Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OT - I Fell off the wagon :(

tag
Bronxbomber

Re: OT - I Fell off the wagon :(

Kiwill ,

I think you should cut up the credit cards. Don't close the accounts but just cut them up until you can pay off the balances. It is what I did and it has worked. Also as Blackout said, get into the habit of using your debit card. That way if the money is not available, you won't shop.

Good luck Girl.

Starting Score: 549 Early 2007
Current Score: EQ 666 TU679 Exp 699 10/13/2010
Goal Score: 715

Always a work in progress....

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

This sounds like something I would have done. I don't have clothes but I am saving for a house in October.  I think there is no harm done. You caught yourself and sounds like you deserve some new clothes. I probably would have paid for half in cash but its all a process. You know you have to pay it back so enjoy your new look.

Message 22 of 28
Kiwill
Frequent Contributor

Thanks agaiin for all the great advice.  I have been doing great, I haven't bought anymore close or shoes and have no urge to.  Another reason I went crazy in the shoe department is because while at Marshalls, they actually had some nice shoes in my size for once; size 11Smiley Surprised, and I just had to take advantage of the opportunity because usually I walk out of shoe stores empty handed and very upset because I couldn't find anything, so once I got started it was hard to stop but i'm good now.  My credit cards are put away and I am back in the right mind set.  I just put about $400 on CC payments on Wednesday and have $300 more next week, so by the end of May I will have paid about $1200 on cc's,  thanks for helping me refocus. 

Starting Score: EQ 729, TU 752, EX ? (1/1/2011)
Current Score: EQ 696, TU 718, EX 686 - PSECU (5/17/2011)
Goal Score: ALL 800+ by December 31, 2011

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
PROUD MEMBER OF THE 700 CLUB!
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kiwill wrote:

Thanks agaiin for all the great advice.  I have been doing great, I haven't bought anymore close or shoes and have no urge to.  Another reason I went crazy in the shoe department is because while at Marshalls, they actually had some nice shoes in my size for once; size 11Smiley Surprised, and I just had to take advantage of the opportunity because usually I walk out of shoe stores empty handed and very upset because I couldn't find anything, so once I got started it was hard to stop but i'm good now.  My credit cards are put away and I am back in the right mind set.  I just put about $400 on CC payments on Wednesday and have $300 more next week, so by the end of May I will have paid about $1200 on cc's,  thanks for helping me refocus. 

Kiwill,

I think that you beat yourself up for nothing!!! You have worked hard, and you deserve some of the fruits of your labor!! If you needed clothes, then you needed clothes!! I mean, you said that all that you had was t-shirts and jeans, I believe. Well, you can't wear that to a nice restaurant or a cocktail party or any special event. (This is not always appropriate attire.). You obviously needed a new wardrobe. I don't think that this was a splurge...it was a need. And to say that you only spent $800 on clothes, shoes AND accessories, you did great!!

I know that you recognize that you can't do this all of the time, but I think that this was what you needed to do, as you did not have the right clothes. Now all that you have to do now is budget $50 to $100 a month, and just add a piece here and a piece there to keep your wardrobe fresh. And if you don't spend that money, just let it roll over to the next month. And when the colder months come around, you will have saved enough to purchase cold weather clothing, and pay cash this time. Then your wardrobe will be complete.

If I had spent $800 on a shopping spree, I would feel crazy guilty!! I am in the process of house hunting, and I would be making a grave mistake. You have a home and you are investing in it. You need to invest in yourself as well. I love to shop...it's in my blood!!! (No shopping sprees for me right now, though!!) But, I know how to be smart about it now, and I know that you do, too!!! You'll have that $800 paid off in no time. No sweat!!!

We are all working hard to re-build/maintain our credit. But that doesn't mean that we need to "starve" ourselves. We have educated ourselves and we are all the smarter for it. We would NOT do anything to jeopardize all that we have accomplished.

Enjoy your new look and be happy!! Just my opinion.

Jelly

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

New York & Co just had a big 50% sale. I like you have gotten my cards down to 0.  My NYC card is now about 200.00. I think sometimes we need to feel great about ourselves.  Yes my credit score has dropped a little.  However, I just bought a Honda Accord and I'm still in the top percentile for the Fico scoring system.  A lil splurge here and there is not a problem.  How you rectify the problem is.  I work two jobs and I am going to devote to pay the NYC card off in one month so as not to get finance charges.  I may be eating soup and sandwiches for lunch but I will get it done.  I suggest you get dresses that you can accessorize.  that black dress can look like 10 different dresses. TRUST ME!  A sale like 50% is not going to come and go by me.  I purchase a few accessories as well.  I can do better with my credit but I know I have the basics and to me that is MOST IMPORTANT.  My foundation is set. Pay before you are charged interest or else Valerie you are as succor! That is what I tell myself!LOL

Do things in moderation and stop feeling and get to action of paying back! 

Signed,
NYC sisters in crime!LOL

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all, stop beating yourself up. 

We all need to shop for clothes, just like we need to eat.  And who wants to feel bad about their wardrobe when all their girlfriends are looking great in new spring outfits... 

Problem is the starvation -diet syndrome.  Eat nothing but yogurt and salads for a couple weeks and you will be itching for that cheeseburger and shake... same with restricting your spending.

I completed a short sale of my home and now that I have been released from financial prison Smiley Wink I have the urge to spend , because I've been on a tight budget over the past couple years struggling to manage my rising mortgage costs.  Finally, that's over, but now I have to keep my goal in mind of paying off roughly $3000 of credit card debt Smiley Sad

But it is unrealistic not to spend on dinners out occasionally, or new clothes.  The solution is to create a realistic budget (ie $300 per month for new clothes; $150 for meals out, some other amount for additional "entertainment" (drinks with friends, movies, concerts) and stick to it.  I use Mint.com to help me stay on track. 

I would definitely avoid the store credit cards, the 25 percent interest really BLOWS!   Try to avoid the mall because it fosters impulse buying, and create a list of what you want (one "girls night out" outfit, two pairs of sandals, one pair of summers shorts, one sundress) and go online.  Try RetailMeNot.com for coupons and free shipping.  A lot of retailers will take back online purchases at their mall store if they do not work for you. 

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kiwill,

First in my opinion buying clothes at NY&CO is buying throw away clothes, they do not wear well and certainly will not last for years and have no resale value. I shop at high end department stores, outlet stores and consignment shops and only shop of the sale racks most items that I buy I end up selling on Ebay for what I paid or close to what I paid. It is fun getting all dressed up and shopping at the high end malls, the service is superior and boy do you feel special even the consignment shops that I shop at deal in high high end. example I bought 2 beautiful pairs of shoes from the consignment shop - A pair of jeweld Rene Caovilla and Manolo Blahnik Sandals in novemeber on clearance paid $105 for both pairs ( bargain they were just like new and would have cost me around $600 or more new ) -wore them on vacation in february and then sold them on Ebay for $130. To sweeten the pot I have a visa card that draws of my paypal account so at this point I never have to take money out of my budget to buy clothes. When it comes to my kids I shop the clearance racks at the end of the season my son at age 8 didn't realize that some kids wear an outfit twice because he wears and outfit and then I hand wash it and sell it. I'm telling you try this it is awesome!!!!!! Of course it is nice when you got to functions and everyone is complementing you on your outfit and praising you for always looking great. Further I don't always sell everything but what I do keep are basics - classic dress pants in Black, Brown and Blue ect. Further if you have something in your closet that you have not worn in the past 3 months it needs to go.

Hope this help,

A true shopper at heart

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand.  I'm dying for a Kohl's card but

so far i'VE HELD OFF!!! 

OMG.. a Kohl's card would be the death of me!  Love Kohl's but I'm not doing it.  Cash n' carry for me!

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.