Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtain more credit, or garden?

tag
rebuilding123
New Contributor

Obtain more credit, or garden?

Let me say first and foremost... THANK YOU myFICO Community! You guys have helped me so much on my journey thus far. I've learned so much over the past few months in regards to credit. I've improved my score WAY over 100 points in just a few months. LONG time lurker, finally making first official post!

That being said. I am pushing past 10 inquires currently and would really like to settle with what I've established over the past few months. At the same time, I am tempted to keep apping for more credit to build a deep overall credit limit and allow them all to age together.

My AAoA is between 3-4 years

I have zero derogs

98%TU and 82%EQ payment history

Current Utilization is 21%(dropping to 9% on next report)

17 TL's being reported

Current income is 72K

Would I be better off just apping for what I can get or sitting it out with what I currently have(in sig)? I am fairly confident in my recon skills if denied so I'm not too concerned about getting hit with inq with no results. Thanks for advice.

Military Star $6.7K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7K | Barclays Arrival $3K | BankAmericard Platinum Plus $2.5K | Blue Nile $4.5K
Starting Score: ~490 (April 2015)
FICO 8: 712 EQ // 695 TU // 701 EX (August 2016)
Goal Score: 720
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
driftless
Valued Contributor

Re: Obtain more credit, or garden?

You have some nice card already. I would close the Credit One, get your util to 1%, and garden.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 2 of 5
jbsea
Established Contributor

So are the 5 cards you are showing in your signature from the last 7 months?  If so I would garden and let them grow.  I know it is hard when your reading these forums all the time, I had to take a break from being on here just to get myself to stop.  But I think if you give it time to grow you will find that you get better offers on % and better SL.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 3 of 5
EdMan63
Established Contributor

I agree with the others to just garden and let your accounts grow. During that time instead of thinking about credit cards, map out a plan of what you really want to accomplish credit wise. How many cards do you really need and which cards in particular will truly help you achieve your goals. I think too many people come on this site and get caught up in applying for way more cards than they really need. Then they end up closing all the cards they no longer want. The average consumer only has 3-4 cards period. Quite honestly most people don't really need more than that if you have average needs and average income and don't travel a ton. I've been trying to figure out what to add myself and I keep coming up with nothing that really matters so I must not need anymore cards. Waiting can be a good thing. 

Message 4 of 5
jbsea
Established Contributor

I can attest to what Edman is saying... I have a lot of cards that I dont want or use.  Some I've out grown others I should not have gotten.  In reality I can cut my cards down to four and be perfectly happy. 

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.