Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odds of Getting Amex Green Card

tag
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

Odds of Getting Amex Green Card

I'm currently a full time student and I have a part time job thats makes 10k a year. I have a wells fargo college cash back card (3/12), Discover It (1/13), Citi Forward (12/12), and Capital One Journey (1/13). Do you guys think i have a chance of getting this card approved? 

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: Odds of Getting Amex Green Card

A chance?  Sure.  At the very least, wait until you have a year of history on the Wells Fargo card in March.

We could better tell you what that chance is if you give is a bit more info about your credit history.  Any derogatories?

Message 2 of 16
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Do you know your scores?

The UW criteria for their charge cards isn't all that strict. Your oldest card is almost a year old, i think they only look for 6 months, but im not entirely sure how those new accounts would fare.

Message 3 of 16
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

My credit report is pretty clean, no late payments or collections. Only 20% usage and my dicover or cap one have not been reported yet. My transunion score is 703 pull by citi, also experian 717 from creditsesame, but the score I got from myfico is 679. I really want to start building a relationship with amex, I went ahead and applied, fingers cross. If denied, I'll just be a AU on my dad's gold card.

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
Message 4 of 16
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

How did it go? Did you get approved?

The Amex Green was my first Amex card an i was instantly approved on Nov. 2012. My oldest account is only 1.5 years (wells fargo). I'm a part time student a well.

Im pretty sure you have a chance for approval.
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 5 of 16
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

Don't know yet because they pull the wrong report, but it is in processing status. Did you get approved when your oldest account was 1.5yrs?

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
Message 6 of 16
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@CredittotheMax wrote:

Don't know yet because they pull the wrong report, but it is in processing status. Did you get approved when your oldest account was 1.5yrs?

Pulled wrong report?

You live in California or have your EX frozen?

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 16
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

@CredittotheMax wrote:

What do you mean by wrong report? Yeah it was instant approved. I applied for the zync twice (since i read it was an easy charge card to get) but i was denied both times so I was surprised to be approved for the green. 

Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 8 of 16
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

Well, its a long story. Me and my sister has a very similar first name and our SS # is only a number differ. So, a lot of her info was put on my report: like car loan, student loan, many inquires, and many cards. I ended up calling experian to correct it, and Amex told me they will reprocess the app. 

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
Message 9 of 16
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@CredittotheMax wrote:

Well, its a long story. Me and my sister has a very similar first name and our SS # is only a number differ. So, a lot of her info was put on my report: like car loan, student loan, many inquires, and many cards. I ended up calling experian to correct it, and Amex told me they will reprocess the app. 

that's crazy

Me and my sister had a very similar first and same last name.

Our SSN almost the same only 1 number different but we never have anything mess up like that.

I would call up all credit bureau and get them fix all.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.