cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining more credit with a new card

tag
nb11tk

Obtaining more credit with a new card

Im have been fixing my credit in the past couple of years. I managed to get it to 685 from 526

I have 2 credit cards and 1 secure card.

The secured Capital one card i got first couple of years ago (my first card in years), then about 8 months ago i applied and opend Credit one bank credit card with $250 limit (which went up to $500 credit limit since)

Few months ago i opened a Discover card with $8000 limit.

I would like to obtain more credit, so i was wondering:

Should i close the Credit one card and try to apply for a better card? Will closing a  credit card hurt me although i have it only for this short time?

Thanks for the help guys..... 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Re: Obtaining more credit with a new card

With you only having it for 8 months, but your first CC you've had for a few years, I don't think it would hurt your AAoA that bad. But honestly, I would take the hit even if it did to get rid of Credit One. 

EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also take a look at AMEX. AMEX is a great card to get.

Message 3 of 6
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I would close Credit one as someone stated it will report positive up to ten years. Amex would be a good choice as any other AMEX in the future would be backdated. Also check Chase pre-qualify the are pretty rock solid.

Good Luck! 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nb11tk wrote:

Im have been fixing my credit in the past couple of years. I managed to get it to 685 from 526

I have 2 credit cards and 1 secure card.

The secured Capital one card i got first couple of years ago (my first card in years), then about 8 months ago i applied and opend Credit one bank credit card with $250 limit (which went up to $500 credit limit since)

Few months ago i opened a Discover card with $8000 limit.

I would like to obtain more credit, so i was wondering:

Should i close the Credit one card and try to apply for a better card? Will closing a  credit card hurt me although i have it only for this short time?

Thanks for the help guys..... 

Which of your bureau's reports 685?

Message 5 of 6
nb11tk

Thanks a lot

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.