Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that Zync is gone......

tag
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Now that Zync is gone......

Now that Zync is gone, what is the best way to get your foot in the door with AMEX? I'm not a fan of charge cards, more interested in their revolvers. I really, really, I'm mean really the Costco True Earnings card but I've heard that's not the best card to app for if you are new to the AMEX family. I've heard of folks getting the Delta SkyMiles Gold card and doing a PC later. I'm open to taking that route.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions! Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Now that Zync is gone......

Starwood preferred guest and delta skymiles gold, even the blue....

Good luck!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 34
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

It really depends on what your profile is like. Green would probably be the next easiest card to qualify for, and Delta Gold is the easiest revolver to qualify for by a large margin. SPG on the other hand is one of the hardest.

If you have scores in the 700s, a decent income, AAoA of 2-3+ years, no recent or major derogs, and at least 1-2 cards with moderate-sized TLs (5k or higher), getting an Amex revolver without a charge card isn't too difficult. If your scores are under 700, you might be better off applying for the green first. There are also reports of people getting a Delta gold with ~680 FICO.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 34
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

It really depends on what your profile is like. Green would probably be the next easiest card to qualify for, and Delta Gold is the easiest revolver to qualify for by a large margin. SPG on the other hand is one of the hardest.

If you have scores in the 700s, a decent income, AAoA of 2-3+ years, no recent or major derogs, and at least 1-2 cards with moderate-sized TLs (5k or higher), getting an Amex revolver without a charge card isn't too difficult. If your scores are under 700, you might be better off applying for the green first. There are also reports of people getting a Delta gold with ~680 FICO.

Easier than the blue cards?  Blue, sky and Cash?

Why would this be?  cuz of the AF?

Message 4 of 34
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

+1

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 5 of 34
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I just got the old a couple of weeks ago w/ the scores in my sig and less than 3 yeas AAoA and one 5 year old repo

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 34
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

I got approved for Delta with 675....They told me im border line with toys limit of 1k.......i also apps for the green card on the same day too......

Hope its help

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 7 of 34
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Okay so Amex will approve you for the gold with scores of 650-675 with some negatives.

But they won't approve you if you don't have any revolving credit will they?

The gold can't be that easy.  Can it?  lol!

ETA:  And are we talkin approval with recon or instant approval?  Amex can't be that lax with the gold?  Can they?  lol

Message 8 of 34
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

www.whogavemecredit.com

@ccnewcc wrote:

Okay so Amex will approve you for the gold with scores of 650-675 with some negatives.

But they won't approve you if you don't have any revolving credit will they?

The gold can't be that easy.  Can it?  lol!

They started me out with $2800 CL w/ 650 score.

Then again, I also have a Zync NPSL for close to 6 months, so that may have helped offset the low score and derog

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 9 of 34
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Yeah im sure the zync helped in that case.  But 2800CL with 650 and a repo.  Wow.

Congrats to you!

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.