Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OFFICIAL "I'm proud of myself" Thread

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

OFFICIAL "I'm proud of myself" Thread

I think all of us should use this thread to let our FICO family know when we beat the urge inside us to app for a new CC!!! Smiley Very Happy

I was at Best Buy today just inquiring about their store card. Both of the reps there were grilling me to app for it tonight, I started asking specific questions as:

"Will inqueries kill my chances of getting it as my EQ CR will show 12" - Their Reply: "Wait a month and apply, they dont count inqueries after a month" Smiley Surprised

they were saying HSBC is difficult to get a pattern on which i dont disagree, but i knew i needed to rebuiid my score and RESISTED!!!! Smiley HappyI made a promise to myelf I will not app for this card until 11/24 (6 months of good marks) and hopefully ill get it!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
aftermath
Established Contributor

Re: OFFICIAL "I'm proud of myself" Thread

Never EVER listen to Best Buy store employees when it comes to credit.

Everyone has a specialty in their field.  I trust their information and knowledge when it comes to electronics, but not credit.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 2 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@aftermath wrote:

Everyone has a specialty in their field.  I trust their information and knowledge when it comes to electronics, but not credit.

I would have left it at never ever listen to Best Buy store employees.  I find they don't know that much about electronics either.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
MAstudent07
Contributor

I like this thread, because I can relate to your feeling of accomplishment. This afternoon, I had the sudden urge to apply for an American Express card. I was browsing at their website and realized that it was a bad choice. I have too many inquiries on EX credit report and applying for an Amex would only make it worse. I decided to close the browser and water the lawn instead. Smiley Very Happy

Congrats on holding back. I believe listening to our voice will allow us to make wise decisions.

Amex BCE| BOA CB| Freedom| Citi DC| Discover It|
Message 4 of 10
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

@aftermath wrote:

I wouldn't trust their information and knowledge when it comes to electronics either. Smiley Wink

A few times I almost ran out of one of their aisles laughing after overhearing the baloney their employees were feeding to their customers.... That's not to say that there aren't any knowledgeable Best Buy employees. I'm pretty sure there are,  it's just my crazy luck that oftentimes I happen to be in an aisle next to the ones talking nonsense to customers.lol

Message 5 of 10
aftermath
Established Contributor

Alright, enough Best Buy bashing for now.  I'll add one to the "I'm proud of myself" list.

This morning I was contemplating on applying for a Citi AAdvantage Visa because I don't have a Citi card yet and the signup bonus was very tempting.

I filled out the application and was about to hit submit, told myself I shouldn't then closed my browser, opened it up again, filled out the application was about to hit submit but told myself I shouldn't then closed it, opened it up again, moved my cursor to the submit button, a coworker distracted me and I accidently clicked it.

Approved $7500! Smiley Very Happy

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 6 of 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:  I would have left it at never ever listen to Best Buy store employees.  I find they don't know that much about electronics either.

Way to go, Walt_K! 

+1

Edited, because when I read it the way I posted it, it came off as confrontational, which was not my intention.  Apologies to anyone offended.

Message 7 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

@aftermath wrote:

I don't trust anything those cellphone bill paying kids say. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with DI here.

I think Best Buy "tries" sometimes, but they do leave a lot to be desired as realted to knowledge and the sales force.

Once time, I had an employee that was sure proud to tell me about his "Cisco Network Certification". But a few "pointed" questions told me he only really had "paper" knowledge. But to give him credit, he did try!

Ray

Message 9 of 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

@FicoScore626 wrote:

@aftermath wrote:

I wouldn't trust their information and knowledge when it comes to electronics either. Smiley Wink

A few times I almost ran out of one of their aisles laughing after overhearing the baloney their employees were feeding to their customers.... That's not to say that there aren't any knowledgeable Best Buy employees. I'm pretty sure there are,  it's just my crazy luck that oftentimes I happen to be in an aisle next to the ones talking nonsense to customers.lol

BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  i was so going to post this!  sometimes the things they say are simply hilarious!

honestly, i want to apply for better cards all the time.......it's tough to keep those impulses in check!    so far i have resisted applying for a citi card.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.