Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK to put car down payment on CC?

tag
electra
Established Contributor

OK to put car down payment on CC?

Should be getting my new car in about a week.  Was wondering if it's ok to run the down payment on my CC (NFCU Cash rewards)?  I would pay it off immediately but I figured that would be a great way to get some cash back.  Is this a no-no? Navy has been very good to me and don't want to do anything that would piss them off.  

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: OK to put car down payment on CC?

Where are you getting your auto loan from? Most lenders will not let you pay a loan using a credit card. You can bypass this by using services such as charge smart, but the fees are really high.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 31
Boonie
Frequent Contributor

In February, I bought a used car and paid $2,500 on a credit card, the rest in cash.  I paid off the credit card within 30 days.  The dealership I worked with had a $2,500 limit for car purchases with a credit card.  You may want to ask the dealership you are working with on what they can accept.

04/10/17 - FICO 8s - EX 769, EQ 710, TU 724
Message 3 of 31
electra
Established Contributor

Lender is also Navy Federal.  The loan docs don't say anything about a down payment or even that one is required.  It's a preapproval for a specific amount.  It does say that the loan can only be for up to 125% of the NADA Retail value but that won't be an issue.

Message 4 of 31
enharu
Super Contributor

I might have misunderstood you. I thought you are trying to pay for your auto loan using a credit card.

Most dealerships let you charge 2000-3000 on a credit card. If you are buying an expensive car or an exotic one, they will usually let you put the whole car on a credit card if you want to, since the profit margins on those are much bigger. Talk to your dealership. If your dealership is okay with it, and you can pif like you said, do it! Free rewards anyhow.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 31
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

And this folks is how a new churner is born Smiley Very Happy

If paying by CC, any CC, make sure it makes financial sense, aka, you are coming out ahead. Value the points, the inconvenience, etc, honestly and decide if it's worth it.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 6 of 31
fltn
Frequent Contributor

I put $2000 of a down payment on a credit card at a hyundai dealership.

The downpayment is not part of the loan, so it is not paying a loan with a credit card.

Got 5% cash back for this.

Also my mother just got a used car and I put it on my NFCU cash rewards. $6500.00.

She was gonna pay cash but we used my card for the rewards. There was no problem there from dealership or NFCU.

This was 1% cash back, but it is 6500 towards my spend 10,000 and everything after is 1.5% cash back on signature cash rewards.

Currently "freezing" in the garden!
Message 7 of 31
electra
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:
I might have misunderstood you. I thought you are trying to pay for your auto loan using a credit card.

Most dealerships let you charge 2000-3000 on a credit card. If you are buying an expensive car or an exotic one, they will usually let you put the whole car on a credit card if you want to, since the profit margins on those are much bigger. Talk to your dealership. If your dealership is okay with it, and you can pif like you said, do it! Free rewards anyhow.

No, not the whole loan, just what I'm putting down...probably around $15k.  To me the car is expensive but I'm not sure what qualifies as expensive. Smiley Happy  

I'll check with the dealership and also Navy just to be safe.  Would be nice to get the cash back! 

Message 8 of 31
electra
Established Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

And this folks is how a new churner is born Smiley Very Happy

If paying by CC, any CC, make sure it makes financial sense, aka, you are coming out ahead. Value the points, the inconvenience, etc, honestly and decide if it's worth it.

What's a churner?  I think I get 2% cash back from Navy on my VISA Sig Cash Rewards so if I run a $15k down payment through that would be $300 back.  Seems like a good deal!

Message 9 of 31
enharu
Super Contributor

You will be fine. Smiley Tongue
My dealership allowed only 2500 on a credit card because I was really hard on the price lol. Got my car 1400 below true car prices. No other dealership in California was even willing to go 800 below true car for what I wanted.

Check with your dealership what's the max they allow. The more you bargain on the prices, the less they will allow. You can always ask them for the discount upfront and just pay cash. They are going to get charged transaction fees if u use a card, so might as well let you have a bigger discount and they avoid that fee altogether.

For cars 80k and up pretax, most car dealerships will let you pif using a credit card without any issues unless you really got a good bargain on the price.

My friend only has 10k limit on her csp and Beverly Hills Porsche allowed her to put the whole car on the card. She literally had to do 11 payments and drop by the branch 11 days in a row except Sunday to pay in full before she was able to finally pick the car up. The trouble she went through for rewards.... Worth it I suppose.
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.