Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 121
Registered: ‎07-23-2007
0

Obsess with Express

Hello,

 

I have a question and seeing any suggestions.  Should I apply for American Express.  I think I am interested in the Starwood, and/or the Delta.  Here is my situation, EX is clean, no inquires, no BK, no CO completely clean - AAOA about 4.9 years, history close to 9 yrs.  Utilizations high 30 to low 40%.  I use USAA for monitoring system and my Plus score is 740.

 

EQ is 687 and TU is 712 (FICO) . . . any suggestions is appreciated.  By the way each report is clean of inquiries none for the last two years, and no new credit for the last four years.  I have a BK reported on EQ and TU, but will drop by 10.13.  I have researched this company and I completely understand the power of superior service, and American Express clearly set the pace . . . 

 

-Thanks,

 

HotPoint

 

Current scores above

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,987
Registered: ‎06-25-2012
0

Re: Obsess with Express

Did you have any amex accts on your bk?
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 250
Registered: ‎08-19-2012
0

Re: Obsess with Express

AMEX is real picky with certain things, I say wait until january since the bk will drop, it's right around the corner.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎07-29-2012
0

Re: Obsess with Express

I was approved last month with BK still reporting from 2004 and Amex was included in my BK Green card with under $700 CO.

My fico from Amex was 742.

Cap1 QS $11500, Freedom $5000K, Slate $8000 Amex Sky $2000K, Discover IT $4400, BCE $8800, NFL $1500, Lowes $7000

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: 742
Goal Score: 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
Posts: 121
Registered: ‎07-23-2007
0

Re: Obsess with Express


jsickz32 wrote:
Did you have any amex accts on your bk?

No, I did not have Amex on my BK.  I am aware of the negative impact that the BK has.  As I mentioned, my EX report is completely clean of any negative accts. i.e. BK, CO lates, etc.  I have read that Amex likes to pull EX, which is why I posted the comments.

 

Thanks,

 

HotPoint

Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 11,058
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: Obsess with Express

[ Edited ]

Delta traditionally is easier than SPG which is one of their elite revolvers apparently.

 

If you can reduce your utilization beforehand I'd say you might have a shot at the SPG; however, the Delta Skymiles card is much easier to obtain, and if you're just looking to establish a relationship that's the way to go if you're dead set on a revolver I think.  Personally with a BK showing I think I'd go the charge card route now, and then whatever revolver I wanted long term in 1/14.

 

Either way, I'd make myself look as pretty as possible by paying down the revolving utilization prior to applying.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 693, EQ 8 685, TU 705, EX 709 (02/27/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,300
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
0

Re: Obsess with Express


Revelate wrote:

Delta traditionally is easier than SPG which is one of their elite revolvers apparently.

 

If you can reduce your utilization beforehand I'd say you might have a shot at the SPG; however, the Delta Skymiles card is much easier to obtain, and if you're just looking to establish a relationship that's the way to go if you're dead set on a revolver I think.  Personally with a BK showing I think I'd go the charge card route now, and then whatever revolver I wanted long term in 1/14.

 

Either way, I'd make myself look as pretty as possible by paying down the revolving utilization prior to applying.


 

Speaking of easy vs. elite revolvers, how would you rank their revolvers from easiest to most difficult to be approved for?

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Epic Contributor
Posts: 24,679
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Obsess with Express

I would apply for Charge Card and if approved go back in and try for the revolver you want... 1 INQ - probably pretty good chance.

Also if you are at 30-40% and can't pay it off why not open new account and BT what you have now... not sure your limits but with no inq or new accounts in over 2 years, you are probably in a pretty good place to get a few new bigger cards and get that util overall down while you work on the individual util.

Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 705 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
88 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 11,058
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: Obsess with Express


CreditScholar wrote:

Revelate wrote:

Delta traditionally is easier than SPG which is one of their elite revolvers apparently.

 

If you can reduce your utilization beforehand I'd say you might have a shot at the SPG; however, the Delta Skymiles card is much easier to obtain, and if you're just looking to establish a relationship that's the way to go if you're dead set on a revolver I think.  Personally with a BK showing I think I'd go the charge card route now, and then whatever revolver I wanted long term in 1/14.

 

Either way, I'd make myself look as pretty as possible by paying down the revolving utilization prior to applying.


 

Speaking of easy vs. elite revolvers, how would you rank their revolvers from easiest to most difficult to be approved for?


I don't have near enough information to try to rank all of them myself, I typically just go to the various credit pulls databases and try to datamine some approval ranges.  I do know that Amex sent me a pre-approval once upon a time for a Delta Skymiles during the downturn and I've never been FICO pretty regardless.  I don't think the underwriting criteria for that card has changed much in the past two years.

 

However for giggles, a pure swag (with disclaimers, income matters after all):

 

- Delta

- Costco?

- Hilton?

- Clear?

- SPG/BCE/BCP

 

 

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 693, EQ 8 685, TU 705, EX 709 (02/27/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
Posts: 121
Registered: ‎07-23-2007
0

Re: Obsess with Express


Creditaddict wrote:

I would apply for Charge Card and if approved go back in and try for the revolver you want... 1 INQ - probably pretty good chance.

Also if you are at 30-40% and can't pay it off why not open new account and BT what you have now... not sure your limits but with no inq or new accounts in over 2 years, you are probably in a pretty good place to get a few new bigger cards and get that util overall down while you work on the individual util.


Thanks for the powerful suggestion - I called Amex on yesterday just to get a feel.  Although, I never explained my credit profile to the CSR, she asked if I frequently fly and made a suggestion for the Delta card.  I agree about the utilization, but to answer your question - I have USAA CL 5k, and my Freedom is 4200 CL.  I had thought about obtaining a CC with a higher limit . . . maybe the NCFU, and Amex later.

 

Thanks again for the comments - great suggestions . . .

 

-HotPoint

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.