Did you mean: 

Now that my head is clear..........

tag
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Now that my head is clear..........

@LS2982 wrote:

@namvet wrote:

I would keep them open and quit asking for additional credit.  Take another look at these cards when they have all aged to 1 year. 

Yea, I really should do that. It's just irritating to know they do give CLI's to people with derogs and negative info. but shoot me down constantly. I''ll revisit it in August.

Good choice! 

Message 11 of 26
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@GB44 wrote:

I'm sure it's not a HP. However, it appears something with their system changed in the last week or so. The online CLI request refers you to calling in to make the request.

Yes, and the automated system does a SP to get your CB info. It has to, my reports are frozen.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 26
morganirish
Regular Contributor

FWIW- I have had the JC P card since Aug. 09-  It started at 150.00 and in the beginning I used it at the salon and pif long before the statement.   I can't remember how long before I asked for CLI's only twice since I have had the card though- the first time they bumped me to 1800.00  then I used it pretty heavy for school clothes and household and the second time I asked, right before Christmas I asked again and they bumped me to 3800.00.    I got the walmart card at the same time I got JCP and they started me at 800.  and now it is at 1950.00.   I don't ask for a cli very often from them either.  I also don't use the Walmart card as much as the jcp-  mostly at Christmas.   

Message 13 of 26
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@morganirish wrote:

FWIW- I have had the JC P card since Aug. 09-  It started at 150.00 and in the beginning I used it at the salon and pif long before the statement.   I can't remember how long before I asked for CLI's only twice since I have had the card though- the first time they bumped me to 1800.00  then I used it pretty heavy for school clothes and household and the second time I asked, right before Christmas I asked again and they bumped me to 3800.00.    I got the walmart card at the same time I got JCP and they started me at 800.  and now it is at 1950.00.   I don't ask for a cli very often from them either.  I also don't use the Walmart card as much as the jcp-  mostly at Christmas.   

+100000

LS;

morganirish has a great point.  GE cards grow over TIME, I found out they can't be rushed (I didn't expect to rush them however, I didn't know about the 4th statement cut CLI luv button my first year with them).

I've had my GE Walmart Store and PayPal SC since 2009.  I thought PayPal was never gonna move from 300$, then last fall, it jumped from 300 to 1300 and this month to 2000, prior to that, nothing.  Walmart was a bit different, it gave auto CLI's at first but no CLIs for requests then started granting CLIs.

You're probably feeling frustrated because you've heard (well, read) so much about the 4th statement cut magic. You're forgetting the other main ingredient with them (for most people), time and patients.

With the car loan late being within the last 24 months it explains a bit. Esp on top of the cards not being over 12 months old.  Unless GE has changed things since their little name change, I still think all of your GE cards are going to treat you to some CLIs later this year. ESP after that late hit's the 25 month mark (didn't know about that before).

They have no AFs, they do nothing negative for you other than frustrate you (because you let them Smiley Wink), and you got them for a reason (to watch them grow). Give them time to grow before you till them under Smiley LOL  Remember, you just got to shred FP, compare GE to FP and  you'll see you picked the right plastic to feed the shredder. 

Kohls and Target, now those I wouldn't be claiming they'd eventually jump. I never got Target's Red Card (only heard lol) but I have Kohls (for 3 years and 2 backers) and never expect them to go up from $300, but I keep it anyway (no expectations makes that easy lol).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

from boiling over with the lack of customer service from everyone I talked to yesterday!!! Smiley Mad

I can ask my fellow myFICO'ers about my lingering problem: GE accounts.

Yea, I know i've talked about it alot but yesterday just drove me to the edge of closing all of my accounts with them.

Here's what I have:

JCP $150CL Opened 7/2011 Never late $0Bal (CLI asked for 5 times declined all)

Old Navy $300CL Opened 7/2011 Never late $0Bal (CLI asked for 5 times declined all)

Walmart  $600CL Opened 11/2011 Never late $489 (just made this debt this week)

CareCredit $500CL Opened 11/2011 Never late $0Bal

I get the decline letter for JCP and 2 of the 4 reasons involve a 30 day late from my PIF auto loan that is 1 1/2 years old. Really?? I have since that late been perfect with my credit.

The other 2 are revolving/retail accounts open too recently. (I can relate to this one)

So am I over-reacting with this and should garden the accounts further?? I think i'm taking it too fast with Walmart but JCP is on my last nerve!!!

CareCredit I'm not concerned about, i'll garden that and try later for CLI.

How would you all handle these accounts?? I don't want to close because theyre $0AF accounts and nothing but positive info can be reported, But at the same time these toy limits are holding me back from real limits.

With all due respect, LS2982, I really don't think you have a "problem" with these GE accounts at all. And that's a *good* thing! Smiley Happy

In the rebuilding phase, it's sooo very hard to be patient-- I know. I've been there. Especially as our scores improve, we unequivocally equate that with "more credit" or "better offers", and "instantaneously." Unfortunately, it doesn't always ('rarely' would be a more apt word) work that way.  And, here in the CC forum, where we read about app after app, and product after product... and even credit line after credit line, it gives us a skewed sense of what lenders are really trending towards, and most unfortunately, what our individual level of creditworthiness may be for any product & corresponding credit line, user experience. In other words, equal credit scores do NOT equate to equal credit profiles, equal finances, equal demographics, or any other driver that a lender uses to measure risk, and extend credit. What I'm saying is that it's difficult to truly compare our own situation to that of others.

So, what you have is four credit products, with one lender, all opened less than a year ago. <-- That's a lot of brand new eggs in one basket. You've already noted that you don't use the JCP card. The card is *only* 7 months old, and you've asked for a CLI 5 times. In the best scenario, with a GE card, I think you can only hope to get a CLI once after every 4th statement... And, that's probably showing some usage. At worst, you've only missed out on ONE CLI opportunity. The same goes for Old Navy, with regard to CLI eligibility. And, I think that *IF* these are cards that fit your user profile (meaning, that you shop at these places), that you can remedy that... over time.

You've app'd for a lot of new credit in the past 12 months. You've got a lot of new credit. You've still got a recent baddie (the late). You also noted that your debt-to-income is high, in another thread. Fair/unfair/indifferent, those are "risky" triggers for almost every lender. BUT, these are things that can, and will be overcome. Time is your friend here... it will heal these wounds if you let it.

You've been around long enough that you know the preparations for the credit elixir. 1) Pay on time. You've got a recent blemish, so continuing to pay on time, and letting time (and/or goodwill!) take care of that blemish will soften, and eventually eradicate the risk. 2) If you want credit, you have to use credit. Honestly, lack of use does not inspire lenders to grant you more credit, in most scenarios. 3) Stop applying for new credit. Committ yourself to the garden in both word & spirit. Stop worrying about how high/low your current credit lines are... for now. Focus on the things that you can control, that won't worsen your position. You can GW that baddie. You can pay down debt. You can build cash. And, I'm not assuming that you aren't or haven't done these things already-- I'm just highlighting that there are other things that can be focused on while gardening.... especially if we need time behind us.

You've already opened the cards, and taken the hit for them. They aren't costing you a dime, and they're *store cards*. The credit lines aren't going to hold you back from getting better/higher credit lines on prime Visa/MC/Amex/Discover products. On the other hand, IF you only openend some/any of them in an app frenzy, and they're truly of no use to you... well... they're less than a year old, so you'll be okay. Just don't go on another app spree, expecting different results.

That's my $.02 for whatever it's worth. These accounts are too young for you to be flustered with their lack of growth. Close them IF they're of absolutey no use to you (e.g. you don't shop there), but don't let it be because of the credit line. They're still new cards. You've not yet demonstrated the need for additional credit.

Much luck to you!

Message 15 of 26
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Great post, LilMirth!!

I didn't look at the account ages.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 26
RyVision
Valued Contributor

I have to agree with LilMirth even though it's a reality check (for all of us)

About the worst part of these forums is we all get to read about the great approvals, the  high scores, the high CL and huge CLIs and how fast they all seem to have come about. When I first got a card in 1985 I think, I had nothing like these forums to look at to skew my reality (nor did I have it for the advice to not close all my accounts LOL).

I know it (reading these forums) gives a false sense of what to expect.  I suffer from it myself and it's hard to remember  the reality of time and the role it really plays (ok, it sucks lol).

I think this is where the "garden" metaphor really works for credit.  I mentioned to a much younger person in another thread, the idea of planting a seedling in a spot in the garden near an old oak with 814 all over it.  The reason those "old oaks" are impressive is that they're old and established after being well cared for.  We never hear about big sturdy oaks that just popped up over the course of a year or so lol.

I had an old sturdy oak years ago (without knowing it) and "cut it down" (closed my accounts) because it was too much work (I was busy, didn't need to use credit and online handling really wasn't at all in vogue back then, it was all this paper mail, check writing, book keeping etc etc on top of what I already had to deal with).

ONE part of that old oak survived without me knowing it. That was American Express....   Had it not been for that holding one of my past oldest account dates, and giving me a boost on AAoA when I got them back, I'd have no proof of my length of history. And it really made a difference.  I am so glad I took that offer when it came from them, I had no idea back then how valuable it would turn out to be (the gift of time).

That's one of the things that helps remind me how all of this credit stuff can't be rushed, whenever I feel I should apply for something, I look at my AMEX card with "Member since 89" printed on it and remember the hard work, time and patients those big old scores take, it's not the fact it's on an AMEX, it's the years I've handled credit.  It really helps me accept that I have to wait for CLIs and applying for another card that I'd really like (bonus or more back dating tempting as they may be).

My personal joke about time and scores is "like sands through the hour glass, these are the points to a CS and they pass one grain at a time"  lol and yeah, it sucks Smiley LOL

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 17 of 26
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

from boiling over with the lack of customer service from everyone I talked to yesterday!!! Smiley Mad

Yea, I know i've talked about it alot but yesterday just drove me to the edge of closing all of my accounts with them.

Here's what I have:

Old Navy $300CL Opened 7/2011 Never late $0Bal (CLI asked for 5 times declined all)

I get the decline letter for JCP and 2 of the 4 reasons involve a 30 day late from my PIF auto loan that is 1 1/2 years old. Really?? I have since that late been perfect with my credit.

The other 2 are revolving/retail accounts open too recently. (I can relate to this one)

So am I over-reacting with this and should garden the accounts further?? I think i'm taking it too fast with Walmart but JCP is on my last nerve!!!

How would you all handle these accounts?? I don't want to close because theyre $0AF accounts and nothing but positive info can be reported, But at the same time these toy limits are holding me back from real limits.

With all due respect, LS2982, I really don't think you have a "problem" with these GE accounts at all. And that's a *good* thing! Smiley Happy

In the rebuilding phase, it's sooo very hard to be patient-- I know. I've been there. Especially as our scores improve, we unequivocally equate that with "more credit" or "better offers", and "instantaneously." Unfortunately, it doesn't always ('rarely' would be a more apt word) work that way.  And, here in the CC forum, where we read about app after app, and product after product... and even credit line after credit line, it gives us a skewed sense of what lenders are really trending towards, and most unfortunately, what our individual level of creditworthiness may be for any product & corresponding credit line, user experience. In other words, equal credit scores do NOT equate to equal credit profiles, equal finances, equal demographics, or any other driver that a lender uses to measure risk, and extend credit. What I'm saying is that it's difficult to truly compare our own situation to that of others.

So, what you have is four credit products, with one lender, all opened less than a year ago. <-- That's a lot of brand new eggs in one basket. You've already noted that you don't use the JCP card. The card is *only* 7 months old, and you've asked for a CLI 5 times. In the best scenario, with a GE card, I think you can only hope to get a CLI once after every 4th statement... And, that's probably showing some usage. At worst, you've only missed out on ONE CLI opportunity. The same goes for Old Navy, with regard to CLI eligibility. And, I think that *IF* these are cards that fit your user profile (meaning, that you shop at these places), that you can remedy that... over time.

You've app'd for a lot of new credit in the past 12 months. You've got a lot of new credit. You've still got a recent baddie (the late). You also noted that your debt-to-income is high, in another thread. Fair/unfair/indifferent, those are "risky" triggers for almost every lender. BUT, these are things that can, and will be overcome. Time is your friend here... it will heal these wounds if you let it.

You've been around long enough that you know the preparations for the credit elixir. 1) Pay on time. You've got a recent blemish, so continuing to pay on time, and letting time (and/or goodwill!) take care of that blemish will soften, and eventually eradicate the risk. 2) If you want credit, you have to use credit. Honestly, lack of use does not inspire lenders to grant you more credit, in most scenarios. 3) Stop applying for new credit. Committ yourself to the garden in both word & spirit. Stop worrying about how high/low your current credit lines are... for now. Focus on the things that you can control, that won't worsen your position. You can GW that baddie. You can pay down debt. You can build cash. And, I'm not assuming that you aren't or haven't done these things already-- I'm just highlighting that there are other things that can be focused on while gardening.... especially if we need time behind us.

You've already opened the cards, and taken the hit for them. They aren't costing you a dime, and they're *store cards*. The credit lines aren't going to hold you back from getting better/higher credit lines on prime Visa/MC/Amex/Discover products. On the other hand, IF you only openend some/any of them in an app frenzy, and they're truly of no use to you... well... they're less than a year old, so you'll be okay. Just don't go on another app spree, expecting different results.

That's my $.02 for whatever it's worth. These accounts are too young for you to be flustered with their lack of growth. Close them IF they're of absolutey no use to you (e.g. you don't shop there), but don't let it be because of the credit line. They're still new cards. You've not yet demonstrated the need for additional credit.

Much luck to you!

That's worth a lot more than $.02, IMO. Great post!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 18 of 26
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@RyVision wrote:

I have to agree with LilMirth even though it's a reality check (for all of us)

About the worst part of these forums is we all get to read about the great approvals, the  high scores, the high CL and huge CLIs and how fast they all seem to have come about. When I first got a card in 1985 I think, I had nothing like these forums to look at to skew my reality (nor did I have it for the advice to not close all my accounts LOL).

I know it (reading these forums) gives a false sense of what to expect.  I suffer from it myself and it's hard to remember  the reality of time and the role it really plays (ok, it sucks lol).

I think this is where the "garden" metaphor really works for credit.  I mentioned to a much younger person in another thread, the idea of planting a seedling in a spot in the garden near an old oak with 814 all over it.  The reason those "old oaks" are impressive is that they're old and established after being well cared for.  We never hear about big sturdy oaks that just popped up over the course of a year or so lol.

I had an old sturdy oak years ago (without knowing it) and "cut it down" (closed my accounts) because it was too much work (I was busy, didn't need to use credit and online handling really wasn't at all in vogue back then, it was all this paper mail, check writing, book keeping etc etc on top of what I already had to deal with).

ONE part of that old oak survived without me knowing it. That was American Express....   Had it not been for that holding one of my past oldest account dates, and giving me a boost on AAoA when I got them back, I'd have no proof of my length of history. And it really made a difference.  I am so glad I took that offer when it came from them, I had no idea back then how valuable it would turn out to be (the gift of time).

That's one of the things that helps remind me how all of this credit stuff can't be rushed, whenever I feel I should apply for something, I look at my AMEX card with "Member since 89" printed on it and remember the hard work, time and patients those big old scores take, it's not the fact it's on an AMEX, it's the years I've handled credit.  It really helps me accept that I have to wait for CLIs and applying for another card that I'd really like (bonus or more back dating tempting as they may be).

My personal joke about time and scores is "like sands through the hour glass, these are the points to a CS and they pass one grain at a time"  lol and yeah, it sucks Smiley LOL

And a round of applause to this post, as well. Great perspective!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 19 of 26
namvet
Established Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

Here's what I have:

Much luck to you!

That's worth a lot more than $.02, IMO. Great post!

I agree, that was a very informative post.  Great advice on building credit. 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.