cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCCU Duck and Beaver cards compromised. Keep an eye on your accounts....

tag
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Re: OCCU Duck and Beaver cards compromised. Keep an eye on your accounts....

As a previous poster pointed out, they removed the apply button. How exactly do you breach data on cards that haven't even been created? 

How do you breach data on cards that weren't activated? I activated mine (got it on the 27th) and used it at walmart 20 mins later and it was declined. 

As a previous pointer pointed out, the credit union THEMSELVES ordered the freeze, not card services.

All this points towards an internal issue. 

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 141 of 564
sagehet
Established Member

fixmycredit keep in mind though the application site was owned by OCCU, the "manage your card" site was a cardservices address...which is used by many banks and credit unions and is a 3rd party.

It would appear to me that the potential breach could only be in a few locations....

1.  in the issuance or printing  of the cards and someone was stealing numbers or on the site itself.  The site being down now for applications may back that up but it may also just mean they're done taking apps online/slow the pipeline/changing the terms and needed to put the brakes on it immediately.  

2.  At the cu itself as information was sent over but again they don't manage the cards it is handled by card services a 3rd party.

Returning the codes they are returning indicates to a merchant that the card may be suspicious.  As Fixmycredit said I cannot see any way they are able to lock a card...do a review and determin that number was magically not effected, and then unlock it.  Every other card account I have knew within hours of the Target information coming out whether it'd been effected and I was immeditely told new cards were coming.

Here's all I can figure that makes sense.  I don't think this is a well has run dry deal.  They may tighten standards because of what is going on with the breaches but that's another issue.  I wonder if we're seeing round 1 of the retailer breaches hitting.  IE, people are applying for credit with the information obtained during the breach and this CU caught a few cases of it and are now doing their due diligience and just making sure they're not mailing cards to people that just changed addresses in the last month, etc, etc.

IMO that is perfectly acceptable and would fall within the confines of "potential breach" but they could be a little more descriptive and say we're reviewing accounts in light of the breaches for authenticity, for your protection and for ours.

Message 142 of 564
waiter
Regular Contributor

Sagehet you maybe right, i agree

How many ppl's card were closed?  And do these ppl had average to below average credit?? OR have perfect 720+ credit???

Only 20% i think its some kind of breach. and 80% i think they are re-calculating the risk exposure. and alots of accounts will be closed or CLD the accounts in near future.

We all know the amount they gave out * just for Duck/Beaver* credit card is unbelieveable , given the CU size. They also have the third credit card, which i dont know the name of, is only for their members, who can apply for it. Imagine how those accounts compare to duck and beaver accounts. 

WE all were amazed to see these many approvals. and huge limits. And we all knew , something like this is about to happen. It took them little longer to get to it.

And I think, they are confused themselves how to approach and correct all this. I dont think they have recources like Major bank or big CU, like Chase, citi, DCU, NFCU etc.

I have not gotten any communications from them regarding anything. I called but had to hang up after loooong wait. My account online shows just normal, yet my geico charge was declined with ** caution account ** notation. I think getting your scissors out for duck/beaver cards wont be bad idea.

lastly, I really hope i am wrong.

Message 143 of 564
sagehet
Established Member

Waiter it seems like a perfectly valid reason to believe fraud had it your account...all crooks use bad cards to pay for traceable auto insurance....LOL.

We will see where this goes, but it's certainly suspect.  I only see people having a cause for action if we're all being lied to and they're flagging embarassing transactions as potential fraud under the guise of account reviews.

Message 144 of 564
maurita
Valued Member

Well both of my cards are not working. I have also called and am getting similar responses.  Basically no info....

I have the Duck Card and the Beaver Card

I applied for the Duck Card in October 2013 with a score of 819 (EQ) , CL $15,000

Applied for the Beaver Card in November 2013 with a score of 797 (EQ), CL $15,000

I have since sent in multiple payments for each of the cards. On time and at least $1000 payment on each card, for every payment. My utilization on these two cards is at 10%. I subscribe to a monthly monitoring service, I haven't received any alerts concerning fraud.

My cards were closed down last week without any notice. I was paying for my groceries when I was told the transaction was declined and to contact the Bank.

This just seems very unprofessional in the manner they have chosen to deal with us. No answers

I can say at the least I am upset at this CU and am disappointed that I wasted 2 inquires on them.

Starting Score: 540
Current Score: EX 770 EQ 775 TU 794
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 145 of 564
maurita
Valued Member

Oh and the representative did mention that they would contact me if they would decide to close my accounts. I questioned her about why they would have to with my profile and she said oh I'm just saying IF they would have to close the accounts. As ridiculous as it sounds I have a feeling they are going to close both accounts. Especially considering how hard I have worked on my credit. I feel disgusted in myself that I wasted 2 inquires on this CU. I think OCCU didn't realize the extent of credit they were handing out in just a short period of time and maybe with the close of the year and the tally of all their financial info realized that they had overextended entirely too much credit. The Target Breach just gave them a viable excuse to bring everything to a screeching hault and to  review everyone's account.

Message 146 of 564
Lemondrops63
Valued Member

Wow! All of this has left a bad taste in my mouth. Maurita good luck

Message 147 of 564
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

I called again tonight.

"due to unforeseen circumstances, we are unable to take your call".

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 148 of 564
maurita
Valued Member

Thank you, Lemondrops. Something tells me we could ALL use some good luck getting some answers...

Message 149 of 564
camaross
Established Member

Lol just tried calling and now it's says due to unforeseen circumstances they can't take the call! **bleep**!! I give up on the duck card. This is so unprofessional
Message 150 of 564
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.