThankYou Preferred. I requested both. 

Maybe doing this will cause them to look at my Forward account and convert it to Visa Sig.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 13 of 17
CreditJim
Established Contributor

I've been waiting for this for years as I travel to Europe a lot and always have problems using my US cards. The only problem is, I don't have any Citi cards anymore. What's the easiest Citi card to get?
Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 14 of 17
Ron1
Super Contributor

@breedo wrote:
I've been waiting for this for years as I travel to Europe a lot and always have problems using my US cards. The only problem is, I don't have any Citi cards anymore. What's the easiest Citi card to get?

I think Citi Forward Card is pretty easy.

Ron.

Message 15 of 17
nyancat
Established Contributor

@amercnchopz34 wrote:

@LesWH wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Sorry. No Amex. They don't have it yet. I think Amex Platinum Cards or the Centurion Cards have EMV chip. You might want to call them to request one.I think it's only for Visa/MC. 

Ron.

Yes it is on the Platinum AMEX.  AMEX is delivering my new Platinum card with it tomorrow.

I am sorry for the dumb question...

what does the EMV chip do for you ??

Well, the main reason people request it is because in many countries EMV is the expectation. Unlike one person said, it has no relation to contactless (PayPass/PayWave/ExpressPay/ZIP). A contactless transaction can be EMV (contactless EMV) but can also just be a basic unencrypted copy of track data (same as the magnetic stripe but with an added unique transaction identifier).

Citi cards are terrible to use for travel anyways - Bank of America offers a no fx fee, no fee, EMV card that's a much better choice. Citi charges 3% foreign transaction fee - a huge ripoff. 

So, really, the main thing it does for you is - not much today. A few Walmart's have EMV enabled, but that's it. Come April, many merchants that already have EMV terminals will start enabling them and this benefits you by making fraud much harder. "Skimming" becomes a much more difficult prospect, it is virtually impossible to skim an EMV chip.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 16 of 17
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@LesWH wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

I don't have it on my Amex PR Gold. Smiley Sad

Ron.

PRG has ExpressPay option available but yes no EMV yet. Only Plat and Centurion so far.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.