Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obligatory AmEx backdating success post

tag
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

Obligatory AmEx backdating success post

Way back in 2008 (yes, I know; that's a long time ago); I got a corporate AmEx card; due to having to travel for work. At the time, I paid cash for everything, and didn't even want a credit card. But; I got it, because I couldn't afford to float a months worth of hotel, food, airfare, etc; while waiting for the expense report to get approved. Naturally, to make things easier; I set up the card with online access through the AmEx website.

Fast forward to Dec 2010. I got my first real AmEx, in my own name; reporting to the CRAs. Then I got my second AmEx last month (backdated to 2010, but hasn't reported to the CRAs yet).  All 3 cards are managed through the same online access. 

Fast forward again; to last night. I decided to try to get my 2 personal card backdated to the 2008 date, shown on the Corporate AmEx. 

I wrote a nice note via the online email contact, inquiring why 2 of my cards say 2010; while the other says 2008. I asked if I could get them all to say 2008.

This morning in the email I received; the advisor that acknowledged that I had a member since 2008; but I needed to call the number on the back of the card; to speak with a 'trained representative'; and they would update the account; and send new cards. Also; "as a more tangible expression" of their concern; the advisor issued a $25 credit to my account (to post within 24 - 48 hours). 

At that point, I was sceptical that they wouldbe backdated; as I'd need to talk to someone. And that person would likely call me on the corporate card issue. I'd read that some people had success; but others didn't. But hey.. I'd already been given a $25 statement credit, for the issue. 

When calling today; I chearfully mentioned I had contacted them via the online email; and was directed to call the number on the card. This time I took a slightly different angle; and mentioned that my online access stated member since 2008. After a quick review; the phone advisor mentioned that the dates were probably off in the system; since the original card was a corporate card. I thought I was done at that point. But; he mentioned he hadn't seen a descrepency like that before; and it must be a glitch in the system. 

I let it slip that I had heard they backdated cards. He acknowledged that they do; but didn't offer it straight away. So; I asked if I could get the member since dates on the cards to match the date shown on the online access. He promptly said yes; and that he'd need to put me on hold for a bit. After a few minutes; he came back, and apologized for the wait (I assume he was checking with whomever is next up in the support food chain).

2 minutes later; the forms he had to fill out were complete; and he said I'd be receiving the new cards in 7 - 10 business days; with the updated member dates (and probably new expiration dates too). 

In summary:

- Added 2 years to my history on those 2 cards (assuming the CRAs are updated too)

- I got a $25 statement credit to do it

- If everything pans out with the backdating; I think AmEx may have added me as a customer for life

- It really does pay to read the MyFico forums

This really made my day; so I thought I'd share. 

Edit: Proofreading before posting is recommended.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Obligatory AmEx backdating success post

Funny  iwas thinking about the same situation some days ago where my Corp AMEX said Member since 2006 but I just got a Zync and I wanted it backdated to 2001. So the agent on the phone told me that I will be receving a new card stating member since 01.

But online, I manage both cards on the same login so to speak and it still says member since 2006. I think having two accounts with two different dates is screwing up the system. But should it say member since 2001 since Im getting new cards?

Message 2 of 5
johnnie198x
Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Funny  iwas thinking about the same situation some days ago where my Corp AMEX said Member since 2006 but I just got a Zync and I wanted it backdated to 2001. So the agent on the phone told me that I will be receving a new card stating member since 01.

But online, I manage both cards on the same login so to speak and it still says member since 2006. I think having two accounts with two different dates is screwing up the system. But should it say member since 2001 since Im getting new cards?

So did you get your corp Amex in 2006 or 2001? It's been 2 months since your post, so does your card say 2001 now?

AmEx Blue Cash Everyday - $1,100 - need CLI or will close
BankAmerica Cash Rewards - $10,000
Chase Freedom - $10,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5,000
Chase Ink Bold - $5,000
Citi Platinum Select - $2,600
Discover More - $4,000
Message 3 of 5
sandsanta
Contributor

There was a benefactor over at another credit card board who allowed qualified individuals to AU on his Amex account so they could get backdated to 1982.  There was someone esle in the same thread that said he AU'd on his fathers card to 1965. Not sure how true these stories were, but I thought they were interesting.

Message 4 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I believe it.  AMEX will backdate when you are added as an AU, you can be backdated to any date, even prior to your birth.  Smiley Very Happy

Gotta wonder though, when someone starts to have dozens of AU accounts does someone at AMEX take a closer look at you ???

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.