Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odds of a Walmart Store Card increase or upgrade

tag
Daare2dreeam
Contributor

Odds of a Walmart Store Card increase or upgrade

I was approved for a Walmart Store card with $400 cl. I pay at least the minimum every month but carry a high balance. I think I may have missed one payment a few months back that I paid a few days after the statement closed.

I don't believe I've had the card a year yet. Am I likely to see a decent increase despite my high balance and low credit scores? I'm still in the high 500s to low 600s.

Also how likely do you think I am to receive an upgrade on the card and around when does that happen?
7 REPLIES 7
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Odds of a Walmart Store Card increase or upgrade

As for the increase, who knows...don't know how they view late payments in regards to increases.  As for an upgrade to MasterCard (which what I'm assuming you're after)...not likely.  Does it happen...yes, I've read maybe a time or 2 on here...but certainly not often.

Message 2 of 8
creditguy
Valued Contributor

In all honesty if you want CLI's with synchrony your going to have to make use of the card. That means using it and pay it down frequently. Carrying a high balance and only paying the minimum is not likely to yield a decent CLI if one at all. Remember you can always ask them for a CLI as well, you don't have to wait for them to act, best of luck.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:
In all honesty if you want CLI's with synchrony your going to have to make use of the card. That means using it and pay it down frequently. Carrying a high balance and only paying the minimum is not likely to yield a decent CLI if one at all. Remember you can always ask them for a CLI as well, you don't have to wait for them to act, best of luck.

What is going to have to happen is you're going to have to have a credit profile that supports CLIs with scores in the 700s.  Synchrony has very liberal CLIs for those types of people, if you're anything below that (mid 600s or lower) they don't touch you.  No matter how much usage you put on the card.  It's probably best to use it for a year, then cut the cord once your score supports a better card like Discover, Capital One or Chase. 

Message 4 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Daare2dreeam wrote:
I was approved for a Walmart Store card with $400 cl. I pay at least the minimum every month but carry a high balance. I think I may have missed one payment a few months back that I paid a few days after the statement closed.

I don't believe I've had the card a year yet. Am I likely to see a decent increase despite my high balance and low credit scores? I'm still in the high 500s to low 600s.

Also how likely do you think I am to receive an upgrade on the card and around when does that happen?

Your outcome will definitely vary.  I would suggest paying more than the minimum and using the card frequently.  No guarantees on the CLI, but your profile will need improvements with the scores and whatever else is holding it back.  Oh, and rule #1, don't make late payments - that doesn't usually bode well with lenders (set autopay if necessary).

Message 5 of 8
My_Fako
Established Contributor

My opinion is credit solutions, won't increase to you reach a 650 on Tu...

Amex PRG NPSL I Chase Marriott $10k I Venture $15.3k I Amex BCE $10K I PNC 13K I Chase IHG $8.6k l Amazon $6k l Chase Hyatt 20k l US Bank Cash+ $13K I Barclays $12.6k I Venture $13k l Discover it $4.6k l Express Next $3.1k l Amex EverDay $15K l Cabelas 1k I Wayfair $17.1k I Walmart $8k l SG $9.8k l Target $3.6K I PP 2K l AU Shell Gas $900 opened in 1974 l Ex 704 Tu 698 Eq 667

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

out of honesty, your history on that card alone is the opposite of what financial institutions want their cardholders to practice. do at least a year of solid history and paying on time, full balances, using it, wash rinse repeat. GL
Message 7 of 8
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@My_Fako wrote:

My opinion is credit solutions, won't increase to you reach a 650 on Tu...

Not exactly true...I was bumped on several of my Synch cards when I was in my low 600's.  The key is responsible use and time...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.