cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OH MY GAWD! AMEX F/R ON DAY OF ACTIVATION!

tag
aftermath
Established Contributor

OH MY GAWD! AMEX F/R ON DAY OF ACTIVATION!

So I received my AMEX Delta Skymiles in the mail yesterday and decided to phone in the activation.

After speaking with the nice CSR, I inquired about a credit line increase, she told me I would have to call the number on the back of my card, so I did.

I asked if they would allow me to request CLI even though I just received the card, the lady said no problem! I was THRILLED!

So she asked how much I was requesting, and after reading the 3x the limit posts today, I went ahead and used the formula stated in the posts:

($4500 credit line) x (3) = ($13,500) - ($500 to be on the safe side) = $13,000 total credit line request.

She took down the info and told me that the information has been submitted to our processing department.

Now I found this strange because most of those who request CLI either get an instant approval or instantly get shot down.

Either way, I didn't think much of it, and she told me they would be in touch shortly.

So I was excited to start using my card and as soon as I got off the phone, I drove to my nearby gas station to fill up my car. *DECLINED* hmm... that's strange *DECLINED* hmm... maybe one more time *DECLINED*

So I immediately call the number on the back of my card and ask what the problem is... they told me my account was flagged for FR and blah blah blah tax forms permission blah blah blah.

Lesson of the day... don't ask for 3x CLI on day of activation.

I can't believe this.... shoot me!

Message Edited by aftermath on 05-19-2008 09:02 PM
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
NEEDCREDITADVISE
New Contributor

Re: OH MY GAWD! AMEX F/R ON DAY OF ACTIVATION!

Wow, interesting story what cr did amex pull ?
Thanks for everyone's input..........
Message 2 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

well the good news is if you can prove your income, they might give you your cli!
Message 3 of 17
aftermath
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
well the good news is if you can prove your income, they might give you your cli!

And the bad news? Smiley Sad
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Message 4 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

amex is always ex
Message 5 of 17
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@aftermath wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

You got a souvenir.
Message 6 of 17
aftermath
Established Contributor

@smallfry wrote:

@aftermath wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

You got a souvenir.

Yipee! Oh the fond memories I've had with my Amex Smiley Happy

R.I.P. Amex (5/17/2008 - 5/19/2008)

Message Edited by aftermath on 05-19-2008 09:12 PM
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Message 7 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

you don't prove and they close the account for good.
most here have gone through the fr with no issues though. I'm sure in the morning when people are awake they will tell you to not stress to much unless the documents are a problem
Message 8 of 17
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
most here have gone through the fr with no issues though. I'm sure in the morning when people are awake they will tell you to not stress to much unless the documents are a problem

You can support the income provided you should be fine. In the old days going for a triple on CLI wouldn't be much of a problem but now its risky. Good luck.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

You can support the income provided you should be fine. In the old days going for a triple on CLI wouldn't be much of a problem but now its risky. Good luck.

I've not been FR'd, but agree that so long as what you stated is true, you should be fine. 

That 3 x your initial CL for an CLI -- I was told specifically that applied after the card was opened for 60 days (or more, I suppose).   I have absolutely no clue what their rules are about CLI's on activation... Though sounds like we may have just found out!

Good luck, and don't do the R.I.P. yet!  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Soviyana on 05-19-2008 11:04 PM
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.