cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTL Fee with Chase and they won't remove?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OTL Fee with Chase and they won't remove?

I haven't had my chase card very long.... probably about 9 or 10 months, but i've always paid on time. In July I didn't take into account what my interest charges would be when I used the card, and the interest pushed me OTL by about 30 cents. Literally. Yes I know I should not have been that high on the card, but what's done is done, won't make that mistake again. Well they "forgot" to charge me my OTL fee until this past statement. I called 2 weeks ago and the lady was real nice said they would drop the fee for me since I've been such a good customer. Well checked my balance today and it was still high, so I checked, and sure enough the fee had not been removed. So I called back. This lady said that it got kicked to an approval committee who denied removing the fee because they "don't remove fees". Well then why pay a committee if they will always say no? So I asked if she could request them to look at it again anyway because I have been a great customer. She said no, so I basically told her to relay to them once I pay off the card I will be cancelling it. She just told me to have a nice day. Is this typical of Chase? (it's a chase amazon card if that matters), or is there something I can do to get this fee removed?

Anne

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: OTL Fee with Chase and they won't remove?

You could try calling to speak with someone different. I guess it would depend on what if anything was added to the notes on your account, whether they will do it.

I would suggest getting that balance down, or you may not be the one who closes the account first. Did your APR rise due to this?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its not still OTL. but within 25 dollars. That's not counting the payment i have set to get there tomorrow. So I doubt they will close it. But once i pay it off I am either going to try to get them to remove the fee again (after not using it at all for a few months) or I guess I will close it. I think that's awful business not to do a 1 time courtesy, especially since it was interest that pushed me over, and not a purchase i made, and since it was less than $1 over. I guess I will try again tomorrow with a different person. Worth a shot.

Anne

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck with the request.

Things are tightening up with lender's and it's not just AMEX who is slashing credit lines and closing accounts. We need to becareful with what we do with our accounts right now and carrying a maxed out card is dangerous.

Message 4 of 5
Miner
Frequent Contributor

In general, when you have a high balance on your CCs, I've had less success in getting fees waved.  They seem to feel that you are stuck with the card and paying the fees since you haven't shown that you can pay it off.  And since it happened to me with more then one bank, getting mad and going elsewhere may not solve the problem.  Also, it's pointless to close the card unless you can pay it off, and don't mind losing the CL and how it effects your Util % in generating your FICO score.
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.