Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd EMV Credit Card Receipt

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Odd EMV Credit Card Receipt

When I use my USAA Visa chip/signature card at Wal-Mart, the receipt says "Visa Credit" before the truncated account number, and when I use either of my Amex chip/signature cards the receipt reads "American Express" before the truncated account number, which is also to be expected.

When I used my new Capital One QS1 Mastercard at Wal-Mart, I noticed the PIN-pad displayed "Capital One" when I inserted the card.  Later, upon a closer look at the receipt, I noticed the paper receipt has "Capital One" printed in front of the truncated account number, instead of the card brand.  The receipt does have "MCard Tender" beneath the total, but this is the first time I've ever had a bank's name appear on a cash register receipt.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Odd EMV Credit Card Receipt

@UncleB wrote:

When I use my USAA Visa chip/signature card at Wal-Mart, the receipt says "Visa Credit" before the truncated account number, and when I use either of my Amex chip/signature cards the receipt reads "American Express" before the truncated account number, which is also to be expected.

When I used my new Capital One QS1 Mastercard at Wal-Mart, I noticed the PIN-pad displayed "Capital One" when I inserted the card.  Later, upon a closer look at the receipt, I noticed the paper receipt has "Capital One" printed in front of the truncated account number, instead of the card brand.  The receipt does have "MCard Tender" beneath the total, but this is the first time I've ever had a bank's name appear on a cash register receipt.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I used my QS1 EMV card in London a few weeks ago and as it was processing is said "capital one" on screen on the pin pad. I thought it was odd too.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's really not all that odd.

Message 3 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's really not all that odd.

Really?  Having an issuer's name print on a receipt is certainly odd to me.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase's cards used to cause Walmart to say something like "Chase VisaCredit" for a bit. Then the Home Depot breach happened and caused me to get a replacement that just showed "Visa Credit". Cat Sad

Anyway, it's an optional thing that issuers can set up their cards to do. It doesn't seem all that common though.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would this be odd? Its totally normal.

How else besides online statements, would you be able to distinguish which card you used for a purchase? Other than having multiple cards from the same company, this would the the way to tell quickly which one you used if you needed to make a return.

Message 6 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

How else besides online statements, would you be able to distinguish which card you used for a purchase? Other than having multiple cards from the same company, this would the the way to tell quickly which one you used if you needed to make a return.

You're confusing 'odd' with 'bad'. 

It's not a 'bad' thing, but I don't think anybody will argue that it's been this way everywhere all along, because it hasn't.  Apparently it's an option for cards with EMV chips that previously I was unaware of.  I can say with certainty that in my decades of using cards with magnetic stripes, I've never seen this. 

To answer your question on how one would distinguish which card had been used for a purchase, in the past I've used the card number, or for the last few years, the truncated number (last four digits).

It's just a 'new thing', and I wondered if anybody else had noticed.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Isn't the card type (Visa/MC/etc) and the last four digits enough usually? I wouldn't think it's that likely one would have two of the same type of card with different beginning digits and the same last four.

Message 8 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You're confusing 'odd' with 'bad'. 

It's not a 'bad' thing, but I don't think anybody will argue that it's been this way everywhere all along, because it hasn't.  Apparently it's an option for cards with EMV chips that previously I was unaware of.  I can say with certainty that in my decades of using cards with magnetic stripes, I've never seen this. 

To answer your question on how one would distinguish which card had been used for a purchase, in the past I've used the card number, or for the last few years, the truncated number (last four digits).

It's just a 'new thing', and I wondered if anybody else had noticed.

I used my new US Bank Cash+ at Target today, and Target required the EMV chip to be entered in the reader. On the receipt, though, it only shows Visa Credit, and no reference at all to the last four on the card, which I find annoying.

I went to Safeway yesterday, and because I used the loyalty card, my receipt has my full name printed on it, American Express, and the last four digits of the AMEX number. I like getting the last four digits, to keep track of which card made the charge, but Safeway has been putting my full name on receipts (the few times I do go there) for years, and I find that just pointless, marginally annoying. The only real purpose I can figure is it gives the cashier a chance to "personalize" the transaction by calling out your name so everyone can hear.

So, in extremis, a person nearby sees which card I have, which gives them a good idea for the first 6 digits. If they get the receipt (presuming I'm typical and dump it in the waste bin) they get my full name and the last four digits of the card number, now all they have to do is make up the middle 5-6 digits and an expiration date to try to have fun with the credit line.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.