cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK - Walrmart - I think I'm about to burst into tears..........

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK - Walrmart - I think I'm about to burst into tears..........

Since joining and beginning my credit journey, I have been awesome about reading and researching everything from utilization, carrying balances, which cards to apply for, SCTs, which to PIF.  You name it.  I got it.  With Walmart, I learned the hard way that they process all of their payments in the wee hours of the morning unlike most other CC companies, who mostly processed their payments mid-day and some times evenings.  My 2nd payment did not clear my bank.  I still don't know what happened but of course, I made my payment immediately.  

Fast forward to last month.  I literally was entering upcoming payments for the month and for some reason, I entered in an incorrect date.  When checking my balances/spreadsheets (yes, I'm anal like that.... I have two spreadsheets in Dropbox that I'm addicted to and have to look at them each day...)something was off and sure enough -- Walmart.  I paid the bill immediately and called THEM to let them know it was an error.  

Today, I checked my balance saw the message that my account was closed for two returned payments.  These are not NSF but returned auto-draft payments.  Same account is being used and with all of my other Synchony accounts, same account.  I called to see if I could have it reopened......NOPE.  I'm so upset and  more embarrased again that this happened to me.  I want to re-apply for another card as my credit score is almost 150 more than what it was when I received the card iniially but again, I am so embarrased.  Smiley Sad

Can anyone offer me any advice?  I literally want to pack up my work and go home for the day or even better, go home and open up a bottle of wine to drown my sorrows. What are my chances of being able to apply for another card.  Should I right away before it reports?  What should my next moves be, besides going home to get plastered?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: OK - Walrmart - I think I'm about to burst into tears..........

I know this feels devastating, but I promise, it is just a credit card and this will just be irksome memory at a later point in your journey. 

If you're out of luck on re-opening the card, I'd just focus on the reporting now. What caused the error? You said it wasn't NSF so what kind of error was it? 

If there is no fault on your end, I'd be escalating to supervisors with Sync. Just make sure that account doesn't report with derogatory information.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noxqs, 

I wasn't NSF but my drafts hiting my accounts on different days than what I entered the payments for.  The last payment, I had the draft entered in for the incorrect day versus a day after payday....needless to say, it is my fault. 

I totally appreciate your kinds words and I agree, I'll look back at this and laugh someday.  I will be keeping a close eye on my report and will monitor how it reports as I never made any payments late at all.  Time will tell.

Message 3 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Since joining and beginning my credit journey, I have been awesome about reading and researching everything from utilization, carrying balances, which cards to apply for, SCTs, which to PIF.  You name it.  I got it.  With Walmart, I learned the hard way that they process all of their payments in the wee hours of the morning unlike most other CC companies, who mostly processed their payments mid-day and some times evenings.  My 2nd payment did not clear my bank.  I still don't know what happened but of course, I made my payment immediately.  

Fast forward to last month.  I literally was entering upcoming payments for the month and for some reason, I entered in an incorrect date.  When checking my balances/spreadsheets (yes, I'm anal like that.... I have two spreadsheets in Dropbox that I'm addicted to and have to look at them each day...)something was off and sure enough -- Walmart.  I paid the bill immediately and called THEM to let them know it was an error.  

Today, I checked my balance saw the message that my account was closed for two returned payments.  These are not NSF but returned auto-draft payments.  Same account is being used and with all of my other Synchony accounts, same account.  I called to see if I could have it reopened......NOPE.  I'm so upset and  more embarrased again that this happened to me.  I want to re-apply for another card as my credit score is almost 150 more than what it was when I received the card iniially but again, I am so embarrased.  Smiley Sad

Can anyone offer me any advice?  I literally want to pack up my work and go home for the day or even better, go home and open up a bottle of wine to drown my sorrows. What are my chances of being able to apply for another card.  Should I right away before it reports?  What should my next moves be, besides going home to get plastered?

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you.  Smiley Sad

Unfortunately it's one of the possible 'pitfalls' of using an online 'pull' ACH payment (i.e. paying through their website).  There have been other threads where someone would fat-finger their account number and a payment would "bounce" (I realize there's no check involved, but it's still considered a returned payment, the same as a 'bounced' check).  After two of these (for any reason) Synchrony is known to close the account (in other words, for what it's worth they aren't singling you out - it's normal for them).

OK, the good news is you (hopefully) know what caused the problem and can prevent it from happening again (to any of your accounts).  As for getting the account back, I know with some Synchrony accounts there used to be a 'waiting period' that they required between closing an account and opening that same brand account again.  There might be a silver-lining around the cloud, though... I don't think Wal-Mart is one of these - I say this because I know folks have closed their Wal-Mart card and immediately applied again in the hopes of getting the MasterCard version (sometimes it works, sometimes they end up with another store card). 

You might use this to work in your favor.  As long as the account is now PIF (it is, I hope?) you can apply again and possibly even get the MasterCard version.  It's worth a shot, anyway.  I'm especially encouraged since you mention your score has received a significant boost lately... that can only help!

Again, I'm sorry this has happened, and I hope it works out for you.  Be sure to let us know how it goes if you decide to try again!  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this happened, kimabe. ((big hug))). We're all here to support you and we understand. Smiley Happy

It won't hinder you from getting other cards going forward. You will be ok but it is definitely ok to be upset. Going forward, check your accounts 1-2 days after the payment to be sure it has gone through. It also helps to pay 10 days before the payment is due so you have plenty of time to correct it if something goes wrong.

I pay my payments manually, and I have all payment due dates set up for the same day. Then I go back in the next day or 2 days later and check each one to ensure it has cleared and the payment has registered.

I make all of my payments for the upcoming month the day after each prior statement cuts, so that helps allow lots of time to ensure things run smoothly.

Everyone has something different that works for them, this may work for you.

You're not a bad person because this happened. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Man,  you guys are all so  awesome. I didn't even know about the waiting period.   I feel better.  The account is not paid in full but next week, it will be.  I definitely will be applying again as I literally live next door to a Sam's Club and work around the corner from a Neighborhood Walmart.  Thanks for everyone's input and take on this.  With the exception of my Capital One accounts ( I do not even begin to play with those accounts), I have payments pre-empted to as far ahead as August (Told you guys that I was anal...) I think I will change that and start migrating to making my payments manually.  -- good advice!!

Thanks again everyone.

Message 6 of 16
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Hey there, very sorry to hear about your Walmart card. I know your feeling low about the situation which is understandable, but don't dwell on it, it's a temporary bump in the road. I'd appeal to synchrony through the different levels and see if anything can be done, but realistically it's closed and likely will remain so. You can always reapply in the future, sync is very forgiving and as long as you maintain your other accounts positively you should be fine. You made a mistake congratulations your a human being, don't beat yourself up over it, your in very good company, we all make mistakes.
Message 7 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Man,  you guys are all so  awesome. I didn't even know about the waiting period.   I feel better.  The account is not paid in full but next week, it will be.  I definitely will be applying again as I literally live next door to a Sam's Club and work around the corner from a Neighborhood Walmart.  Thanks for everyone's input and take on this.  With the exception of my Capital One accounts ( I do not even begin to play with those accounts), I have payments pre-empted to as far ahead as August (Told you guys that I was anal...) I think I will change that and start migrating to making my payments manually.  -- good advice!!

Thanks again everyone.

I'm thinking the waiting period is a non-issue with Wal-Mart, but I would be derelict in my duties (LOL) if I didn't at least mention the Sam's Club MasterCard (since you mention you're next door to a Sam's Club).  It's actually my 'daily' card, and with 5% cash back on gas and 3% on restaurants and anything travel it's really hard to beat.  Smiley Very Happy

Of course this might not be a fit for your spending patterns, but if you happen to have a membership anyway it's a really good card to at least consider, and would be quite the upgrade from the card that was closed.

Again, hang in there and good luck no matter what you decide!  Smiley Wink

Edit:  can't spell today

Message 8 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Noxqs, 

I wasn't NSF but my drafts hiting my accounts on different days than what I entered the payments for.  The last payment, I had the draft entered in for the incorrect day versus a day after payday....needless to say, it is my fault. 

Can you explain this in a little more detail.  I don't understand why the drafts were returned (assuming the funds were in there).   If it's not a NSF or a late pay (and it sounds like you paid immediately you realized the error) there should be nothing bad (closed by lender but that's OK)

Message 9 of 16
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Noxqs, 

Can you explain this in a little more detail.  I don't understand why the drafts were returned (assuming the funds were in there).   If it's not a NSF or a late pay (and it sounds like you paid immediately you realized the error) there should be nothing bad (closed by lender but that's OK)

What I'm guess is that the OP anticipated more float time.   For example, you might "pay" on the 20th and expect funds to be collected on the 21st.  However, some products will actually draft on your requested day.   

OP, we've all made credit mistakes (it's why many of us came to the Forums in the first place!), so just treat it as a learning opportunity.   You learned more about their process and you can make sure to take a different action in the future.   Sync can be very forgiving, so not all hope is lost.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.