Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd situation RE: Unactivated secure CapOne card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odd situation RE: Unactivated secure CapOne card

I opened a secured CapOne acct ($255) about 8 months ago but I eventually realized (after 2 months) that it had been delivered to a closed down ajacent business that I do not have access to. This is the acct that finally got me a credit report after many years without. It is also my oldest account which is why I haven't reported it lost. It is still unactivated but reports positively every month. Obviously the secured funds are useless to me under these current conditions but as my other 3 accounts are only 2 months old (CAP1, AMZ and DISC - secured) I'd rather not lose my overall CA. Should I call and explain what happened and ask for a new card for the same acct or will they close it out and start a new acct? Perhaps I should wait until all my newer accts have gained a 6 month CA and then cancel? Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Odd situation RE: Unactivated secure CapOne card

I'd call and say you've lost the card. They should cancel the old card and send you a new one. I wouldn't mention anything about the delivery issue with the first card - why complicate matters if you don't have to?

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good advise form Adkins.  The card is, in fact, lost; get a new card, activate it-problem solved.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if this would raise any red flags but you could use Capital One's mobile wallet app to get access to your card number if you wanted to use it some before calling in for a replacement card to show some use. 

https://www.capitalone.com/applications/mobile/wallet/

Message 4 of 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I think using it before talking to Capital One would just complicate things. Additionally, the card hasn't been activated. It might not be possible to use it anyway.

I agree with the advice to simply say it was lost. However, an updated address might be necessary to get the replacement.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.