Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG! Approved for Amex Blue w/$10k CL!

tag
boardworks
Established Member

OMG! Approved for Amex Blue w/$10k CL!

After spending the last 6 months aggressively pursuing PFD and other tactics to clean-up my credit records, I *finally* applied for my first prime CC after having only rebuilder cards from Orchard and CapitalOne -- this time, I applied for the American Express Blue Cash Preferred Rewards card.  I opted to apply via phone and spoke to a wonderful CSR named Jaime who took my app.  I was soooo nervous, palms were sweating and my heard was racing!  Jaime (CSR) was so sweet listening to my story when we were going through the app process -- and when she said "Finally, do I have your permission to submit your application" my heart stopped beating for at least 10 seconds -- and then, Jaime shouted "Hooray!  You've been approved, congratulations!"  Got the card with a 0% intro rate for 12 months and a $10k CL!

I can't tell you how great it feels to have built my credit back to good standing!  I LOVE myFICO Forums!  You all have done so much for me without really knowing it, but thanks to everyone who's ever posed here!

One question for you experts: now that I have a huge self-esteem boost, I am tempted to apply for another CC (Marriott Rewards Visa from Chase, received a pre-approved offer for 50k miles) but don't want to over do it.  Is there any risk of Amex reversing their decision if I apply for another CC, or is there a risk for my approval with Chase because of the Amex application?

Thanks again all!

Rebuilding my credit since 2/2007; starting scores:
TU 584 | EQ 572 | EX 591
Scores as of 7/2011:
TU 738 | EQ 707 | EX 730 (Experian PLUS Score)

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
cf2701
Regular Contributor

Re: OMG! Approved for Amex Blue w/$10k CL!

Congrats!!

BBVA Clearpoints $16,000 | Discover $13,900 | CECU Visa $10,000 | NFCU Go Rewards Visa Sig. $18,500 | NFCU CLOC $15,000 | PayPal CB MC $10,000 | Paypal Credit $10,000 | Card $7,500 | AMX Hilton Honors Ascend $2,000 | Wayfair $23,900 | Sportsmans Guide Visa $12,400 | Kohls $3,000 | Capital One Savor One $3,500 | PNC Cash Rewards $17,000 | PenFed Power Cash Rewards $10,000 | PenFed Gold $10,000 | Lowe's $20,000 | Best Buy Visa $4,000 | Home Depot $4,000 | NFCU Platinum $25,000
Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently did Amex and chase back to back with no issues. They pulled different scores. I was a new chase customer but this is my second Amex (if it matters).
Message 3 of 35
Cranston
Established Member

congrats - great limit.

Message 4 of 35
Switch2007
Contributor

Thats soooo awesome! I definitely know the feeling of being approved after so much hard work in cleaning up credit. 

I say you should go ahead and apply. Your scores are pretty good, and you should have a good chance of being approved. How great! I'm so happy for you!

Starting Score: 08/01/2009 584
Current Score: 08/01/2011 EQ 684 EX (Lender Pull) 702 TU 712
Goal Score: 780+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 35
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

The only reason I would wait on the Chase app is if your new Amex is by far your highest CL.  Chase is a weird bag of who knows most of the time.

btw I think that is pretty much an amazing starting CL with Amex... My friend just got Costco with a TU Fico of 802 and was given $7500.

Message 6 of 35
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

If you don't mind me asking, how many CCs did you have before this and how long were they open? I'm pretty sure I want to get this card.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Message 7 of 35
boardworks
Established Member

Thanks all for your support!

@LTomBerry wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, how many CCs did you have before this and how long were they open? I'm pretty sure I want to get this card.

I have three CC's:

• @Orchard Bank Master Card @ $700 CL
  • @Orchard Bank Visa @ $700 CL
  • @Anonymous Platinum Visa @ $750 CL

I also have three installment loans (auto) and a mortgage with Wachovia.  It is a huge CL, but I'm very happy for that!  Thanks again all

Rebuilding my credit since 2/2007; starting scores:
TU 584 | EQ 572 | EX 591
Scores as of 7/2011:
TU 738 | EQ 707 | EX 730 (Experian PLUS Score)

Message 8 of 35
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

How long have your existing cards been open?

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Message 9 of 35
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I have three CC's:

• Orchard Bank Master Card @ $700 CL
  • Orchard Bank Visa @ $700 CL
  • CapitalOne Platinum Visa @ $750 CL

I also have three installment loans (auto) and a mortgage with Wachovia.  It is a huge CL, but I'm very happy for that!  Thanks again all

Credit cards are so weird sometimes... don't get me wrong not hating on you at all!!! but how does the computer system at Amex see $750 as highest CL currently and pop back a 10k line with 700 score.  it's got to be because of the mortgage in my eyes... that's the only thing that the 2 people i know with recent approvals with amex in the last week don't have. I know it's pure speculation but does anyone have thoughts?

I know we have AA to compare

Scores

other CL and UTIL

Income

am I missing any other considerations by the oh so confusing Amex approval process and altering EX reports! lol

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.